Notices

Finally ready!

Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally ready!

Good morning!
I have been battling this alcohol for a very long time. Just drinking at night butvit made me feel terrible in the morning and I could never get much done at night. I decided to tell my immediate family and Close friends. I have been sober for five days. I feel much better but look terrible. I’m developing acne and dark circles under my eyes. I will take a sober life over appearance any day but thought I would start to look better instead of look worse. Did anyone else have this experience? It’s a hard road and I’m trying to take one step at a time instead of looming down the road which I did in the past. I look forward to joking this wonderful community again.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back!

Lot of physical and mental transformations going on in early sobriety, toxins being expelled by the body. Things will improve if you stay the course, worsen should you fall back to drinking.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome back. Some don't make it.
I wouldn't worry too much about appearance. I have no experience of what you speak, I just wanted to get sober.
Congratulations on five days and for telling people of your intentions. That's a bold move. But now you have people tp be accountable to.
Best to you and please stick around and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congrats on your decision to end the madness.

Give it time. You wouldn't see a notable change in your appearance if you started dieting 5 days ago. Purging alcohol from your body and mind is much more complex. There will be changes in moods, sleep, appearance, attitude, etc. getting past all that is so worth it. The lasting changes are night and day.

Stick around for support and stay with your plan. You can do this.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Summer, not sure if you have a history of skin issues but I do. I went through some hormonal upheaval after I stopped drinking that affected my skin for a few weeks. Now I’m almost 9 months alcohol free and my skin is better than I could have ever imagined or thought possible. Keep going
Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome Back!

Good Lord Yes! My body/hair/skin went through every change you could imagine. I was so dehydrated from drinking that even the palms of my hands started peeling. Water, and lots of it will help. Our bodies have held us up even with the damage alcohol does, give it a chance to level out, I noticed a pretty good difference after about a month, it was gradual, but one day I looked in the mirror and saw a Human being looking back!

Cathy
Old 05-02-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess 5 days is a little premature to notice changes. Lol. It’s just the unknown and I appreciate all of your experiences. The first five days have been easier than I thought. I’ve been keeping myself so busy but tomorrow is Friday. Friday’s were always a big drinking night.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations on 5 days of sobriety.

Yeah, as others have said, our bodies go through a lot in early recovery. It shouldn't be too long before you begin to see physical improvements. It might be a good idea to plan something for Friday evening to help distract you from drinking.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Regarding the appearance, if you stay the sober course, just the opposite of what you have experienced will happen. Your skin will smooth out & radiate. I’ve received several unsolicited comments after months of sobriety about this! Good luck on your journey.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Summer,

Congrats on your sobriety, and YASSS! Although my eyes are no longer red and yellow, and my skin has brightened, I also catch myself becoming self-conscious with some of the physical ailments I've noticed at Day 6 . I too have developed acne around my nose, mouth, and chin (...never had acne before) ...Also, developed numular eczema on my legs. I attribute it partially to the lack of proper care & hygiene during my daily heavy drinking. And you cant forget that alcohol itself is a poison that reeks havoc on us physiologically....Add in the malnutrition and Voila!
I need to make an appointment with a dermatologist asap!
Now that your sober, your body will heal itself and you can take steps to nurture these relatively small issues. Drink water, get some exercise every day, and self-care will help your ailments get better and better day by day.

Again Congrats! Sobriety Rocks!

Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was a drunk, my eyes got yellow. For a month after sobering up, my eyes were red. Now, perfectly white.

My skin in my first month or so was very bad. All the toxins and oils getting expelled. Now, my skin is better than ever.

Also, I've now lost 37 lbs, so I'm happy about that!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going summer?

D
Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Made it through Friday night! Now I feel like I can do this!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yay so glad to hear. Friday night was my worry too. My skin is starting to look better after about 3 weeks. I think it's a combination of no alcohol and I'm actually looking after it now. Well done to you.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

thats terrific Summer

D
Old 05-04-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can make it thru any night, as long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How was everyone’s weekend? Made it through the whole weekend and feel super exhausted but not hungover which is huge! I’m slowly realizing 1-2 hours of drinking isn’t worth the 17 hours of feeling miserable. I’m sure it will always feel like a constant reminder. I’ve been 7 days sober. What experiences does anyone have after that mark. I hear it gets harder down liger you are sober.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually it got easier for me summer - at least after the first 30 days. As long as you're building a sober life you love and as long as you remember that you have a permanently toxic relationship with alcohol, it actually got easier not to drink.

D
Old 05-06-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi! I feel the same. Each morning I wake up expecting to feel awful. I’m getting so much done at night and during the day. I know it’s only been 8!days but I love this new lifestyle!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome!