Relapsed Codie

Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed Codie

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible. I was on SR a bunch of years ago—it kinda saved my life. I was dealing with the massive pain of being in a relationship with an emotionally abusive alcoholic. SR helped me to maintain NC for about 18 months while I worked on my codependency.

Four years ago, I moved to the South (from California) and the A and I resumed platonic contact. We talked on the phone a lot because I’ve had a hard time meeting people here. Things were better between us because of the time change—I was asleep by the time he’d really get going drinking in CA. Over the course of the four years, I did receive a few abusive emails but immediately went NC with him until he weaseled his way back into my life somehow. I honestly felt like I was in a different place with him. His insults didn’t hurt; they just seemed ridiculous. And going NC no longer felt like withdrawal from a powerful drug. I felt like I could handle the friendship because we weren’t enmeshed anymore. Plus, I live on the other side of the country.

About a month ago, I went to CA to visit my parents and made the massive mistake of sleeping with him. I suffered loss this year and have been struggling emotionally, so I guess I wanted the escape and didn’t give a crap about the consequences. He showed up drunk to dinner, we drank more together and smoked a bunch of weed. The sex was intense which was predictable.

Anyway, now I’m a vulnerable, codependent mess. He’s being totally solicitous, talking about love and the future. I feel horrible about myself; my self-esteem has evaporated. I guess I do love this man but the denial and pretending is making me sick. I’m riddled with anxiety because I know the backlash is coming. He’s an abuser, not physically, but verbally and emotionally. I’m poised to be totally devastated but won’t save myself.

I know I’ve relapsed. I know I need to do the work. And I know I probably need to go NC to get better, but I can’t/won’t. Thank you for reading. Part of doing the work is being part of this community and I’m grateful for it.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi codieinsc, welcome back but sorry for what brings you here, of course.

The part of your post that really stood out to me is this:

And I know I probably need to go NC to get better, but I can’t/won’t.
You can, but you won't, why is that? What is holding you there, what held you there before.

Nothing here has changed, he is still that same guy who, I'm guessing, almost destroyed you before.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I won’t, maybe because I’m too scared of how hard it’s going to be. I’m emotionally exhausted and feel weak. I’m hoping by sticking around here, I’ll get my head back on straight. Thank you so much for replying.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sticking around here is a great start, but some real life support would go a long way. Do you have a counselor of some kind? A therapist?
Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how easy it is for this to happen and your story just shows how we are continuously recovering. Thanks for sharing. The scary part is how easy it can be to loose that confidence and self esteem after all the hard work. I'm sure you will get it back. I too have taken a knock in mine lately and trying to build it up again.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by codieinSC View Post
I won’t, maybe because I’m too scared of how hard it’s going to be. I’m emotionally exhausted and feel weak. I’m hoping by sticking around here, I’ll get my head back on straight. Thank you so much for replying.
It's scary and being emotionally exhausted certainly doesn't help. That's a good caution for anyone who is in this type of relationship. Eventually it wears you down, your self-esteem is shot and there appears to be no way out.

Time to circle the wagons codieinSC. We are here for you for sure. Have you attended Al-Anon at all? Have you read Codependent no more?

Most importantly, what are you doing for your own well being. As you have been down this road before, you probably know that self-focus is your ticket back to well being. Meditation? Journalling? Staying close to SR.

Have you written a list of all the reasons, in point form, of why this relationship is so bad. Of the terrible things he says and does? That's kind of a good starting point I've found. Keep the list close and when you are ruminating or magically thinking how wonderful it could possibly maybe be if this and this and this changed - refer to it. 20 times a day or more as needed.

Play the tape forward. Where does this same road lead? When do you cut your losses? How much more painful will it be?
Old 04-07-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Denial and rationalization are at the heart of all addiction, including codependency. I suggest remembering the worst times between you and preparing for a repeat. How about Alanon?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess I do love this man but the denial and pretending is making me sick.

i'm gonna challenge this.
LOVE does not make us SICK.
unhealthy attachment DOES.

you still live across the country right? so going No Contact is pretty easy to do. over time you let yourself begin to look to him for comfort and contact. you convinced yourself it was ok to start taking his abuse again. you convinced yourself you didn't need to be in No Contact.

he didn't somehow magically weasel his way in.
you opened the door and put out the welcome mat.
which means you can roll up that mat and shut that door anytime.
the power lies with you.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

One day at a time.

While no contact or low contact can be very beneficial in dealing with certain toxic relationships, there are many more skills to be learned. Little things weave together to create healing and growth.

It takes courage to be here, to post and want more. I'm glad you're here.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Sticking around here is a great start, but some real life support would go a long way. Do you have a counselor of some kind? A therapist?
I went to a therapist here but wasn’t comfortable with how small the community is. She was talking about people she knew at my kids’ school. I know there is patient/client confidentiality but I also know that’s not fool proof. Al Anon would be the same situation.

