Notices

Admitting there’s a problem

Old 04-06-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitting there’s a problem

Hello all,

Today is the day I decided to finally say I have a problem and I don’t want to drink anymore.

Ive kept it a secret, but I have been drinking 5 nights a week for 5 months. It didn’t seem that long to me, but I noticed my one glass of wine turned to three a night. And I knew i would drink more if I didn’t have my two young kids at home. I also knew it was a problem because when I did get to go out without the kids, I would drink myself stupid (embarrassing) and not stop I never did know when I’ve “had enough” ever since I started at 14. I can’t turn down alcohol - if it’s there I will drink it.

I opened up and told my mom and husband today about how I’ve been feeling like a problem. They both think I’m just bored after the kids go To bed but I do not. They are supportive either way.

I’m hoping I’m able to get through this. I haven’t gone more than a night without a drink in a long time. Thanks for reading
Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Lilyflower - I'm so glad you found us. You're in good company - we all understand.

That was the hard part for me - the admission. I drank many years & always thought I would one day be able to control it with willpower. I failed to realize that once that first drink is in our system, anything can happen. The only way to get free is to stop all together. You can do it!
Old 04-06-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lilyflower - you've found a great place for support

D
Old 04-06-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You've found a great place for support.
I started drinking at fourteen, too. And I would drink alcoholicly for the next thirty years.
Good for you for realizing you may have a problem and coming clean with it.
That's very brave of you.
It took me a long time to admit my drinking problem, but deep down I knew I had one for many years.

I hope you can quit on your own, and if you find you can't there are options.
Best to you and you're not alone.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You just noticed in time, just before its become serious problem.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Lily! That's the name of one of my cats and is a favorite name of mine.

You are smart to stop drinking before bad things can happen - and they will, if you continue to drink.

There's lots of support here. I hope you'll use our support to help you get sober for good.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Lilyflower0,

I started drinking very early also. I am now 51 and 36 days sober. This is a great place to be. Take advantage of the wisdom within.

The best thing about being sober, is being sober. No hangovers. No wondering what you did the night before and to whom. Life is better without alcohol. You can do it!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome, Lilyflower - I'm so glad you found us. You're in good company - we all understand.

That was the hard part for me - the admission. I drank many years & always thought I would one day be able to control it with willpower. I failed to realize that once that first drink is in our system, anything can happen. The only way to get free is to stop all together. You can do it!

Thank you ! I always thought with time, maturity, kids, etc that I would learn to pace myself but I never caught on. Better late than never to realize ? 😂
Old 04-06-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Lilyflower - you've found a great place for support

D
thank you!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Hello and welcome. You've found a great place for support.
I started drinking at fourteen, too. And I would drink alcoholicly for the next thirty years.
Good for you for realizing you may have a problem and coming clean with it.
That's very brave of you.
It took me a long time to admit my drinking problem, but deep down I knew I had one for many years.

I hope you can quit on your own, and if you find you can't there are options.
Best to you and you're not alone.
i also felt there was a problem for years. It is hard admitting it. Thanks so much !
Old 04-06-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome Lily! That's the name of one of my cats and is a favorite name of mine.

You are smart to stop drinking before bad things can happen - and they will, if you continue to drink.

There's lots of support here. I hope you'll use our support to help you get sober for good.

thank you - this forum is my first stop. I hope it is helpful as well. Do you find posting a lot helps or just browsing the site ?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chrissy1104 View Post
Hello Lilyflower0,

I started drinking very early also. I am now 51 and 36 days sober. This is a great place to be. Take advantage of the wisdom within.

The best thing about being sober, is being sober. No hangovers. No wondering what you did the night before and to whom. Life is better without alcohol. You can do it!

thank you so much for your encouragement. Congrats on your 36 days !
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you - this forum is my first stop. I hope it is helpful as well. Do you find posting a lot helps or just browsing the site ?
Hi Lily, and welcome.

Posting or just browsing? In the beginning I browsed a lot - really a lot, and read as much as I could. I posted when I felt like it , but when I joined a class is when I started posting more .

I was amazed at the fact that people responded and cared. SR has saved my life - honestly- you have come to the right place . Good luck.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going today, Lily? Thinking of you.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
How's it going today, Lily? Thinking of you.
I already love this forum. Thank you so much for asking how today was. The days aren’t hard - it’s when I put my two kids to bed. That’s when it gets tough. As soon as the kid was asleep I’d go chug s glass of wine. So it’s weird adjusting and I don’t know what to do with myself. I just need to create a new routine. I really appreciate you asking
Old 04-07-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I could never imagine my life without it - and in the beginning I felt disoriented. We go through many phases as we heal. It didn't take long to love my new normal, though. You will get there. You're doing great.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
2/2016

Rearrange furniture, declutter the closets etc. Take a bubble bath, read, eat ice cream, just change up your routine. good luck
Old 04-07-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It really does appear that you are going to get a handle on the situation before it gets out of control. So so wise of you. Three glasses of wine per night is definitely not a healthy habit to have, but before you know it you would be counting the bottles per night rather than the glasses. That is a common progression. So courageous and wise for you to do it now. I think one of the first things you will notice is how calm the bedtime routine with the kids becomes and how you will almost immediately start to enjoy that. The kids will pick up on it too. You will be so much more present for them. Glad you are posting here on RS Lilyflower.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Broncosys View Post
It really does appear that you are going to get a handle on the situation before it gets out of control. So so wise of you. Three glasses of wine per night is definitely not a healthy habit to have, but before you know it you would be counting the bottles per night rather than the glasses. That is a common progression. So courageous and wise for you to do it now. I think one of the first things you will notice is how calm the bedtime routine with the kids becomes and how you will almost immediately start to enjoy that. The kids will pick up on it too. You will be so much more present for them. Glad you are posting here on RS Lilyflower.
this is one of my biggest reasons for my guilt right now - it’s only my second night and bedtime routine was so much more lax and calm and my heart aches for the times it wasn’t because I wanted to get drinking already. Kids see and feel and pick up on everything. I know it could’ve been worse - but the little damage that was done hurts. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement I’m so glad to be here