Notices

Self Forgiveness

Old 05-06-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Forgiveness

Self doubt, negative self talk, placing yourself in a state of perdition... I've come to sense that it's all aspects of the same thing.

I think it starts even before we have the words or awareness to describe it or articulate it - a feeling in the gut, a moment of social anxiety, a general feeling of malaise and rumination about the past....

Let it go. Here's a different perspective to recall when you see yourself mired in those pits, on that dark and lonely road-

Truth is, you are who you are. There were valid reasons for what you did. There were - are - valid reasons even for why you drink and why you insist on dumping a heaping, steaming pile of garbage into your life over and over and over again.

There are reasons for it, and they are valid.

The way out is to understand that it's not helpful to dwell on the reasons, it's about understanding consequences and starting to own the space around you... starting inside.

You are a remarkable creature. To have survived to this point is nothing short of a miracle. Yet, you did. So here you are. What do you want today to look like? Tomorrow?

Eliminate the toxic influences. Start now. Start with the obvious. Do one of these things every day or three. Make "I will not toxify my life" your mantra. Save yourself. No one will do it for you.

There is no person, group, institution, or expectation - internal or external - that has a right to expect you to continue to live in ****. If you find a situation or a relationship or anything else causes you to react in a way that brings forth intolerable levels of self loathing and doubt eliminate it. You owe no one an explanation except for that person staring back at you in the mirror. To that person, you must be honest. But also fair. Give yourself a break.

Set a new standard. Be exceptional to yourself. Be original. Be at peace with yourself. It's right there... in front of you... now.

Best to you-

B

PS - 14+ months now. I don't count days anymore. I go long periods of time without thinking about booze and 99.9% of the time I do I laugh at how ridiculous it is. It's a great place to be. That said, in many ways I feel my recovery is only now really starting. It's only been a week or so that I've begun to feel at peace with some old demons... more work to do. Addition by subtraction...

Hope peeps are well. I'm grateful for this place still and the essential role it played in walking with me through my time in the ****.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done and great post 👍
Old 05-06-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the good stuff. Thanks so much. Currently reading a book called “The Body Keeps Score: Brain, Mind, And Body In The Healing Of Trauma”. Check it out if you’re inclined; I bet you’d like it.

Congratulations on your sober time!

-b
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always glad when you share your thoughts with us, Buckley, thank you. I'm more at peace this morning after this read.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really good post, thanks Buckley.

That little AV in my own head would love to keep me down, I have to talk back to it.

Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.
~Maori Proverb
Old 05-06-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Love this, Buckley, thank you.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Beautifully said, Thank you.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right on Buckley.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What's up my brother, great to hear from you. All of this is deeply true and important.

I'm in month 13 and couldn't agree more that recovering from the muck and misery of the drink is only the beginning. The real work starts now.

Chopping wood, carrying water.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always love your posts Buckley. This is great advice for anyone struggling right now.

Your story is one to read if people are feeling like they can not turn things around, you are a shining example of how to do it.

Thanks for being an inspiration to many!

❤️Delilah
Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

❤ this and needed this today. Thank you 🙏♥️
Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Buckley - thank you for a valuable & heartfelt post. I will remember it.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you. What a great post to start my day.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Buckley - and congrats on 14 months plus

D
Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is my experience that an addict (or alcoholic) under the influence of mind altering substances is a fundamentally different person than the same happily sober addict.

You're more than your addiction. We all are.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So many profound replies. That's why I love the process of recovery and sharing it with others in similar boats - the honesty, the genuiness, and the real importance of the topic transcend so much of the superficial and manipulative forces that are so abundant in this world.

Appreciate you all.

-B
Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for that.

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Self doubt, negative self talk, placing yourself in a state of perdition... I've come to sense that it's all aspects of the same thing.

I think it starts even before we have the words or awareness to describe it or articulate it - a feeling in the gut, a moment of social anxiety, a general feeling of malaise and rumination about the past....

Let it go. Here's a different perspective to recall when you see yourself mired in those pits, on that dark and lonely road-

Truth is, you are who you are. There were valid reasons for what you did. There were - are - valid reasons even for why you drink and why you insist on dumping a heaping, steaming pile of garbage into your life over and over and over again.

The way out is to understand that it's not helpful to dwell on the reasons, it's about understanding consequences and starting to own the space around you... starting inside.

You are a remarkable creature. To have survived to this point is nothing short of a miracle. Yet, you did. So here you are. What do you want today to look like? Tomorrow?

Eliminate the toxic influences. Start now. Start with the obvious. Do one of these things every day or three. Make "I will not toxify my life" your mantra. Save yourself. No one will do it for you.

There is no person, group, institution, or expectation - internal or external - that has a right to expect you to continue to live in ****. If you find a situation or a relationship or anything else causes you to react in a way that brings forth intolerable levels of self loathing and doubt eliminate it. You owe no one an explanation except for that person staring back at you in the mirror. To that person, you must be honest. But also fair. Give yourself a break.

Set a new standard. Be exceptional to yourself. Be original. Be at peace with yourself. It's right there... in front of you... now.

Best to you-

B

PS - 14+ months now. I don't count days anymore. I go long periods of time without thinking about booze and 99.9% of the time I do I laugh at how ridiculous it is. It's a great place to be. That said, in many ways I feel my recovery is only now really starting. It's only been a week or so that I've begun to feel at peace with some old demons... more work to do. Addition by subtraction...

Hope peeps are well. I'm grateful for this place still and the essential role it played in walking with me through my time in the ****.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love your posts, Buckley. I wish I could eliminate the drug court which causes me to react in a way that brings forth intolerable levels of self-loathing...I’m over 9 months sober and have about 7 months left of drug court. I have eliminated other toxic institutions and individuals.

So, I’m working on acceptance and self-care. And resentments.

Thanks for this post. Always nice to hear from you.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for beautiful info ..

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post

Best to you-

B

1.Forgive yourself and others we need not to see someone who we hurt just need willingness to forgice.We must not forget to forgive ourselves its vey important to clearring our garbage .
2.Let go that not serving us.
3.Accept yourselves as it is and the reality.We can't go back and fix our mistakemistakes.Its reality and we have to accept this . Once we accept the healing will begins.
4.Appreciate what you are and find the strengths within you .Be gratitude for the things you have.
5.Celebrate that you are alive and there is opportunity to make you good.
6.Love yourself no matter what eat /drink good and attract good thoughts.
all is good now !!!