Notices

It popped up today

Old 05-03-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It popped up today

Evening all, all is going well, still sober/clean/ not smoking. However I was reminded today to not lose sight of the end goal, and maybe check in with you all.
I was walking home from work, not thinking of any thing in particular, then BOOM, I want a bottle of wine came to mind. For no reason at all. Caught me off guard abit, as it doesn't pop up that often. I knew it was the devil playing tricks on me. It passed by the time I got home, after walking past the shops/pubs.
However after being home a while it popped up again. I knew 100% that I wasn't going to act on it, I think it was the Friday night mentality kicking in.
It made me realize it's never far away,and I have to be careful in getting complacent.
A news story was pointed out to me today about a young man 29 was found in a pub toilet,he overdosed on heroin, he'd been there 18hrs before being found. It was in a pub where I used to go. It kinda hit me a bit. Even though I didn't know him. Just a reminder of where I could of been, if I didn't sort myself out.
Life is precious, and I'm thankful that I'm in a good place. Not everyone makes it, keep going to all those struggling today, don't become another statistic.
Much love as always 🙏💖
Doris xx
Old 05-03-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s great that you didn’t act on it well done, it can be so sneaky
Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Doris! I remember a week or two ago I had the same thing happen at the grocery store. Wild how it can take you off guard in an instant.

Glad you rode it out and that it passed. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on recognising and getting through that, and on your continued sobriety, your doing brilliantly. Yes life is very precious, something i have only just begun to really appreciate
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow. It feels like I wrote this. It can sometimes be a lonely journey so thank you for your post. It's me. It's Saturday morning here and not a hangover in sight. Plenty of dirty washing to be dealt with though. Mum life. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay strong Doris

D
Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, thankyou.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Doris We must always be on our guard.

Have a fab weekend!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's the way to handle these things, and they do happen. These later in sobriety type cravings are tempting little mind games, but you were prepared. The real dangerous trick from your alcoholic voice is the one that comes down the road, the one that tells you you've been sober long enough that you can probably now drink without losing control. Watch for that one, and be ready to seriously kick your AV's ass when she brings it up. It can happen at 6 months or 10 years. The goal is to leave your AV lying on the ground, beaten, hopeless, banished, and knowing that you aren't taking that crap from her ever again.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doris, you are doing great!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you fighting those cravings.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
That's the way to handle these things, and they do happen. These later in sobriety type cravings are tempting little mind games, but you were prepared. The real dangerous trick from your alcoholic voice is the one that comes down the road, the one that tells you you've been sober long enough that you can probably now drink without losing control. Watch for that one, and be ready to seriously kick your AV's ass when she brings it up. It can happen at 6 months or 10 years. The goal is to leave your AV lying on the ground, beaten, hopeless, banished, and knowing that you aren't taking that crap from her ever again.
I fully intend to 😃, does she not know I've been working out and ready to kick ass, thanks for this 😃