Notices

New to this group

Old 04-27-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this group

Hello everyone,
I am roughly 43 hours from my last drink. Experiencing high levels of anxiety. The first day was pretty bad. Went to the ER at around 19 hours, got an IV, pumped full of benzo’s and had my blood checked. They released me with a pack of benzo’s with the option to stay in the hospital for inpatient therapy.

I chose to to go home. Slept a ton. I’m worried what the next day is going to look like. Barely holding it together right now with the highest dose of benzo’s. Tomorrow there will be less meds to help get through this. I’ll be at 48 hours at midnight my time. I’ll have one more dose before the 48 hour mark. Any advice on 48-72 hours and what that felt like for any of you?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 1989

I didn't have benzoes so I'm not sure my experience applies. I remember the first few days being the worst and things getting little better after that.

Eat well, stay hydrated and get some rest and everything else should follow
I'm glad you found us

D
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome 1989, it's great to have you here. You've found a great place for support.
I went through withdrawal so many times I can't remember them all.
Alone. In bed. Full of anxiety, fear and regret.
I never went to the hospital, but that was a very smart move on your part.
As I remember, the fourth day things cleared up and I felt semi=normal, as normal as a chronic alcoholic can feel any way, and I could function again.
I haven't had a drink in over ten years, so the memories aren't that clear.
I just remember the living hell of it all.

Someone will be along with more pertinent information than I can offer.
But good for you for getting sober. And remember, you never have to go through this again.
Best to you, and take care.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I found the first few days to be the worst. The overwhelming anxiety eased up after a few days and I started to feel better.

Benzos in withdrawal are usually only prescribed for a few days, just to get you over that anxiety and reduce the risk of seizures. At two days, you're right in the middle of the w/d so hang on and do anything you can to get thru it - but don't drink!

I hope you can get thru this rough patch and come out sober on the other side.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been in the ER several times over the years while withdrawing. Usually I just needed an IV and some ativan. I couldn't keep down water without vomiting so was dehydrated. Expect a few days of high anxiety, trouble sleeping, maybe sweating, shaky hands etc.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no easy way. Fight through it and it will get after. Keep your GP informed. Maybe get some mild mood stabilisers for the future. Best wishes. It’s worth the agony and it does not last.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I didn't use benzos, but I found at day 4/5 things started to get better. Just remember that you never have to go through this again.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You're doing great--just be sure to follow instructions on the benzos.

I found AA meetings to be very helpful in early recovery.

Here's a couple good threads to join here at SoberRecovery:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-441-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 441)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7173051
Old 04-28-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I had a medically supervised withdrawal that included a benzo taper. I had to do this in an inpatient setting. We tried a self-administered taper and it was a disaster, I ate all the benzos and kept drinking. Yay me...addiction really has no friend in rational behavior.

Take them EXACTLY as prescribed. Trust me, they're helping you a ton with the withdrawal. Benzo assisted withdrawal was FAR easier for me than trying to do it cold turkey, and cold turkey might well have killed me.

My memory of that time is thankfully very fuzzy. I could talk relatively normally after about 2 days, walking took almost 5 weeks. Once I could eat my gastritis began to heal. I started to begin to feel human (as opposed to a wounded wild animal) at about 2 weeks. I was drinking 5-8 bottles of wine a day around the clock and taking Lunesta (sleep med, benzo relative) along with it which had to be tapered along with the alcohol. Everyone is different, but people are saying 4-5 days and that feels about right.

Keep it up. The WD is tough, but totally worth it. And keep checking in please.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here...

The early days are rough.... but grab onto EVERY lifeline and EVERY piece of support you've got, dig in, do the work, stick through it....

IT WILL GET BETTER.

So much better, you won't even believe it.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish I could help, but your problem sounds like something way out of my experience. As an alcoholic, I try not to diagnose others, but from what you are saying, I think you need to quit. NOW!
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1989 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am roughly 43 hours from my last drink. Experiencing high levels of anxiety. The first day was pretty bad. Went to the ER at around 19 hours, got an IV, pumped full of benzo’s and had my blood checked. They released me with a pack of benzo’s with the option to stay in the hospital for inpatient therapy.

I chose to to go home. Slept a ton. I’m worried what the next day is going to look like. Barely holding it together right now with the highest dose of benzo’s. Tomorrow there will be less meds to help get through this. I’ll be at 48 hours at midnight my time. I’ll have one more dose before the 48 hour mark. Any advice on 48-72 hours and what that felt like for any of you?
Yes, I know the feeling perfectly. I'm not sure what Benzo's you're into, but I think you should check with your GP or psychiatrist before just quitting them. I'm pretty sure that's not really good.

Regarding the anxiety, hang in there. It will go away. Seriously, it does.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I have been in the ER several times over the years while withdrawing. Usually I just needed an IV and some ativan. I couldn't keep down water without vomiting so was dehydrated. Expect a few days of high anxiety, trouble sleeping, maybe sweating, shaky hands etc.
Same here, my last big bender I had to call the EMT because I physically couldn’t walk. My BP was also sky high. They kept me two nights in hospital until my BP came down. Ativan helped me relax and sleep some. Released on Day 3 and by Day 4 i was mainly just exhausted but the anxiety and high BP got much better. There’s light at the end of the tunnel, jus stay focused on it and trust you’ll feel better soon.