Notices

Newbie to the sight

Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie to the sight

Hi I don't know where else to turn , my family and friends have no idea how I feel they havnt walked in mine or my 2 son's shoes, and unfortunately our story didn't end well as 2 weeks ago their father , my ex died. I strongly suspect it was an overdose on liquid morphine won't know for sure till the toxology report comes back , I am heart broken as I tried to get him help and my boys seen him at his worst when he was high and my eldest who is 24 has saved his life once by calling an ambulance for him , it's hard cos we did get a long and he was a big part of my life for many yrs he was just so troubled towards the end , my eldest us showing no emotion , he is feeling angry I suspect he doesn't really want to talk about it and has thrown himself into work and is acting like nothing has happened, my youngest who is 16 is sad but it's not really hit him yet

we have been going through this alone and would just like to communicate with others who may understand the effects of addiction 😪
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sorry for what brings you here.
Stick around for support and advice.
Plenty of gen to glean .
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Like Snowy said, I am sorry for what brings you here but if your looking for support and understanding this is a great place to find it. There are lots of people in the family and friends forum that I know will support you and where you can hopefully not feel so alone in all this. xx
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My children’s father died of an heroin overdose 2 summers ago, they were 13 and 16 at the time. I had contacted their school guidance counselors so they could get some extra support, that may be something you can do on the down low for your 16 year old. But grief is an individual thing, we all are going to grieve differently, the best advice I can offer is to be there for your kids, let them know it’s not their fault. My 13 year old held a lot of guilt because towards the end she didn’t want to even talk to her father on the phone because he was always a mess. I had spent a good amount of time reassuring her he was an adult and made these decisions and she was not responsible in any way shape or form.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you and your sons can begin to heal.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, Coconut. I'm sorry for the painful time you & your children are going through. As MantaLady mentioned, the Friends & Family Forum is a good place too.

I went through the same thing with my alcoholic husband - tried to make him see he was destroying himself & losing his family. I don't think he ever realized how much danger he was in. I know he loved us & grieved over losing his marriage. He always intended to get himself together & fix things. It's hard not to take it personally, but please never, ever feel that this was something you could have controlled.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss Coconut but I am glad you found us.

I know you'll find a lot of help support and encouragement here

D
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcone to SR.

Hi Coconut, I am so sorry to read of the loss of your ex. We addicts inadvertently hurt others as well as ourselves sometimes.

There is a "Friends and Families..." section on SR too where you might find some additional help from people who have been through what you are going through now.