Notices

Let myself and my guard down

Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let myself and my guard down

Hi everyone

I was doing so well and then I fell into that trap that's so common of forgetting how bad things were and romanticising alcohol.. I've been on holiday for a week and drank every night for 10 nights. Tonight is my first sober night. I've noticed how much I have declined mentally and physically in those 10 days. 10 days ago I was in the best mental and physical shape I think I have ever felt in my adult life. I had zero anxiety, bags of energy and everything was amazing. I had an appreciation for life.

Today I have been an anxious mess.. I've been nervous and on edge all day. Every little thing has been stressing me out at work. I feel paranoid constantly. I've went from being confident about my size to puffy and bloated in a week.

This shows how much it can creep up on you. All I want to do is have a drink to make the anxiety go away temporarily but I won't. I just want to go back to the way I felt before. I'm so angry at myself for letting myself get this way. I'm not in major withdrawal or anything like that because I didn't go overboard or let myself get to the point I was dependent. It's mostly just been a few drinks every night but I feel like it has caused such a decline

Gutted I'm back to day 1 lots of water today and just trying to get through without having a meltdown.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad, but I know you can get back to your recovery work. It might be helpful to try to understand why you decided to drink. Did it have to do with being on holiday and not working? If so, then you can prepare yourself for the next time that will happen.

Be kind to yourself.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back on day one noaddedsugar.

For me I had to reach a point where I couldn't ignore the evidence - as much as I wanted to believe this time would be different, intellectually I know it would not be - and that's the part you have to nourish and expand.

Its difficult to do when all you can remember emotionally is the pleasure, but do try and play that tape forward to the end.

Remember the consequences. Hard to do at first but easier with practice

Going back to drinking is going back to the thing that bought us here to SR.
Nothing changes- except to get worse.

Look at what you had been doing to stay sober - think of what else you can add this time

D
Old 04-29-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it, noaddedsugar. The withdrawals don't last forever.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on day 4 and just came through the insomnia and anxiety. It's these two things that make coming off a bender so hard because I know a few beers will provide instant relief. I ran out of money before the weekend so I was forced to sober up. I have no urge to drink now and am ready for another go at sobriety.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad, but I know you can get back to your recovery work. It might be helpful to try to understand why you decided to drink. Did it have to do with being on holiday and not working? If so, then you can prepare yourself for the next time that will happen.

Be kind to yourself.
Yes I think they were my triggers. I need to find a better way of dealing with them. Thankyou I do know I can get back to a place of being truly happy because I have been when I've been sober and I didn't think it was possible in the past.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Its difficult to do when all you can remember emotionally is the pleasure, but do try and play that tape forward to the end.

Remember the consequences. Hard to do at first but easier with practice

D
Thanks Dee
Yeah what's left at the end isn't pretty. It will never be different for me. I'm learning that and I've experienced such good times being sober now the worst thing I could ever do would be to start the past cycle I was on again.

Gonna stay close to SR from now on
Old 04-29-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your post is making me reconsider planning a holiday. In about 10 days I'll be 8 months sober, but I've been here before and relapsed while dating someone new....I'm worried a holiday could trigger a relapse also.

I'm sorry you're suffering, but thank you for posting. This has made me stop and think about my own issues surrounding a holiday trip. I see here that others have relapsed while on vacation, you're not alone.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

with a good plan and access to support there's really no reason why any change of scene should be a problem WF

D
Old 04-29-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Noadded - I did that once too. Something good came out of it though. I never drank again. I proved to myself that there was nothing in it for me anymore. Just misery & regret. Congrats on starting again. You will do it!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope for success for you this time.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want you to be proud of yourself that you are here, and that you are on day 1. Hold your head high and keep sober.

Love.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Take the lesson. This has shown you how alcohol causes a negative decline in your life. Now back on to your recovery and be kind to yourself. This is the blind spot isn’t it when we think it’s ok to have a few we forget easily how it’s a huge depressant
Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Noaddedsugar- glad you made it back to us.

Wildflower- most people around here know what I will say: do not go. That's a long time, it's tough to plan for that much time IMO, and you mentioned previous relapse in this kind of situation. If sobriety is most important, my experience is doing whatever most benefits that outcome is always the better choice than anything that might risk it.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
nmd

Yeah, vacations and holidays can be mine fields with temptations

Glad you are back
Old 04-30-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes Canuck. I'm on day 3 and just now getting over the anxiety. Last night I had the last symptoms of that overwhelming impending doom.

**** alcohol.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Your post has helped keep me sober today. I cannot afford to ever let my guard down, or be complacent because I am an alcoholic and I have complete acceptance around that today. I cannot drink. Period. Ever. That isn't to say the thoughts dont come. They do. But I have to use everything in my tool box to not act on them.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im proud of you that you were able to recognize the negative effects and not let the alcohol overpower you. You are empowered and able to do this.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
with a good plan and access to support there's really no reason why any change of scene should be a problem WF

D
I think I would need to stay away from the all inclusive vacations, booze included and everyone around drinking would be a setup for failure.

I'm curious noaddedsugar....what type of vacation did you go on?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How has today been going, Noaddedsugar? We care about you.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What's up today noadded? Hope you doing better.