Notices

Campfire triggers

Old 04-07-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campfire triggers

I sat around a campfire with friends who were all drinking last night and definitely felt a twinge of anxiety. Not necessarily wanting a drink, but maybe just remembering the MANY times spent drinking around a fire, only the good times, of course. I’m not sure how to describe what I was feeling, because it wasn’t a craving, but more of just my body not being sure what to do with itself as I adjusted to a new habit of sitting around a fire without drinking (or smoking, as I’ve mostly quit that in recent years, too).

It was uncomfortable a bit, but afterwards checking in and reading some posts reminded my body why we’re changing up patterns and I was able to relax. Thanks, guys!
Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that went well for you.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah that would be brutal for me. I love camping and anything involving fire. Sitting around a fire with beer...or wine...or bourbon......sigh, lol. So many good times.

Good for you in handling it.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The poisoning may have felt good for a while, but I doubt the come down was all that much fun.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a tough test KeepingUp. An environment full of triggers and you handled it really well. You should talk on SR about that situation and how you handled it. Lots and lots of people who post on SR have real difficulty around their version of the "campfire" and around friends and others who are using.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish it was only campfires. Since I have started this journey everything I did before was related to drinking or getting high or smoking cigarettes. That was my whole life. I might do other things through the course of a day but I knew that I was going to do preferably all of those things at least. Sometimes I think I kinda miss that life for a second or two and then I realize what an awesome thing that I have done and I never thought that I was ever going to be able to change the life that I was leading. I don't think I could have done it without this place called SR and all you wonderful people on here that are so much like me but different. I truly love all you guys!