Notices

Should I get a Liver checkup?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I get a Liver checkup?

Maybe I am just firghtening myself but I am just getting through my 2nd night without alcohol. I am staying online here as it helps to feel there is some support as I am finding it difficult. I posted elsewhere that I am really finished with booze, Ive thrown away a lot of bottles, and I read the posts here - and I read about liver checkups. I never had one of these. Maybe my liver is damaged in some way ? How would I know ? am I just panicing ? I am not aware of anything - and if I dont drink it will just be okay or mend anyway? right ?
Should I go see a doctor ?
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to a doctor when you are stopping drinking. In general, a simple blood test can give your doctor information about your liver. The liver does have some ability to heal itself, but your doctor could tell you more about that. We can't give medical advice here.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shortly after I quit drinking I went and had a full blood profile done. I checked out and it was a relief. But I felt it was the responsible thing to do in order to see if I had done anything permanent.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good time for a doctor's visit. For a complete check up maybe.
You sound kind of scared about it, and that would hopefully allay your fears.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Confused Guy
panicking about our health when we quit is pretty normal.

It is a good idea to get a checkup from your doctor but try not to imgaine the worst case scenario too much - most of us find that we're ok - or we will be with some self care and continued abstinence.

the body is pretty amazing at healing itself

D
Old 04-03-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yes, it sounds a bit like you're panicking. That's understandable - plenty of people freak out when they get sober and start thinking about the consequences of their drinking.

I'd try not to think about it too much tonight, as you can't do anything about it right now. Maybe write yourself a note to call to make an appointment tomorrow? Then you can settle in and focus on something less stressful. (Not sure that AC/DC fits the bill for relaxing, but maybe that works for you. )
Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely seeing a doctor can let you know where you stand, and the body does an incredible job at self healing.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ask your doctor to do a thorough checkup and specify you are concerned about your liver. I had tests done a while after I sobered up and they were fine, so that put my mind at ease.