Notices

New here. Can I go cold turkey yet?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Can I go cold turkey yet?

Hi,

First post here, still embarrassed about my issue but finally doing something about it. Hope someone can give advice.

I’m a married man with kids and I have a good high level job, support my family etc. I have never had a devastating problem, alcohol has never made me lose jobs or damaged my marriage etc. At worst I sometimes wake up feeling a bit sleepy or “rough”. But for the last 15 years I have drank daily, it varies from 4 cans 500ml 4.5% a night, to at the worst 8 cans per night.

I never drink in the day, but after work I get home late, when the kids are in bed I like to relax with a few beers. I don’t get crazy drunk, I actually drink over a space of 4-6 hours. So it mostly just lowers stress and helps me get a good sleep. I had convinced myself it was not an issue as it didn’t hurt my family or work.

Recently I finally admitted that drinking each day actually is wrong, if I want to see my kids grow up I can’t keep beating up my liver each day, and I finally admitted to my wife “I have a problem”.

I decided with my wife’s help I would slowly taper off at home, it lets me retain some of my dignity and is the least life changing.

I opted to set a daily limit and each week reduce it by 1, Week 1 – 7, Week 2 – 6 etc.

I have now been down to 3 per day for a week, without mistakes etc.
My question is, can I just go “cold turkey” now? I no longer enjoy drinking, as I have always had a fairly high tolerance and drinking 3 barely “relaxes” me at all, so it feels better to just stop.

But I am worried about withdrawal symptoms, DT’s etc. Is 3 cans per day relatively low? Can I just cut it all now?

I am very eager for this to be over.

Thank you
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We cannot give medical advice here, which is what this would be.

I can just say that I went cold turkey from a very serious vodka habit and risked the consequences. It was rough but I'd do it that way again.

I'd go to your dr (not rely on your wife's help) to quit - most people around here don't find tapering to be the most successful route.

Glad you want to get sober.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

No advice, just a warm welcome. Stay close to SR, it can be a great help in those early days of sobriety.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello August,

First of all, sorry to yourself and others, I was stupid and didn't know that was be considered as "asking for medical advice", sorry again to all.

Also, thank you very much for your comments and taking the time to write a message.

I don't actually live in my home country, I actually live in some small town in the middle of an East-Asian country. The doctors here almost encourage men drinking as it's "What men do". Their medical suggestions are not always based on the latest medical knowledge. For example, when my wife was pregnant she was told by her doctor "If you drink any coffee, even caffeine free during your pregnancy, your baby with be born with dark skin".

So basically, my medical options are limited.

Thank you very much again August, and sorry again to all.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I hope you may get better information if you go to a Hospital ER to speak with a doctor? Or try to find a knowledgable doctor. Withdrawing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome, I hope you may get better information if you go to a Hospital ER to speak with a doctor? Or try to find a knowledgable doctor. Withdrawing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
First of all Anna, thank you very much for your suggestion. Sadly, this is the hospital ER I am talking about, and this is in the local major town. Some of these places really are just a little bit behind.

Luckily my wife is an internationally trained nurse, which although far from a doctor, does mean I do have someone who can support me with a little more modern knowledge.

I could travel into the capital to an international hospital, but its 6 hours travel each way, which will damage my work.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome...That "coffee colored baby" gave me a good laugh..
Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's hard to say. You don't sound that bad off to me, but as Anna said, withdrawal is unpredictable. I went cold turkey, but I had a history of going for three days without alcohol, followed by weeks of drinking, and all I got was jitters. I had no problems when I finally quit, except for strong cravings and irritability.

The son of an old girlfriend was an alcoholic. I think his mom knew but avoided the topic. I met him, and he seemed OK to me. I knew nothing of his drinking. A year after I met him, he went to the ER with severe stomach pains. They hospitalized him, and his mother kept me informed of his illness and what the doctors were doing. Early on she never mentioned anything about his drinking. I don't know if she was hiding it from me or from herself or if her son was hiding it from her.

But two or three days in treatment, his condition went south. My girlfriend said he started having hallucinations and got violent. They strapped him to his bed. I knew what it probably was and said to his mom it sounded like the DTs. Right away she said that's what it was and that the doctors told her he had alcoholic pancreatitis. So it's hard for one person to make that cold turkey call on another.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Welcome...That "coffee colored baby" gave me a good laugh..
Yes, it did give me a chuckle as well. Some others I liked are, 1. If you are ill and eat spicy food, you might seriously damage your health. 2. Drinking cold water is bad for your health. 3. After giving birth, a woman should not wash for over a month.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Understood. Sorry again to everyone that I asked.

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I had no problems when I finally quit, except for strong cravings and irritability.
Does that mean you quit? If so, congratulations!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Sounds like medical help isn't forthcoming for you where you are.

No one here can say if you'd be ok going cold turkey. Only way you'll know is to do it. Having your wife's support is a good thing. I hope you can manage to get and stay sober.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Sounds like medical help isn't forthcoming for you where you are.

No one here can say if you'd be ok going cold turkey. Only way you'll know is to do it. Having your wife's support is a good thing. I hope you can manage to get and stay sober.
Thank you Least, thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have to say, first time here and I am amazed. Great community, very supportive. Everyone is welcoming, forgiving and kind. You people all deserve a round of applause. I regret that I didn't come here sooner.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi welcome, great support here for you, best of luck to you
Old 05-02-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Hi welcome, great support here for you, best of luck to you
Thank you, I will need it!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don’t we all, keep posting through good times and the difficult times, people on here have got me through difficult stages and have been fab
Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xija View Post
Does that mean you quit? If so, congratulations!!!
Coming up on 25 years since my last drink. Cravings stopped about 23 years ago. Irritability left then too, at least the kind caused by discontent and the tendency to jump when someone honks a horn.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Coming up on 25 years since my last drink.
That's amazing! Well done.

Just curious, why do you post here? To keep you on track? Sorry if that's too personal.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have done so well tapering down like that, I tried but tended to taper up instead .
Eventually I went cold turkey.

If your concerned you could continue with your taper... wouldn't take long from where your at.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
If your concerned you could continue with your taper... wouldn't take long from where your at.
Yes, I know waiting is the smart route.

The reason I am rushing is that for the first time in many years, my relatives will be coming to stay with us each next week. Don't like the idea of hiding myself "medicating" myself each night. Hence just wanting to stop now.

Luckily, I have kept this problem private, I know pride is a bad thing. But I don't want my family to look down on me, and I know they will.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xija View Post
That's amazing! Well done.

Just curious, why do you post here? To keep you on track? Sorry if that's too personal.
I'm actually a new comer to the forum. I haven't been to an AA meeting in 10 years, and don't do face book. Not to say recovery is not important anymore. It has always been one of the most important things I've done with my life. After a while, you don't think about it anymore. You just accept not caring or thinking about alcohol as the way things are, so the pink cloud seems like it evaporates (I like to think you just assimilate the pink cloud into your life).

So why did I show up a couple of months ago? I guess I just thought it would be nice to meet more people in the social media. It's not like I need this sort of contact to stay sober, but the issue is still of interest. This forum is well monitored in such a way that allows for a variety of approaches to our common affliction. Often atmospheres of rancor dominate a lot of troll infested sites. So I find this place pleasant and healthy, which is the way recovery should be.