Notices

If You're Going Through Withdrawal

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If You're Going Through Withdrawal

1. Go to the ER, especially if you've had a seizure before, DT's before, or just feel jumpy as hell in general. And if you don't, at least don't go through it unsupervised. If you've been active in your addiction, people know. You may think you're a ninja, but people know; and a lot of them want to help. My boss sent me home from work because he could see it in my face. Told me to go to AA and just get help in general. I drank for two more days then managed a supervised taper. It wasn't pleasant, and I would recommend an ER visit to others.

2. The symptoms go away. They may be uncomfortable for a couple of days, but there are plenty of stories here of people going through unimaginable hell and now living happy lives.

3. You're more than your addiction. I've failed so many times, but guess what? This was the last one. I'm making a plan of action for how I'm going to maintain my sobriety. It includes meetings. It includes SR. It includes doing absolutely anything but pick up that first drink when I get a craving. It also includes a therapist. I have a behavioral health intake tomorrow morning.

I've kicked my own ass enough. Onward to day 3 tomorrow. If I can do it, you can do it too.
Oh and whatever you've done or said; people that you've hurt in your addiction, that can be healed with time. Actions speak louder than words. I have personally met several recovered addicts and alcoholics that are or were some of the brightest, kindest, most amazing people.

I'm about to cry as I type this.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this TWTOM - your care and concern for others shines through

You're doing great - onto day 3 is a really solid start - but I hope you feel better soon

D
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending you healing vibes....bless you on your journey
Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending you hugs on your sober journey.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day three. You can do this! I'm sorry things are tough but thank you for sharing.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

great job hun on day 3 and thanks for your post x
Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice to see you pulling through.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

While your advice is good, sometimes the ER is not viably financially.. My last trip cost me nearly 3K for 4 hours. I relapsed last week and went on a binge that ended Saturday. I've never had DT's, but lots of vomiting and anxiety, haven't slept for almost 2 days. The insomnia is killing me. I'm trying to taper tonight to sleep (worked for almost 30 days last time), but my stomach is still pretty sour and I don't want to overdue it.

I now realize I'm powerless to alcohol and need to stop it for the good of my mental and physical wellbeing. Those that look at my history see I've struggled in previous years.. Would get clean, then thinking "hey I can hack a couple drinks at night.". And this whole process would hit me again and after weeks I would be drunk every night. The insomnia is absolutely crippling for.

God bless to everyone struggling with this.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in the US but bottom line I'd rather deal with a bill than being dead.

D