When I was rock bottom before, SR was what saved me. I was in therapy and Al Anon too but SR was the most helpful. I was active in replying to newcomers and I think that process of giving back it really important.

Thank you so much for your reply. This forum is amazing.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm still figuring out how to use this website (I'm not the best with computers) so I'll reply to everyone at once and hope you all see it.

First of all, I really appreciate your replies. The support on this forum is so helpful. I need to be called out on my crap. Anvilhead, you're right: I did let him back into my life. I can't pretend he has all the power when I'm allowing it to happen. About healthy love, I honestly only have experienced this with my parents and children. My romantic relationships have always been chaos. Every single time I feel like I'm in love with a man, I simultaneously become a wreck and the relationship quickly becomes unhealthy. Granted I choose the wrong men but of course, it's also me. I don't think I'm capable of being in a healthy romantic relationship.

I'm wondering what you all think about being a victim of abuse and codependency. I've read "Why Does He Do That?" a few times and in it, Lundy says if you are victim of abuse, you are a victim, not a codependent. Am I trying to see myself as a victim and denying my own sickness?

When someone is both an alcoholic and an abuser, things get so complicated. When I first started my relationship with this man, I actually tried to get him to stop drinking. (Eye roll). I'd get mad at him when he drank and we did the whole sick dance of him pretending to go to AA and me believing he was going to change. That is beyond over so I do feel like in terms of his alcoholism, I'm at a point of clarity.

Is codependency a refusal to take care of yourself or put yourself first? Is it a willingness to be dragged down by the sickness of someone else? Am I a love addict? I've spent years in therapy but honestly, no therapist was as helpful as the people on this forum. I had three different therapists and was never told I might be a codie!?!?

Glenjo, it IS important to keep up the work even when things are going well. I didn't do it. I started to see a psychiatrist after a lifetime of dealing with anxiety. Started Zoloft and felt almost normal for a while, but I wasn't paying attention to the deeper stuff.

Anyway, thank you all again so much for the welcome. Hopefully I can help others beginning their journeys. There's strength together.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by codieinSC View Post
I'm wondering what you all think about being a victim of abuse and codependency. I've read "Why Does He Do That?" a few times and in it, Lundy says if you are victim of abuse, you are a victim, not a codependent. Am I trying to see myself as a victim and denying my own sickness?
Not being an expert in abuse or codependency I can't see why it can't be both.

In the end both things get you to the same place, stuck in a relationship that is unhealthy for you.

Codependency may well be what opened the door for him to come flying back in to your life. Either one may keep you stuck there. But in the end, it really doesn't matter does it? You are unhappy with it and that's really all that matters.

Abuse is insidious, no doubt about that. Understanding why he does it is helpful, I suppose, in that it lets you identify it. The question is what are you going to do about it, how far down that road are you willing to go. You have a relationship with an alcoholic that is abusive.

I won’t, maybe because I’m too scared of how hard it’s going to be. I’m emotionally exhausted and feel weak
I totally get this. You are stuck, you know what you need to do but don't have the strength to do it. Well you do. Baby steps. You don't have to fix all this in an hour, or a day or even a week. Slow, steps. Manageable pieces.

First things first, you need support so stick with it. I'm glad you came back and posted. What kind of family support do you have? Do you have siblings you can talk to at all? Sharing this will remove some of the burden and help you to see things more clearly and help you to regain strength. Spend time with family and friends.

Instead of reading why does he do that, focus more on why you shouldn't be in this relationship. It's one thing to be in a relationship with an alcoholic, it's another to be in an abusive relationship. There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour toward you, none.

Firm up your boundaries. Say no. When he is on the phone talking to you about love and marriage, what is your response? Do you discuss the abuse? If not, why not?

You know that going NC with him is really the way out of this, perhaps to start you could let him know that you need a week to think about things and that you aren't feeling comfortable? Then take that week for yourself. Do good things for yourself. Spend time with friends, post here, eat well and get lots of sleep. Allow yourself time and space to get out of the fog you are stuck in?

Maybe the first boundary would be to not speak to him for a week. The second (if you still want to talk to him after that week) might be to never speak to him when he has been drinking.

https://melodybeattie.com/the-other-side-of-that-story/
Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=trailmix;7160623]Not being an expert in abuse or codependency I can't see why it can't be both.

In the end both things get you to the same place, stuck in a relationship that is unhealthy for you.

Codependency may well be what opened the door for him to come flying back in to your life. Either one may keep you stuck there. But in the end, it really doesn't matter does it? You are unhappy with it and that's really all that matters.

Abuse is insidious, no doubt about that. Understanding why he does it is helpful, I suppose, in that it lets you identify it. The question is what are you going to do about it, how far down that road are you willing to go. You have a relationship with an alcoholic that is abusive.

I totally get this. You are stuck, you know what you need to do but don't have the strength to do it. Well you do. Baby steps. You don't have to fix all this in an hour, or a day or even a week. Slow, steps. Manageable pieces.

