Notices

One month

Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month

I can't quite believe I'm posting and able to say I've been sober for a month. This is the longest I've gone without alcohol since I started drinking at 18 (I'm 29 next month). I could have said the same at 3 weeks but that was only because I had chicken pox a few years ago and was housebound. As soon I was better I was straight to an off licence buying wine. Here are a few things I've noticed:

1) I don't like beer! I decided enough was enough when I got back from Sweden last month and a few days in I had a NA beer to see what I thought. Initial reaction was "It tastes like beer" and once i'd finished and not gotten that 'buzz' I realised I hadn't even enjoyed it.
2) I like reading. I never read fiction before, but I've just finished 'Enigma Variations' (I'd recommend it) and now I'm onto 'YOU' by Caroline Kepnes.
3) It's been hard. First 3 days were a breeze because my usual routine was 3 days off then get absolutely wasted on the 4th. 2 weeks in my anxiety was sky high and my moods were interchanging very rapidly.
4) I have neglected my family. When I would drink, my family would be lucky to get a grunt out of me, and I was very dismissive of them and what they had to say. The past couple of weeks I've made a conscious effort to check in on them and see how they're doing.

I am definitely going to take heed with some advice from a previous thread I started, and that is to avoid situations where I'm tempted by drink. I had a few engagements this month that I did attend and thankfully didn't drink, but it wasn't easy. I haven't got much coming up except for potentially starting a new job, so i'm definitely going to be wary of saying "yes" to everything. Thanks to everyone on here. Your posts are always very enlightening.

One day at a time.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like you're travelling well GrayJ - congrats on your month

D
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! In my early months I avoided any and all situations where alcohol might be involved. I would even change the channel if I saw it being enjoyed on tv.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! Its amazing how abundant advertising of alcohol is. I have certainly noticed it more with not drinking.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats!! Take whatever measures necessary to maintain your sobriety. Patience now, will reap rewards later. And yes, one day at a time.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A month is fantastic! That's when my head started to straighten out a little bit. By 120 days I felt really good most of the time. Keep it going!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 1 month

be careful of na beer

ive known many people who relapsed with it

one guy started on na beer after years of continuous sobriety then got really drunk crashed his car and lost an arm

Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations, and it sounds like you're taking good care of your sobriety.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
great job on 1 month

be careful of na beer

ive known many people who relapsed with it

one guy started on na beer after years of continuous sobriety then got really drunk crashed his car and lost an arm

Thank you! It was quite unpleasant anyway to be honest. And that story is enough to put anyone off.

Thanks guys x