Notices

Campral

Old 04-18-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral

Hey all! Thinking about starting Campral to stave off the cravings. On Day 12. Tried naltrexone. Had bad side effects. Would love to hear about others’ experiences with Campral. TIA!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but bumping the thread BabyBlue - hows everything else going?

D
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I took it for a while years ago when my shrink gave me samples he had. When they ran out I stopped taking it cause it cost too much for me. It's been quite a while since I was on it and I don't remember whether it helped or not. Sorry I can't be more informative.

I'd say, if your doctor prescribed it, try it.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a prescription for Campral but have not tried it yet. I also had a bad reaction to Naltrexone last year but my doctor said the Campral shouldn't have any major side effects. Except after taking the Naltrexone and having a bad side effect I'm afraid to take the Campral. But I am going to start it this weekend, I'm so desperate for anything to help me get back on track. Hoping that, coupled with meetings, doctor support and whatever else I can do can get me on the road to where I want to be.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been on Camprol a couple of times. For me it did nothing . I have met a couple of people who said it helped.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you going to keep drinking, and just "hope" the Campral helps with cravings? I found that to be, well, pointless. It may or may not have helped me with cravings, but I really didn't let it do its job.

IME and strongly IMO, drugs can help us. Taking Antabuse (the one that can kill you if you drink on it) for my first 90 days of truly having quit, for good, was a great tool.

What does your dr say and to what extent are you discussing your plans to quit/stay sober/etc? To me, those are the key questions, and a program of recovery, then a focus on "extras" is the successful path if permanent sobriety is what you want.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it's helped with cravings - but I get EXHAUSTED on Campral - I have to take hour and a half naps in the middle of the day - something I've never done... And I never really feel refreshed when waking up - doing it in conjunction with 12 step group though. I'm hoping the tiredness goes away.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Took this medication and let me tell you it is not a miracle cure for cravings, but may be of some help, if you combine it with things like AA counciling or psychotherapy but every one is different it may work for you.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agreed

i took it for a few weeks but by then my mindset had changed, and I’d decided to quit anyway. It takes a week or two to have an effect, but I reckon it made a difference and reduced by cravings.

Here in the U.K, in order to get Campral, I had to see my GP, see a councillor, see a nurse and then go to w pharmacy to collect my Campral. It seemed after all that effort, I had a bit more incentive not to drink, possibly a placebo effect but it helped.

if you take Campral and want to drink, it won’t stop you. Willpower required
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I took it for a while. Still have half the bottle here. Mild stomach upset that resolved quickly. Felt like it helped for a bit but nothing spectacular. Taking big pills 3x a day didn’t work.