Notices

Weekends are the hardest

Old 03-29-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekends are the hardest

I did great this week. 5 days sober and didnt even find it tempting when my husband was having a glass of wine. The hard part for me is the weekend. No work so it's so tempting to have some cocktails. I always find an excuse why I should have a "fun drink". Trying to fill my weekend with positive, fun things so I am not tempted even more. Wish me luck!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you mean and am right there with you. 5 days for me too and it was easy until tonight. I was so tempted to get beer and do my usual getting a good buzz on Friday night. We can do this!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eachdayanewday View Post
I did great this week. 5 days sober and didnt even find it tempting when my husband was having a glass of wine. The hard part for me is the weekend. No work so it's so tempting to have some cocktails. I always find an excuse why I should have a "fun drink". Trying to fill my weekend with positive, fun things so I am not tempted even more. Wish me luck!
I've had to come to terms with the fact that a "fun drink" for me means entering the doorway to another binge. There arent any "fun drinks" for me anymore, just certain hardship.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

For years weekend were like that for me - now they're not. Even the worst foi us can turn things around

Think of things to do and keep occupied.

Post here as much as you need to, if you need help. Post here especially instead of going to buy alcohol or opening a bottle.

Go hour by hour if you need to - but you can do this - and I bet you'll feel awesome waking up on Monday morning sober

D
Old 03-30-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Man I know the feeling.

But y'know its only fun for a fleeting moment.

I was watching all the drunks get on the train home at about 11pm tonight as I finished up a sober date.

They were honestly embarrassing, all ages, young, old, making fools of themselves.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It’s Saturday morning. I woke up at 7 with my cat pawing at my face and meowing in my ear for breakfast. She doesn’t know Saturday from Tuesday, she only knows that the sun is starting to come up (I live on the west side of the time zone) and it’s time for breakfast because during the week I’m up by 6. I love my cat and, not being hung over, or filled with resentment, waking up at 7 on Saturday to feed her makes me happy.

I made coffee and let the dog out, but first I petted and talked to her. 7:15, the sun is rising, promising a beautiful day. I opened the blinds to let the morning light in. The kitchen isn’t as clean as I’d like because we went to a MLB baseball game last night, leftover peanuts in the shell were on the counter from where they’d been dropped last night when we got in. I smiled, remembering clearly how we’d sat in the stands last night cracking peanuts open with our teeth and washing it down with club soda, cheering for the team that didn’t win. I have a fun day planned today, starting now. Coffee, the state park, take the dog for a walk on the bike trail, farmer’s market, tinker around the house.

When I was drinking, I would have been miserable to the cat and the dog, too I’ll for the long walk, or, at least, dreading it, I would have gagged at the sight of the peanuts, the kitchen would have been trashed, I would have smelled the stale booze, and the first sip of coffee always made me gag. Feelings were always either marked by or just full on a combo of anger and shame. State park would be an excuse to drink and the farmers market an excuse to drink early in the day. The blinds would stay shut so I didn’t get a stabbing headache from the morning light.

Weekends are much better sober. Come to think of it, maybe I will go to a yoga class this morning, too. One of the tabs still open on my computer from last night is the schedule for a nearby studio. There’s a hot power yoga class in a few hours I’d been interested in checking out. First class is free.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
I was watching all the drunks get on the train home
I had the same last night, and I thought to myself ‘God they’re talking absolute rubbish, and that used to be me.’
Thank god that’s not me now. Im 35 days sober today. Still get cravings at the weekend. I plan ahead and keep busy, and keep away from situations I know might make me vulnerable. I’ve never felt better and clearer, and calmer. Good luck, and stay strong.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Man I know the feeling.

But y'know its only fun for a fleeting moment.

I was watching all the drunks get on the train home at about 11pm tonight as I finished up a sober date.

They were honestly embarrassing, all ages, young, old, making fools of themselves.
Have the same experience watching the Saturday & Sunday mornings at the diner. Without drinking I get up most days @ 3, workout @ 5 & breakfast @ 6 & it’s a real show with the bleary eyes & slurred speech. And to think that was me. Probably worse. Talk about playing it forward.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

THey are very hard early on. I've come to treat weekends almost like any other day. It makes things easier.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meddles, great job on day 35. This is my second weekend sober and day 13. Congrats to all of you on your first week. I wish you a sober weekend. I was in the same situation last weekend and it has come and passed. I remember last weekend. It was great! I went for hikes, hung out with my daughter, and saved a boatload of money that could have went to my local bar. I rewarded myself on Tuesday by getting something I have been wanting for a while with the money I saved. Just think if you don’t pick up how you will feel next weekend. For me it’s not necessarily hard, just different without a drink. I just think about how many weekends I can’t remeber over the last twenty years and find it a relief that I don’t have to drink on this one.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going eachdayanewday?

D
Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

I just remember that if it were fun...I wouldn't have quit!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel you. Whenever the weekend rolls around I make sure to post more than once on the weekend thread right here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2019-a-4.html (Weekender Thread 29 March - 01 April 2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Since I have not been drinking I have done great exercising! Longer, harder workouts and I feel so much clearer. Even though today would only make a week. I had one small sip of my husbands beer at dinner last night. Old me would have guzzled a bunch of booze before, during and after dinner. I said out loud to my husband and daughter that I can do this. Old me would have made my husband stop at the store on the way home and get more alcohol. I have a 6 pack of odouls (non alcoholic) in my cupboard in case I have the urge. I have gained so much weight over the past 6 months of binging. Now Im trying to get my body, health and life back. I am bummed that I tested my strength by taking that sip but proud that I was able to be strong and say no thanks. A normal Saturday would start early with early morning drinking followed by a nap and more drinking. Yesterday I had my am workout, walked to farmers market, took my daughter prom shopping, had lunch, did more errands, went to a night market/festival and finished up with dinner with my family. I haven't have a sober, productive Saturday like that is so long! It was great. I am up early this Sunday am because my son broke curfew and came home late so I was up waiting for him. Old me would have been drinking while waiting up for him to come home. Instead, I scolded him and sent him to bed and I came on here to post and update. He graduated from high school last year and I feel like I went in to a major depression around them. I was not ready for him to graduate. Its harder because he lives at home with us. He wanted adult freedom and I have a hard time with it. He is a big part of my anxiety and trigger. I am always worried about him making the right decisions. I am going to therapy and hoping it helps me let him grow up and lets me let go. I love the support of this forum. Its life changing to have an outlet that I can go to at any hour. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. I need to keep my mind in a positive place.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Early on,weekends and especially warmer weather was a trigger. It does pass. I dont want to be a killjoy but if you want to stay sober, sips of anything alcoholic are prohibited. The sooner you accept it, the better. Never again is one of the things that I found to be the hardest. Unfortunately for any alcoholic it's just the sacrifice that's needed. Keep up the good work!!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

Any chance your husband could stop drinking at home in front of you?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The weekends are definitely the hardest. This is my second weekend sober. It’s crazy to imagine that I was already drunk by this time. What a waste of money and time. I could of hung out with one of my friends today, but I haven’t shared with anybody I’m not drinking. I too would have taken a sip from her drink, which would have turned into me getting drinks on the way home...nobody would know. I have felt that if I made it this long any alcohol isn’t worth my sober reality.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

what was the rationale behind you testing your strength tho?
that you could stop at one sip?

D