Notices

Another wedding weekend

Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another wedding weekend

The old tropes about it getting better and getting easier really do play out I find. I'm at another long wedding weekend, with events that are focused around drinking. Tonight at the "welcome dinner" which was really just an open bar for a few hours, I had a nice time. Really just focused on having a few nice conversations, staying in the moment. It wasn't that hard at all. And I wasn't even in the slightest envious of the alcohol on people's breaths and the slurring that was developing in their speech before I got the heck out of there.

Having a deep, inner identification as a non-drinker, who's fully recovered and in permanent sobriety is just something that becomes easier and easier to operate in the world with. Feeling good. Thankful.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job, less! There are so many stages of sobriety. When you have gone from passing on strong urges to no longer feeling envious of others drinking, to now starting to identify as a non-drinker, you have really turned a corner. This is real progress.

At some point, you will start to see some of those drinkers in your life start to change. Some folks will become aware they are drinking too much and they will start to take steps to moderate or stop. Others drinking will take them down a progressive destructive path. I’m in my 50’s and see this happen more and more. Some of my friends say they are inspired by me to quit or cut back. Others I’ve distanced myself from because their life is a train wreck due to drinking (affairs, std’s, job problems, etc). I want to be a supportive friend but no longer share the same values and I can’t be around that negative energy. All of these stories validate my decision to stop drinking when I did, and inspire me to continue on this path of health and well being. We are the lucky ones! Of course, there will always be the normies out there, and I respect them too. It’s just not for me.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. I needed this today.

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its sort of like...mass collective delusion, isn't it?

Like zombies. Not to be mean or anything.

I just feel like, how did I not notice the smell, the abrasiveness, the awkwardness of intoxicated people when I was one of them?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Its sort of like...mass collective delusion, isn't it?

Like zombies. Not to be mean or anything.

I just feel like, how did I not notice the smell, the abrasiveness, the awkwardness of intoxicated people when I was one of them?
​​​​​​For various reasons my wife didn't drink last night either. It was obvious to me that she was as ready to leave as I was. Interesting how even for a very responsible drinker like her being around a bunch of people drinking becomes tiresome if she isn't joining in. No thanks.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Got through the wedding and it wasn't really about getting through - had a really fun time, felt in control, hit the dance floor, ate a bunch. Was just another night in the life.