Notices

I need to come back

Old 04-14-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to come back

I've let things slide, I lost sight of my sobriety, so I'm back and need to get myself on track again, a few things have been going on in my life, which is not a way of excusing myself, nor a valid reason. I have no one to blame apart from myself. I think I need to be totally honest and take my sobriety serious again, I got complacent, I lost sight of the reasons why I needed to stop drinking.
I think since Christmas I've picked up a drink on 3 separate occasions, but not carried on as in a bender. Just those specific evenings. I can stop drinking, that's the easy part, staying off it is the hard part.
I'm not going to bang on about how sad/angry / disappointed I am. There really is no point. I can't change it. I know I need to fill my time with other stuff, I know I need up my game. I thought it was all going ok, but here I am. I've got to keep my head focused again.
Here we go again on day 1
Doris x
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome back!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very difficult to deal with when you're sure you're done drinking and then seemingly out of nowhere you slip.....I've been there literally hundreds of times.
This is why it helps to follow a program or come to an online support group regularly, even after you sober up. Continue doing the things that helped you get sober even if you feel like you won't drink again. Alcoholic urges are like snakes in the grass. You don't see them coming before they attack.

Good job coming to a board to talk about it and trying again instead of giving up on yourself
Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Doris, you've taken the right steps to get back on track. I've been where you are so many times, this time I've been back for 12 months and I'm staying here. Complacency was my downfall and I refuse to let it happen again. You know what to do so get doing it, we're all here for you. Xx
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can stop drinking, that's the easy part, staying off it is the hard part.

You might want to reframe this. Basically, you can abstain temporarily but can't stop drinking. I know how easy it can seem to rationalize these "slips," but in reality all you're doing is fueling your AV by thinking you still have some power over alcohol. Continuing to drink when you don't want to is what we do as addicts - so what is your plan to get sober and stay that way?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
I can stop drinking, that's the easy part, staying off it is the hard part.

You might want to reframe this. Basically, you can abstain temporarily but can't stop drinking. I know how easy it can seem to rationalize these "slips," but in reality all you're doing is fueling your AV by thinking you still have some power over alcohol. Continuing to drink when you don't want to is what we do as addicts - so what is your plan to get sober and stay that way?
I'm aware I didn't slip, I picked up a drink . I'm taking full responsibility for it. My plan at this moment in time is to not drink. I will continue to keep trying, that's all I can do ultimately it's down to me. I will keep pushing forward. I have a few issues I'm dealing with,which will help my greatly. I have things in place
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you’re here.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Doris,

Your post helped me today.

I am not going to slip or relapse, but I still hurt sometimes.

I know what works to stay clean and obviously so do you.

I have tried and true methods..e.g. reading and posting here, projects, shows, fitness, eating etc that get me through the crave times.

I am so proud to be a non drinker.

Don't look at your relapse or whatever as failure. Count your clean time as success. Your mind and body are better for it.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
I'm aware I didn't slip, I picked up a drink . I'm taking full responsibility for it. My plan at this moment in time is to not drink. I will continue to keep trying, that's all I can do ultimately it's down to me. I will keep pushing forward. I have a few issues I'm dealing with,which will help my greatly. I have things in place
Hi, I'm new here. You literally read my mind and ❤️. This is hard, actions make the journey worth it.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=D122y;7164639]Doris,

Your post helped me today.

I am not going to slip or relapse, but I still hurt sometimes.

I know what works to stay clean and obviously so do you.

I have tried and true methods..e.g. reading and posting here, projects, shows, fitness, eating etc that get me through the crave times.

I am so proud to be a non drinker.

Don't look at your relapse or whatever as failure. Count your clean time as success. Your mind and body are better for it.

Thank you so much for this, I took my eye off the game for sure 😊 I need to step up again. Which I will, I have no doubt about that, we stumble an we fall, but you just gotta get up again x
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Doris - I did this a couple times, & it's led to me being sober for 11 yrs. For some of us, picking up again is a valuable learning experience. Some get it right the first time, but we're all different. It sounds like you are now ready for your sober life.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Doris - I did this a couple times, & it's led to me being sober for 11 yrs. For some of us, picking up again is a valuable learning experience. Some get it right the first time, but we're all different. It sounds like you are now ready for your sober life.
I want it, I have to work harder Hevyn, yeah I think I have learnt from this finally, I just end up in a mess, beating myself up xx
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It’s an effing monster.
Too big to mess around with.
I did it too and let it take too much.
Good job this place is here to confirm such things.

321 you’re back in the room

Sounded a bit like Ted Rodgers then.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad your back. Think about what you can do differently this time. I’ve heard people talk about having a plan—I never understood that until I was serious about quitting. Make a plan. And post often, we are here for you.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, Doris, and before you have let it go to full relapse. I did that so many times and just gave up on myself before finally getting sober. I hope you will stick around here even when you feel sober strong. This is one way of guarding against complacency. Plus you inspire others!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Doris

D
Old 04-14-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back Doris and don't beat yourself up about it. You can't change anything behind you, but you can make sure today, tomorrow and each day after are better for you
Old 04-14-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

complacency is the enemy of recovery. because the beast NEVER sleeps, never takes a day off. having a recovery PLAN does a couple things.....one, obvious, it gives us a direction, a path, and the tools necessary for the journey. second, by having a plan, committing to it - whatever that might look like - we have, on a daily basis, the opportunity to recommit.

recovery is a new habit, and new habits take time to fully develop. imagine if you made the decision that from now on you planned to brush your teeth with the OTHER hand, the hand you have NOT used all your life. nobody has to stand there and read the instructions to be able to brush their teeth. it is ingrained and done without much conscious thought.

but if we now want to CHANGE that routine, move the brush to the opposite hand, it will take immense amounts of thought and focus. it is highly likely that at 6:30am, getting ready for work, you will still start using the "wrong" hand and have to stop, think, and switch hands. you might NEED to post instructions, so you can easily review your new plan.............

recovery takes time. and commitment.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back, Doris. You can do this.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know, I'm so glad I've come back. It's been a tough few months in my personal life as well. I get so down sometimes ( another beast that I'm fighting ) I try so hard to be everything to everyone else. I know now I need to be here for myself. I have got things in place, things which will help in all aspects in my life. Even though I know I've picked up a drink, I've had addiction for 25-30 years. I'm just thankful that I didn't go full steam xx