Notices

Some days in early sobriety stink but...

Old 03-29-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some days in early sobriety stink but...

Its better than the alternative - jail, hungover, detox, guilt, shame, dead, etc.
I wanted to post as encouragement to others who might be struggling as well as for myself. I have no logical reason to be down but sometimes it doesn't make sense and maybe it doesn't have to. It just is.
But those feelings will pass and I unlike in my my past when I numbed them with alcohol, I will just keep moving ahead knowing they are just feelings that are (maybe) normal and most certainly temporary. Everyday isn't going to be great, otherwise there wouldn't be great days.
I hope everyone has a good Friday and a good weekend - one day at a time.
Peace.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you, Fintime. I really liked your post. Today is day 5 for me and after work last night i was really depressed and tired. Im trying to be grateful, which i am some of the time...other times i forget to be grateful. I still have my job, but everyone now knows that i have drinking problem. In a way, im relieved...but im also sad. Ive been going to an AA meeting on my lunch break everyday since Monday and that does help. I am being required to do iop but ny assessment isnt scheduled until april 5th. I find nyself worrying about the cost and the time as a single mom. I tell myself this is a blessing tho...because i have been unable to quit on ny own. Anyway, thanks for the post...have a good day!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel ya. I've taken to sometimes saying to myself - it's not always easy, it's not always fun. Just as a way of recognizing that there is difficulty in the early stages. It's more than worth it, honestly it's the greatest gift I've ever given myself and the people in my life. But the fact is there are some days when it's not easy and it's not fun. Truth is though that the best things in life, if you ask me, take work and effort and some sacrifice. Sobriety is worth it in every single way, so it's not always easy and not always fun. Keep it moving. Thank you for the post.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes, sometimes it stinks. Those early days are really tough for most people. They sure were for me. Even after over 4 years sober, it still stinks sometimes. That's just life, though. A useful phrase for me has always been "this, too, shall pass." When I find myself wallowing and feeling sorry for myself, I just remember how bad things used to be when I was drinking, and a wave of gratitude that I'm alive, have a job, a home to live in, and supportive friends and family washes over me. The rest of life's challenges can be dealt with, as long as I have these things, and my sobriety.

If you are out there reading this and struggling through your early days, know this: IT GETS BETTER.