First things first, you need support so stick with it. I'm glad you came back and posted. What kind of family support do you have? Do you have siblings you can talk to at all? Sharing this will remove some of the burden and help you to see things more clearly and help you to regain strength. Spend time with family and friends.

Instead of reading why does he do that, focus more on why you shouldn't be in this relationship. It's one thing to be in a relationship with an alcoholic, it's another to be in an abusive relationship. There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour toward you, none.

Firm up your boundaries. Say no. When he is on the phone talking to you about love and marriage, what is your response? Do you discuss the abuse? If not, why not?

You know that going NC with him is really the way out of this, perhaps to start you could let him know that you need a week to think about things and that you aren't feeling comfortable? Then take that week for yourself. Do good things for yourself. Spend time with friends, post here, eat well and get lots of sleep. Allow yourself time and space to get out of the fog you are stuck in?

Maybe the first boundary would be to not speak to him for a week. The second (if you still want to talk to him after that week) might be to never speak to him when he has been drinking.

You all produce the most thoughtful, well-written responses so quickly.

I never speak to this man when he's drinking. I learned that lesson over and over again the hard way. That's why the time change has made things better because I can avoid him when he's drunk by being asleep or pretending to be asleep.

I'm always walking on egg shells with him. I would never bring up the abuse because he'd lose his **** and I'd somehow pay the price. I will be punished if I don't go along with his denial. He's really subtly controlling, always wanting to know where I am and what I'm doing. I used to mistake it for love. I thought he cared what I was up to in the same way I care what my kids are up to. But it isn't that.

I have support in California but I don't have anyone here. I have one pretty good friend but she's really healthy and I think she'd be horrified to find out I have this side to me. The positive of her is I've never attracted anyone so healthy into my life before and thought it was sign I was finally healthy myself. The downside is I'm embarrassed in front of her about who I really am.

The A keeps me company on the phone. We talk for hours a day on the days he isn't teaching (He is a professor at a university so has many days free.) That isn't healthy. Who talks for hours each day, especially in an on and off relationship that's gone on for ten years? That level of interaction isn't sustainable and then the backlash comes. Also, all the time I'm wasting speaking to him means I'm not out trying to meet new people. I'm like an addict, self-isolating with my drug. I do understand that.

The hardest part of letting go of him is letting go of the fantasy that he loves me. His obsessive nature and control feels like passion sometimes. It's so damn depressing to accept the fact that I've wasted years of my life with this sick person who is incapable of loving anyone. The loneliness I'm going to face feels daunting. I appreciate the suggestion to take care of myself. If you are actively loving yourself, the love of a man doesn't feel as necessary. It's easy to forget to do that, especially when it doesn't come naturally.

You're absolutely right that I should focus more on why I'm in the relationship rather than "Why he does that?" My attempt to try to understand him is just a way of avoiding looking at my own stuff. This is why I love SR. It helps so much to put things in writing and get feedback. You can totally see where your thinking has gone awry!:
Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reading your post gives me cold chills. Been there, done that.

The difference in me today and the me back then is no way would I do that to me today. I have earned back my self respect.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is it me or is this site really hard to navigate? I quoted your entire reply. Omg.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have support in California but I don't have anyone here.

and you won't if you don't CHANGE your ways and attitudes. as long as you stay glued to the phone with somebody or continue the chant "there is no one here for me, there is no one here for me" you build a force field around yourself that guarantees nobody can get IN.

and you might want to look at that. are you hoping to be rescued? are you willing to put yourself out there - even attending alanon, or signing up for pottery class, or an activity club? there are lots of "singles" clubs that aren't about hooking up. but you can't expect the new THEMS to come find you, you'll have to be out in the open!!!

and you don't have to fix it all in one day. start with phone time. think about WHAT ELSE you could be doing. what are you avoiding? WHY are you avoiding it?

is this really about HIM..............or about you?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post

The difference in me today and the me back then is no way would I do that to me today. I have earned back my self respect.
Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

and you won't if you don't CHANGE your ways and attitudes. as long as you stay glued to the phone with somebody or continue the chant "there is no one here for me, there is no one here for me" you build a force field around yourself that guarantees nobody can get IN.

and you might want to look at that. are you hoping to be rescued? are you willing to put yourself out there - even attending alanon, or signing up for pottery class, or an activity club? there are lots of "singles" clubs that aren't about hooking up. but you can't expect the new THEMS to come find you, you'll have to be out in the open!!!

and you don't have to fix it all in one day. start with phone time. think about WHAT ELSE you could be doing. what are you avoiding? WHY are you avoiding it?

It’s about me. Of course it is about me. I could and should be doing a million other things with my time.
I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Depression. Social anxiety. Anti-socialism. Weakness.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post

That’s so good. I need role models.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

So my new idea is that every time I feel lonely and want to reach out to him, I am instead going to come on SR, not just to whine about my life but also to give back. And if he reaches out to me, I’m going to become increasingly unavailable.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling, and powerful, isn't it?