Notices

Juliet Naked: A Movie with an Alcoholism Sidebar

Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Juliet Naked: A Movie with an Alcoholism Sidebar

First, it it seems like the title offends your sensibilities, Juliet never gets naked. In fact Juliet Naked doesn't even refer to a person. It' the name of a record album, and implies analyzing and deconstructing the meanings of the songs in the album. There, I don't think that qualifies as a spoiler.

But I thought I would post this because first of all, I love this film. I guess it would be a romantic comedy, but it's much more interesting than it intends to be funny. Second, it address alcoholism in what I think is a very positive manner. While the alcoholism is a secondary or even tertiary to the plot, it's just there as part of one of the main character's back story, and in the context of the film it rather seems like it needs to be.

The main character is in recovery, has been for years, and unlike most films about alcoholism that focus on the darkness of the trials, temptations, and tribulations of alcohol and it's recovery, this shows a guy like those recovering alcoholics I have met that became my role models, living joyfully in sobriety. Oh he's still got residual problems from the old days that haunt him. Movie scripts sort of demand showing that part of the human condition to show some depth of character, I guess. He doesn't make a big deal out of recovery, and if someone tries to get him to drink, he just rolls his eyes and laughs at the people that don't have a clue.

Rose Byrne and Ethan Hawke. I always watch anything with Ethan Hawke in it. I think his acting is convincing. Rose Byrne too.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. I really enjoyed that film.