Notices

Changing jobs

Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing jobs

Hi all, I'm day 16 or 17 sober (lost track) just now. I have been wanting to change jobs for ages but want my sober self to be making that decision as good as possible.

Is it too early in my sobriety to be thinking of this? I drank light/heavy consistently for 5 years....

My current job is easy with good money but SO BORING.

Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Losing a job is considered a major life event, while changing jobs probably ranks up there in terms of that, too, when you think about introducing stress into one's world.

You are going through major change presently by not drinking. Unless I found that the boredom you describe is a generator of a desire to drink, I would be cautious about going into something else presently. Rather, what can you do to make your job more interesting to yourself and to perhaps bring positive attention to how you fill your role in your work world? This sounds like a time to do a cost-benefit review of such a decision.

Because most of my own relationships are centered around work, my perspective is informed by that and may not be yours.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got a promotion to a new position in my company just days after quitting.. I dont know if the same would hold true for everyone, but for me, it has been incredibly refreshing and beneficial to have a completely different day to day schedule and to learn a new daily routine. Again, this just happened to be a positive outcome for me, dont know how it would affect anyone else.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lost my job about 8 months before getting sober due to my alcoholism. When I sobered up I quickly needed to find a new job. I started at about two months sober, and for me the biggest benefit is now my job has never been associated with drinking. It’s totally been apart of my sober routine. So my experience was positive, but also out of necessity.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not look while in your current job? That is what I'm doing now. I would quit if and only if I had a large safety net. I don't.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only worried that my foggy brain (its still quite foggy and unwieldy ) is going to let me down in a new role. I'd like a role that gave me a bit of a challenge and required me to think a bit more. But I can't think that much more, cos my head is so foggy half the time! I postponed doing my Masters study for 6 months purely because I couldn't concentrate (this was when I was still drinking trying to 'cut down' around 6 weeks ago). It's frustrating being in a bit of a brain prison but I can't say I haven't earned that with my actions over the last 5 years... sigh... ok now I'm just venting. I wonder if you guys have felt that? Thanks to everyone
Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

A boring not too taxing job might be good for you right now. Get sober and worry about getting a new one or starting your Masters when your head has cleared.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input guys... I think not changing right now and focussing on my new sober life is probably a better idea.... if I hadn't poured 5 years of my life down the drain I'd definitely be in a position to change jobs... I guess I got myself here! And it could be worse. One step at a time, as always, I want to go from A-Z in a second :S
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the input guys... I think not changing right now and focussing on my new sober life is probably a better idea.... if I hadn't poured 5 years of my life down the drain I'd definitely be in a position to change jobs... I guess I got myself here! And it could be worse. One step at a time, as always, I want to go from A-Z in a second :S
I think if you can possibly stick it out for a while do that - you may change your mind several times over coming months - I did, on a whole variety of things, in my first 90 days

and yeah I wouldn't leave one job without another one waiting for me, but that's just me.

D