Notices

My story

Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story

Ok, I posted here awhile back and related how disgusted i was with my life. If you look at me you could never tell i have a slight drinking problem. I usually workout 2-3 hours a day, have been very sucessful in my career, and physically look great. However over the years i got into the habit of drinking every night before bed. This started with a few beers, progressed to few glasses of wine, and over the last year around a bottle of slightly more a night. I found myself in a constant state of anxiety and stress. Whenever i had to deal with a problem at my office my anxiety level went through the roof and it turned into a cycle of anxiety and then slight depression. I loved having my drinks at the end of the night and could finally relax.

I soon found myself isolating myself from my friends. I never wanted to go hang out with them and enjoyed sitting in my house drinking in my little world. I knew how destructive this was so i stopped for a few days at a time but after 2-3 days would resume my nightly ritual.

3 weeks ago i went on a trip with my friends. It is a golf trip and we usually play golf in the hot sun and enjoy drinking alcohol. I found myself having a beer as soon as we got to the course and then drinking the remainder of the day. My buddies held off and usually started mid round. What bothered me was that the next day they were struggling. They had headaches, couldnt get out of bed, one of them was throwing up on the course. I literally woke up at 5 am each day and somewhat groggy but as soon as i had my beer i was back to 100 percent. One of my friends commented how envious he was of me that i did not get hangovers.

It suddenly hit me that i used to suffer horrible hangovers. I realized this was a serious issue and my body had completly adapted to drinking massive ammounts of alcohol. The last day of the trip i simply stopped drinking. We drove home and i have not drank since that trip. It was like the old version of myself finally woke up. I have not had ANY desire in 3 weeks to have a drink and this is the longest i have gone in about 16 years.

What is amazing me is how quickly all my problems that made me drink went away. Life seems so much easier, i do not panic or get a sick sense of anxiety when a problem arrises. I have infinite energy now and seems like an additional 4 hours of time to complete the things i need to complete in my day. My workouts have improved and i am finding myself more motivated to work on my golf game. I am up and awake at 430 am and ready to face the day. I do not know what suddently clicked in my head but am grateful that it did.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on recognizing you were developing a problem and stopped it before it got worse. Hope you continue on the right track!
Old 05-04-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

great update machine528 - congrats

D
Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

If you commit to never drinking again, problem solved.

I don't miss alcohol at all. I was where you were for a LONG time before it escalated. Come home from work and have a bottle of wine nightly, then more on weekends.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to read the wonderful news, Machine.