Notices

DUI Update...

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI Update...

Hey All,

You may remember me from long ago. I got arrested for a DUI back in July of 2018 and later convicted in October of 2018. I've been on probation for just over six months.

I wanted to continue posting on this forum and express my feelings. Initially I was an anxious wreck. Things have now become "manageable" meaning all obligations of sentencing have been completed and I am on supervised probation with testing.

I guess my insurance went up quite a bit too but I've adapted to it as well.

I know that one day probation will be done and even insurance will simmer back down to a normal level. Hell even the now 4 points on my drivers license will go away.

But my "criminal record" for driving impaired once will not. It will never go away. I guess you could say I feel pretty much fine and back to normal except for this part. It just freaks me the F*** out to think omg when the time comes for a promotion or even switching to a higher level job with more responsibility at a new company I will have to explain this and it might even ruin my chances at a new opportunity . It's just such a poor shame and i know it's all my fault.... My own doing... But it is such an insignificant event and small blip in my life. My DUI was a simple traffic stop for barely speeding at night. I didn't hurt anyone or damage anything or even resist the officer. I've been on this earth for more than 30 years and this is the only thing on my "criminal record".

Thoughts on my future anyone?

Thanks for your support back when I was FREAKING OUT 6 months ago.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In Canada, you can clear your record after a period of time. I would look into that in the area you live in. A DUI is usually always pardoned cuz is the least "offensive act" in the criminal code, my hairdresser told me.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also, go for any type of promotion or job you want in the meantime, as long as it doesn't involve you driving (for work related purposes). Or the gvrmt. Some at the gvrmt. see a"criminal record" and no matter what it is, won't hire you, as if you were a pedo.
when I worked in finance back in the day, I told my employer and they laughed it off.
Some employers are more flexible or cooler about it than others over a DUI. And most probably have driven drunk but have never been caught.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
In Canada, you can clear your record after a period of time. I would look into that in the area you live in. A DUI is usually always pardoned cuz is the least "offensive act" in the criminal code, my hairdresser told me.
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Michigan and here in Michigan a DUI cannot be expunged. So i'm stuck with it for LIFE. I suppose I could write the governor a letter pleading for forgiveness but I have heard that DUIs don't get pardoned in MI either...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it happens that you have to divulge it, explain that it was a powerful lesson and that you have learned from it and are wiser now. And if you stay sober, it will never happen again so that's one big worry eliminated.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a DUI on my record and it had caused problems. I used to work in finance and had 2 separate job offers rescinded. I also can't travel to the US. After 7 years you can apply for a pardon
Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If it happens that you have to divulge it, explain that it was a powerful lesson and that you have learned from it and are wiser now. And if you stay sober, it will never happen again so that's one big worry eliminated.
It will never happen again because I won't drive drunk ever again, not even after a sip or anything!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I have a DUI on my record and it had caused problems. I used to work in finance and had 2 separate job offers rescinded. I also can't travel to the US. After 7 years you can apply for a pardon
This is my greatest fear in this whole nightmare... So how are you making a living then now? Did you end up getting another finance related job?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jad123 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Michigan and here in Michigan a DUI cannot be expunged. So i'm stuck with it for LIFE. I suppose I could write the governor a letter pleading for forgiveness but I have heard that DUIs don't get pardoned in MI either...
Did you have a lawyer? If so, ask him/her what could be done.

I hear that someone down there has had his pardoning feathered pen out and inking it lately.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WOW 7 years for a first offense? In the PQ area it was 1 year for a 1st offense, and 5 years for a second, and if the second was a decade apart from the first, it is treated as a first offense in court.

They say you can't travel to the US but you can, it's BS. They have no right to refuse you entry to the US for a settled DUI, they wanna make you believe it's the law but it's not. they just wanna get paid for a pass.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did you have a lawyer? If so, ask him/her what could be done.

I hear that someone down there has had his pardoning feathered pen out and inking it lately.
Thanks there are hundreds of lawyers here and all are willing to help with whatever they can for a fee. But I wouldn't count on the governor of the state pardoning me.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I am also in the US and my career is in the HR field. As far as Background Checks go, it does depend on the company and type of job you apply for. Any kind of driving job will likely not hire you as a result (public transportation, limo , courier) . Honestly, it is all over the board in regards to other types of professions. Some companies barely look at a DWI. It will come down to the company's policy. You will definatley be able to secure employment, but you may have to explore a few different companies in order to do so. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

gymratgirl - right on.

Jad - did you plead to no contest or guilt yourself, or did you have a lawyer?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I work in a federal job, I have to post my convictions or they WILL find it. I am 22 years post DUI charge which was reduced to disorderly conduct. Give it time, explain your experience and be honest. I personally think for non violent offenses, time served should be time served. Sucks so bad that it haunts you for life. A lady at my local gas station said it’s the only job she can do because 10 years ago she moved a box of marijuana. We are not our crimes, but we really serve a life sentence. The USA wouldn’t deny you over a DUI. You can be honest, or you could lie and hope it’s not found. I just tell the truth.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would advise that you don't lie. These days, criminal checks are done pretty quickly once you accept an offer. If you are honest, you have a better chance of discussing further, or even discussing before you submit the Background Check. If you lie and it then comes up on the check, then you risk losing the job as your ethics come into question.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WOW 7 years for a first offense? In the PQ area it was 1 year for a 1st offense, and 5 years for a second, and if the second was a decade apart from the first, it is treated as a first offense in court.

They say you can't travel to the US but you can, it's BS. They have no right to refuse you entry to the US for a settled DUI, they wanna make you believe it's the law but it's not. they just wanna get paid for a pass.
The border guards can refuse any Canadian with a criminal record which a DUI here counts for. The US and Canada share a database so they can see any offense on your record. They actually don't even need a reason. They can turn you away for anything they want really. I had to bail on a trip with a girlfriend once because I couldn't be sure I wouldn't be denied
Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share except the affirm the advice not to lie.

Not declaring something and then having it found would take you out of the running for any job - being honest about one indiscretion may not
Old 04-30-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The border guards can refuse any Canadian with a criminal record which a DUI here counts for. The US and Canada share a database so they can see any offense on your record. They actually don't even need a reason. They can turn you away for anything they want really. I had to bail on a trip with a girlfriend once because I couldn't be sure I wouldn't be denied
Trust me, they cannot deny you for a DUI. I've been multiple times.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mariposa "The USA wouldn’t deny you over a DUI. "

Rest assured, fellow Canuck
Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gymratgirl View Post
Hi, I am also in the US and my career is in the HR field. As far as Background Checks go, it does depend on the company and type of job you apply for. Any kind of driving job will likely not hire you as a result (public transportation, limo , courier) . Honestly, it is all over the board in regards to other types of professions. Some companies barely look at a DWI. It will come down to the company's policy. You will definatley be able to secure employment, but you may have to explore a few different companies in order to do so. Good luck!
I work in the media, advertising, marketing, creative industry in a desk job role. College degree with about 11 years of experience under my belt. So you're saying I still have a chance depending on company policy since I'm not doing driving roles?