Is it obvious he is a drug addict and on what drug?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it obvious he is a drug addict and on what drug?

1. Guzzles down 10 norcos and doesn’t work for him. 2. Comes up with stories of him getting robbed all the time yet nothing is missing.
3. Disappears for a few hours.
4. Constantly breaking up with me and coming back.
5. Wanting to hustle on the side.
6. Every car he’s had has been impounded.
7. Commits crimes like it’s a hobby.
8. Freaks out if he doesn’t have marijuana.
9. He’s in the hood (the ghetto) everyday trying to get marijuana.
10. His best friend was or is a coke dealer.
11. Majority of his friends are either on drugs or sell it.
12. He is bipolar/schizophrenic but his mood swings are excessive and extreme.
13. Aggressive
14. Name calling and random outbursts.
15. Hypochondriac
16. Shakes, charters teeth and cries that he’s in pain.
17. Complaints of bone and muscle pain for the past few years.
18. Front teeth are deteriated.
19. He’s 38 but looks 55.
20. Is an alcoholic
21. Steals
22. Wrinkles around his mouth and nose.
23. Anger issues
24. Really nice and loving when you give him money.
25. Goes crazy if something doesn’t go his way.
26. Always in debt

So much others but can’t think of them right now.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES
NO IDEA

can i ask you if you find ANY of these behaviors acceptable? especially in a chosen partner?
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes.

Does it really matter what drug? Is one preferable to another? Does a particular drug make any of this acceptable?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m just learning you guys. Please be patient with me. Plenty of stupid questions to come.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don’t find your questions stupid at all.

Addiction is a horrible, illogical thing. No one ‘gets it’ overnight. Ask away.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! ❤️
Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like my son. His choice for a high;

Alcohol, weed, hash, lsd, meth, heroin, ectasy, coke, uppers, downers, pain killers, etc, etc Anything that would give a buzz he would do, he isn't picky.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jiggs, how old is your son?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susulaila89 View Post
Jiggs, how old is your son?
​​​​​​He'll be 22 in a few months. I'll also add that he hasn't been caught for anything criminal, "yet", but his luck will run out sooner or later. No definitive mental health diagnosis either but dual diagnosis from what I've read isn't that uncommon when it comes to addiction.

Last edited by Jiggs; 04-30-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think many of us start with this question (among others). Is it drugs or mental illness? If it's drugs, which one? If it is mental illness, which one? What can I do to make them stop, will they stop, if they don't stop, what will happen? On and on...

It can be exhausting - but I think this is part of the grieving process when any of us begin to realize that we may be dealing with something bigger than us. And especially as we begin to face both the hope and the danger in the situation - four ourselves and the addict.

Maybe you have heard of the grieving steps - denial, bargaining, anger, depression and acceptance. They don't necessarily come in that order or that neatly. And they often repeat in some cycles as one works through difficult situations that involve loss. But part of the challenge of working through all this is becoming aware of the grief process so we can come to grips with what it all means for us and our lives.

And those stages of grief are natural, normal and take as long as they take. The only thing I can offer here is to maybe keep track of the questions you are asking and what is beneath them. For me, questions were my trying to make sense of something that didn't make sense and to try to get some control over something I couldn't control.

So please ask all the questions that come up. We've all asked some, most or all of them. It is part of the process.

In terms of what drug - even if you knew for certain what the answer was - how would it help you? Are there other questions you could ask yourself that might lead to more health, freedom and sanity? (for you and your loved one who is struggling)

Prayers for you during this hard time!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Troubledone, the reason why I wanted to know what drug he may be on is because I don't want to leave any details out. I believe that every little thing that I can find out will help me a lot. Kind of like how on first 48 or those serial killer shows where someone's daughter, husband, wife...etc was murdered and they want to know how they were murdered? Well, even if they knew how, it wouldn't bring that person back and murder is murder.

Whether they were shot, poisoned, stabbed, beat to death, it's murder at the end of the day but knowing how their loved one died will somehow put them at ease. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. That was a pretty extreme example lol.

In this case, the drugs are the death of them. I want to know what this drug is, what it does, how much it is, how it's sold, who sold it to them, why...etc. I can't explain my reason any better than I have. For some reason, it just makes me feel better to know.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think educating yourself about the "enemy" is helpful. (ie. drugs)

I think we all get more education about drugs (and treatment and the legal system) than we ever wanted when we are faced with this type of thing.

I hope you find the answers that will help you figure out what you want or need to do for him and for yourself.

It is quite a maze to navigate!

Praying you find the answers that will help you!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Based on your list:

Run & don't look back

You deserve better
Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand that need to know - BUT.

That is pretty much the definition of Codendency. Worrying, being a detective, not taking care of your own needs, trying to find all the Whys.

Doesn't matter. Run. Don't look back. You'll never get the answers and the answers don't matter.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You could be describing my son there. He's 40 and looks older than me. The best advice I can give you is to run for the hills.......now. xx
Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe you could ask yourself what is really behind that need to know the details.

For me, the more information I had, the more I could buy into the illusion that I Could DO Something. In other words, if I knew what I was dealing with, I could find a way to control it.

I learned the very hard way that there's no controlling it, even if you know everything. There's no magic formula. Other people get to live their lives they way they want to, whether I like it or not. And in the process of trying to fix someone else, I totally lost myself.

When I realized I was the only person I could ever count on to put my needs first the way I was so desperate to put everyone else's first (to their detriment and mine), things began to change.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like every/any drug. Please take care of yourself and get away.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

Does it matter whether or not he is an addict? Is his behavior alright with you? If he weren't an addict would the behavior be alright? If he is an addict, is the behavior then alright? If you don't like the behavior, can you change it? You can change your behavior.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Susulaila89, as Sparklekitty said, if you are hoping to help him by narrowing down his drug choices that is a waste of your time really.

No one here (or probably anywhere) can answer your question, except him, if he can even remember what he's using. Short of a blood test, which isn't going to happen.

So, if you want to know what the result of being in a relationship with an addict is, you are in the right place. Read around all that you can.

You might want to start with these threads:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)

The articles here are also helpful:

Addiction, Lies and Relationships

Have you read about trauma bonding at all? It is being mentioned in this thread right now:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-go-back.html (I try to forgive myself, but it’s so hard. I need to stand firm and not go back!)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I want to know what this drug is, what it does, how much it is, how it's sold, who sold it to them, why

ok, let's try this.
what drug it is. from what you said, he has a friend who deals coke, and other friends who also deal drugs. my bet is either coke or meth.

what it does. you are SEEING what the drugs DO. refer to your list. that is drug addict BEHAVIOR.

how much is it. depends on who you are getting it from and what you are willing to do in trade. coke used to be around $25 a 1/4 gram. crack (cokes evil spawn) about $20 for a rock about the size of a large pea. meth, no idea, but cheap i think.

how it's sold. refer to friends who deal, or dealer we call friends. drug addicts have a special radar - you can plunk them in any city and within 10 minutes they've sniffed out the dope man.

why? drugs get you high. drugs get you addicted. supply and demand.

there. does the above change anything for you?