Notices

Day 157

Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 157

It seems I am creating a weekly ritual posting here.. I read posts often but don't really post.
5 months and 6 days sober. Thankfully I have an app to keep track. I do like counting days as it really does keep me accountable and reminds me how far I have come from that miserable existence I called living.
I was reading this interesting book about going sober. This may help some people who stop and start and don't think they can go past a few days sober and are back at Day 1 over and over again.
Now with months of sobriety I can say that you are doing the hardest part over and over again without getting to the good part. Sobriety is not all about hardship and denial because that's what your subconscious will eventually keep telling you if you don't push through. It is a hard and a tough road I know. It does take commitment and perseverance though but the reward is there.
Life has become so uncomplicate now. Calmness and freedom I thought impossible is possible.
Heading towards 6 months and life could not be better. Look at sobriety in a positive way it has so much to offer you. Endless possibilities.
I also read about relapse rates/stats.. 1/3 will relapse within the first year, 50% after year 1. If you stay sober 5 years+ it drops to 15%. I know stats, where do they come from, how reliable are they etc.. Just interesting though. Have a great sober week !
Old 04-14-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At day 8 and I needed to hear this.
I'm not going to drink but can't stop my mind from feeling thoughts of mourning and loss. Mourning poison it's crazy I know. I too have a sober counter app and love watching it climb.
Congrats on 157 days. That's something to be proud of.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 157 Sydneyman

I has so many stats flying at me in the early days I pretty much resolved the only stat I needed to worry about was me 100% not drinking.

It worked for me

D
Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree D. Too much information to digest or worry about. This is my journey and all I need to do is not drink.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with this post so much, I am so so grateful I pushed passed the very beginning. I’m almost at 7 months and agree so much, things have gotten so much easier. The first few months for me were so rough. But now I can finally see things with clarity!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 157 days sydneyman
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The reality of it boils down to not drinking (using), and it does reap rewards. It's always good to hear from you, that you are finding your sobriety changing your world in ever better feelings and outcomes. We mustn't forget where we came from or lose sight of where we are going.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
The reality of it boils down to not drinking (using), and it does reap rewards. It's always good to hear from you, that you are finding your sobriety changing your world in ever better feelings and outcomes. We mustn't forget where we came from or lose sight of where we are going.
I will NEVER forget where I came from. It is cemented in my brain. I don't have to dig deep to remember the drinking to function.
Pacing around the house when I ran out (wasn't often), ordering booze home delivered on an app staring at the clock for them to do so at 11am (legally only could home deliver then). Not going to work so I could drink. Playing own mind games about drinking. Vomiting but still forcing myself to drink. Doing this for years. I don't think I ever will forget any of that. My alcohol use disorder was exactly that a DISORDER. I was so unable to get out of my depressed state that I needed to snort coke to get me up. It was a total uppers/downers/uppers existence. Life has now become so uncomplicated. I can sit on the lounge with a cup of coffee and read, watch Netflix or chat on the phone. I am no longer an erratic lunatic addict. I can see that old me clearly. My actions and my behaviours. I had no boundaries and I was all over the shop. I have set my own boundaries now. I am learning to grow up.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, sydneyman. I am so happy that you are doing so well.

I remember the shiver that went down my spine when reading such statistics when I began my sober journey. Shortly thereafter, a relative laughed at me and told me that I would never be able to make sobriety last. It occurred to me that I was the one who held the steering wheel on this ride. I put a 3M sticky note on my frig which read “Oh yeah? Just watch me!”
Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats me. “Yeah. I will show you all”
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

👍