Notices

Podcasts & Recovery

Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Podcasts & Recovery

Hi all -

A recent focus area of mine has been finding podcasts on recovery. There are a lot out there that range from addiction to drugs and alcohol, relationship issues (codependency; parenting kids when you are sober; dealing with a spouse who won't quit, on and on), mental health issues (and often their commingling with substance abuse).

Faves I have - perhaps y'all can contribute yours?
(Dee, if this should be in another section, since it's not just for newcomers and goes across all recovery methods, would you please move?)

-Recovery Rocks (one 12 step and one totally different method(s) host, out of NYC, Lisa and Tawny)
- Busy Living Sober (Elizabeth "Busy" Chance and she has guests with stories often connected to relationships and family)
-Dax Shepard's armchair expert where he talks about life, recovery, has lots of interesting and often famous guests
- Recovery Happy Hour
-The Unruffled Podcast on Art and Recovery
-For the Love with Jen Hatmaker (she has topics like mindfulness and vulnerability from guests such as Richard Rohr and Brene Brown)
-To Know We Are Not Alone - a mental health podcast that is also exploring overlap with addiction and alcoholism and on which I was just a guest (Alcoholism, Acceptance and Self Care)
- The Garnish: A Podcast by Toast (restaurant industry issues and upcoming episodes about addiction within)

I'm late to the party on listening to podcasts at all, but it's on my mind since my first spot just came out!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a rabid podcast listener & will definitely check these out. Thanks for posting
Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love Jen Hatmaker and Brene Brown.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Podcasts on Recovery Elevator. Life saver
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jen Hatmaker and Recovery Elevator are two I have put in my library but not started!!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with sydneyman .
I'm new to podcasts and recovery elevator was the first one I came across. Sadly I can relate to so much of what I hear in the interviews but they're inspiring at the same time.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find myself listening to That Sober Guy a lot. I’ll have to give Dax Shepard a try.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love a lot of these, some not mentioned that I also enjoy are the bubble hour, two sober chicks, sober cast, and this naked mind. I’m always looking for more too! Following!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One reason I respect Brene Brown even more is I learned she is in recovery!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Since Right Now, hosted by three guys in recovery, is a good one.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Hi all -

A recent focus area of mine has been finding podcasts on recovery. There are a lot out there that range from addiction to drugs and alcohol, relationship issues (codependency; parenting kids when you are sober; dealing with a spouse who won't quit, on and on), mental health issues (and often their commingling with substance abuse).

Faves I have - perhaps y'all can contribute yours?
(Dee, if this should be in another section, since it's not just for newcomers and goes across all recovery methods, would you please move?)

-Recovery Rocks (one 12 step and one totally different method(s) host, out of NYC, Lisa and Tawny)
- Busy Living Sober (Elizabeth "Busy" Chance and she has guests with stories often connected to relationships and family)
-Dax Shepard's armchair expert where he talks about life, recovery, has lots of interesting and often famous guests
- Recovery Happy Hour
-The Unruffled Podcast on Art and Recovery
-For the Love with Jen Hatmaker (she has topics like mindfulness and vulnerability from guests such as Richard Rohr and Brene Brown)
-To Know We Are Not Alone - a mental health podcast that is also exploring overlap with addiction and alcoholism and on which I was just a guest (Alcoholism, Acceptance and Self Care)
- The Garnish: A Podcast by Toast (restaurant industry issues and upcoming episodes about addiction within)

I'm late to the party on listening to podcasts at all, but it's on my mind since my first spot just came out!
I just listened to your episode of “to know we are not alone”, such a great listen! Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Aww thanks! I'm usually the "background" person on the restaurant recovery group I lead (the other three Board members are big names and faces in the industry!) but as a woman in the group (all other city leaders are men) and with my own journey I'm starting to broaden my digital footprint.

I just listened to Euphoric with Danielle and Karolina - they have recent episode on morning routines and one on evening routines. Danielle is very into working both AM and PM meditation into her days.