Notices

I need help

Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

I have been an alcoholic since I was 21 and in the Marines. I did a few deployments to Afghanistan and deal with some anxiety. I’m currently a police officer. I went sober for 8 months last year, and the devil took control again. I have no clue what to do! Should I go to treatment? Will I risk losing my job? I’m in such a crossroads between getting real help and being worried about losing my job and unable to pay all my bills. I know I need to fix this..but it’s much easier said than done.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Ty, good to have you here. I tried a few different things, all of which failed, and I finally got sober through Alcoholics Anonymous. That was/is free and in most cities holds meetings at all times from morning till late. It is something you could check out while remaining completely anonymous.

On the site here you will also meet people who have had success with other methods, and there is also a lot of encouragement and support. Feel free to message me if I can help. I have been sober the AA way for quite a long time.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ty

some of us have gone to treatment, some of us use meeting based groups like AA SMART Recovery or Lifering, some used a book based approach like Rational Recovery, and some of us made good use of this community

whatever method you choose the basic resolve needs to be a willingness to change and desire to be sober

D
Old 04-15-2019, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on your 8 months last year, sorry to hear your addiction took hold again. It happens.
What helped you to stop then?

I don't know but I imagine the police as employers are pretty good and would support you if you felt able to ask for help. Difficult I know, but worth it for sobriety.

Keep posting and good luck.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ty, welcome to SR and it's good to hear you recognize that you have a problem. It's hard to say how much direct investment in terms of treatment that you feel that you need, because it's different for each person. Recovery, I think, is very specific to the person that needs it. Have you tried to stop drinking for any period of time yet?

Being a police officer has to be very stressful, and that kind of input can contribute to the desire to pick up. I found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy very useful to me in coping with my own worries and in recognizing negative thoughts that can cause me to think about a drink, then what to do about those ideas and feelings. It's something that you can perhaps use on your own or with the guidance of others to aid you in that area.

We can all appreciate that you want to remain anonymous, especially as it concerns your vocation. SR is a great place for that and to help you sort out whether or not you need more to obtain sobriety. Putting aside the alcohol will also inform you about how much you need. It really does begin with just not drinking at all.

Thank you for your prior and continued service.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe by law (I know from the company I retired from) you are protected from losing your job seeking addiction help. Good luck to you.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ty2525, welcome. Thank you for your service both abroad and here at home.
Being a police officer is one of the most stressful careers with the highest numbers of alcohol abuse. (Many family members in law enforcement). Have you tried speaking with your union leaders? You will be protected from job loss and rehab or treatment programs are typically paid for. I can assure you, there are other officers in similar positions. Get the help you need now before it gets worse.
You will find plenty of support here. You are not alone.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going Ty?

D
Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ty, Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

If you're motivated to stop drinking and stay sober, you will find lots of support here.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ty,

The recovery from relapses gets worse each time.

Eventually the crazy just stays.

Some folks have an easier time getting and staying non drinking.

That is my way. I don't drink anymore. Born again proud non drinker.

I suffered a hell on earth that is hard to explain. I still suffer but I am used to it.

I don't know about the police, but when working with other agencies, many rx drugs are disqualifying. I have never gotten into specifics about my work here and don't plan to start.

Bottom line, I kept my lifestyle change low key. It worked for me.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey, Ty

I'm glad you posted.

Look on your employer's HR website for an Employee Assistance Program. You can go see them and they will help you find support. They are not permitted to tell your supervisors anything about your condition. If you've been full-time at your job for over a year, your job will be protected while you get treatment, and you also don't need to disclose why you need to be out - it's simply medical leave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family...ve_Act_of_1993

I've been through it - you are welcome to PM me if you want to know more about my experience and how I handled the work stuff.

O