Turned away from IP detox?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turned away from IP detox?

Is it normal for hospitals to turn away addicts seeking medical detox because they're not sick and/or drunk enough? My exA has been binging for at least a few weeks after a couple attempts at white-knuckling it this year. She decided she needs to stop drinking but was terrified of withdrawing and finally went to the nearest ER today.

I just got a text from a friend of hers saying they're not admitting her cause she's not having active symptoms. All test came back normal cause she drank before going "to avoid being sick". Sent her home with Librium to deal with the symptoms, and claimed that any detox facility would do the same. "Kind of unbelievable".

Her friend said it was kind of unbelievable, but I'm having my own doubts as well. Do ERs typically turn away visibly intoxicated adults seeking medical detox, even with a related history at that hospital? As I understand it she was taken into the ER immediately but she wasn't admitted. Is it true that she couldn't find a facility to help her through detox, even with insurance (medicaid)? If so, how should she proceed with detoxing, are there any other resources available to her?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

even with a related history at that hospital?

well you were not there to hear the actual conversation between your EX and the medical staff. if they checked her out and her vitals did not indicate any danger, not sure what else they were supposed to do? you also mentioned she has a "history" with this hospital and depending on what that history IS, it could affect the outcome.

you also do not know what other research she did on detox facilities. or what other options she may still have.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From my experience, yes... but it depends on a lot of factors. Over the course of 5 years, I called 911/an ambulance and/or literally carried my alcoholic ex girlfriend into the ER more times than I can remember. We live in a very big city so it could be severity - but also depend on intake bed space as well, from what many doctors had told us. Early on her blackouts led us there, later on... her seizures (as she would try & detox at home w/me which is so extremely dangerous!). Most of the time, if she didn’t have active seizures - getting an actual room/bed to fully detox for 2-3 days was more difficult. Usually she’d have to stay an entire night in the ER waiting... it was very painful to watch. Beds were always booked & space was limited.

I’m sorry all this is happening. I’m sure others have more advice/information for you as I’m still new here. I wish you the very best.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When my XAH went to rehab there was a detox on site, he spent a week there then three in rehab. Maybe look for something of that nature. He was not having withdraw symptoms and was put there based on his latest consumption date/time.

Unfortunately, finding the right detox/rehab takes real work, but it's worth it as the wrong one will do nothing at all but waste time and money. Have her make some calls. The more invested she is in her own recovery the higher chance she has to succeed.