Notices

Struggling Again Day 1

Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling Again Day 1

Hi I'm 32 and Im a married stay at home mother of two children. Ive been drinking on and off now for around 10 years, usually pretty heavily, Ive gotten myself into some messes, broken my leg, had black outs etc. Ive picked myself up, recovered but then made all the same mistakes, I start justifying the drinking to myself, everyone drinks, I will only have one etc, and end up in the same sorry states, making poor choices, making a fool of myself. I am so ashamed and embarrassed.

Husband has supported and stood by me but hes had enough, hes given me so many chances to sort myself out. My elder child has started to notice when I'm 'tired' I dont want that for them anymore. They still think the world of me despite me not being a great role model. They are such great kids too. My appearance is suffering, im bloated and look unhealthy, I am begining to feel physical effects of my drinking, chest pains, and tiredness. sores and blisters.

Right now its day 1 and im suffering withdrawal, Ive got the jitters, Im sweating, Anxiety and shame is through the roof, feel alone, feel like everyone hates me, I dont think I deserve another chance. I am craving more drink to take the anxiety away, but I know I must ride it about. I'm scared I will never get through this. that its too late for my marriage to be good again, that everything is tainted and ruined.

I am here because I do want to get sober and I would appreciate any advice or support you can give.. Thankyou for reading.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marie,

Welcome to SR and congratulations on choosing the path of sobriety! In the earliest days it is most important to practice self care while going through the detox process. Plenty of rest and lots of water.

Have you thought about a plan of action? Maybe joining a fellowship group like AA or going to therapy?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyone here knows exactly how you feel. I am only 3 days sober. Join the April support class. There are a few mothers like yourself who are in the class.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yay! It sucks to feel the way you feel but it's probably good in the long run because it's the motivation you need to make the start. you can totally do this. You have a disease and the only way to deal with it is to treat it by stopping drinking and getting help. but then I'm here on and off for a long time and one thing I've learned is that I can't do this by myself. And I have to take suggestion and do what other people suggest I do. That's extremely hard for me. And I get wrong all day everyday. But I've got maybe seven days today and I'm so ****** grateful.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou. I last had some therapy two years ago, it helped but I stopped going, I convinced myself I was recovered and in control, but I am not.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Marie, I'm one of the moms in the April class, and on day 2. I'm 36 and my kids are 5&3. I know what you mean with the older one taking notice. I work but they see it nights and weekends. Hang in there and hope you can get back into therapy for additional support
Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mar,

I learned here that I had brain damage from drinking too much. I was very physically and mentally addicted.

It hurt like I can't easily explain to get clean and the only way out was to suffer. I worked out because since I was no longer drinking my energy was better, even though my mind told me otherwise.

Mentally there was some serious damage that needed healing or rerouting. I still suffer, but I can feel it getting better by the moment.

Being proudly sober, born again non drinker, is for me. Booze was a learned behavior that I have unlearned.

SR saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankyou all. My children are 8 and 4. I need to make this choice for them. I do feel my brain chemistry is damaged. Sometimes i don't drink for weeks and I feel so much better and clearer in myself I just need to keep it up! One day at a time I guess. I will join the april thread. Thanks again
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou, thats really kind. I think it will help me to talk to people on here, as I am generally too embarrassed to talk to my family.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Marie

You are fabulous for deciding to live the happy, healthy, sober life you deserve. Absolutely keep sharing your successes and struggles here. The people on this forum are supportive, non-judgemental and understand where you are.

You can do this. Love to you x
Old 04-04-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Marie, Welcome, and you've found a great place for support.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Marie, welcome and well done on posting how you feel. I was literally you a month ago...sweating, shaking, vomiting, hating myself and all the while wanting to drink to take the shame I felt about my actions away, but I knew if I did it was over for me, my children would either get taken away from me or I’d die. My kids are 3 and 1 and I’ve struggled with alcoholism since I was young but felt as I held down a job, a car...never been done for drink driving (never caught!) wasn’t a down and out I couldn’t possibly have a drink problem!? I was simply a “normal” 39 year old women who liked a drink!) periods of sobriety have happened but I’ve been miserable! My last drink wasn’t my worse but by god how I felt about myself I will never forget! and gave me the wonderful gift of knowing finally i was an alcoholic! And I feel relieved, I attend A.A and life has improved in 28 short days. I’ve a lifetime to go but a day at a time.

I just want you to know you arent alone, you deserve a sober life as does your family.

sending huge hugs
peace x
Old 04-04-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mariecheese View Post
Thankyou all. My children are 8 and 4. I need to make this choice for them. I do feel my brain chemistry is damaged. Sometimes i don't drink for weeks and I feel so much better and clearer in myself I just need to keep it up! One day at a time I guess. I will join the april thread. Thanks again
Welcome!

I have two kids and when I gave up I made that choice for ME.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Marie

Good to see you posting. My advice would be not to stop trying.

Getting sober does not come easy to some people. I have had a lot of difficulty the lash 12 months and am now am16 days sober.

One day at s time things will get much better for you and your family.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At the age of 30, married, stay at home mom of
2 little ones, I was placed into the hands of those
capable to teach me about addiction and hand
me a gift of a recovery program as a guideline
to incorporate in my everyday life on a continuous
bases moving forward.

That was some 28 yrs of one days sober ago
that I began my journey living a recovery life
incorporating many tools and loads of knowledge
taught to me with willingness, openmindedness
and honesty to achieve health and happiness in
my life.

The most awesome thing about sobriety and
recovery is, you, we, us, never have to go thru
it alone or by ourselves. The fellowship within
recovery is always available to us whether here
in SR or in meetings, counciling, theraphy, is
extremely comforting and helpful.

We are here for you as you begin your own
life in recovery with understanding, care, support
each day you remain sober.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thankyou all for your supportive messages, I'm going to come back and read them when I get the inevitable cravings. I thought i was quite alone. I did think I was normal and coping, because i do tend to be quite functioning, housework done cleaning and cooking and so on but my drinking has become progressive and I was in denial. Lying to myself, you can have one drink. You deserve it etc. Telling my self it would be the last time I would do it but it was never the last time. I really don't want to do it to myself or my family anymore
Old 04-04-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mariecheese View Post
I'm scared I will never get through this. that its too late for my marriage to be good again, that everything is tainted and ruined.
I promise that you will be better able to cope with these feelings by not drinking. All is never lost and you have so much happiness ahead of you.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Marie - I really believe it's never ever too late to turn things around.
SR helped me do that - I know we can help you too

D