Notices

Sober Celebrities!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Celebrities!

I have a very recent new addiction, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (the new one!) and I just found out that Tan and Antoni are both sober and that Antoni is in recovery!

I'm sorry for the silly thread but it made me so happy that I started looking up other sober celebrities, and, wow, there are SO MANY!

It is so inspirational to read their stories, maybe we can share some of them on this thread!

Most recent I read about was Ben Affleck entering rehab and sharing his story, and telling the world that he wants to begin advocating addiction recovery.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kenny Chesney has a song “That’s Why I’m Here” that I listen to every day.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Trump

Before starting and letting go of the biscuit in order to get my hand out of the cookie jar.....I typed sober or teetotal celebrities into youtube and I was inspired by The Trump of all people!

His mantra stuck in my head "no drugs, no alcohol, no cigarettes"

Also the common sense truth "once you get hooked on the drugs or alcohol, your life is very hard".

"if you don't ever take it, you'll never get hooked"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be5nuv-1Ds8
Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Duff McKagan from Guns N' Roses is 24+ years sober from drugs and alcohol....I have both of his books ~ I love this passage about the conversation he had with his daughter (both of his girls are grown now)

When my daughter Grace was in the third grade, she came up to me one day and said, "Dad, how come you don't drink wine when all of the other grown-ups do?".....

"Well, honey, that is a very good question and I am glad you asked. You see, I have an allergic reaction to that stuff. If I were to have just one glass, I would then have to have another. Two glasses would turn into four, and my allergy would make me want to drink all of the stuff that we have in the house. I would then have to go to the grocery store to buy everything that they had there, and I would drink all of that. I would probably start to get really crazy, and I wouldn't be like your dad for a while...."

"Oh," she said. "You'd better not have a glass of wine, then!"
Old 03-29-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's also interesting to me that a main reason Pres Trump is sober is because his brother died early of alcoholism.

Sometimes I do enjoy the stories from alcoholics and there are a lot of famous folks who share - Bradley Cooper, for instance. Dax Shepard has a great podcast and he and Kristen Bell have been very public about their marriage and her support for him.

One thing that I always keep in mind? They are like many alcoholics at the bottom line- many relapse, and many try moderation. Most notably, Kelsey Grammar with his repeated conviction (cycling thru periods of years sober) that he can drink again. Dave Ferrety (sp? former pro golfer and now talk show host) - recently shared about his relapse after 10 yr sober, primarily over the death of his son.

It is inspiring to read any stories of people who "get it" - famous or not- and, a great reminder when anyone relapses that no length of time, station in life, etc guarantees sobriety.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Early on I read about every celebrity I could and their recovery. I’m not a big pop culture guy by any means but I found it almost inspirational how they could quit. Unlimited money, constant temptation,etc.. I guess it goes to show that no amount of fame or fortune excludes you from the grasp of booze. Then there are the stories that don’t end well which can be motivational as well.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is a long list:

Eminem
Robert Downey Jr
Rob Lowe
Daniel Radcliffe
Kristin Davis
Keith Urban
Jada Pinkett Smith
Russell Brand
Meredith Baxter
Colin Farrell
Tim McGraw
John Goodman
Elton John
Eva Mendes
Belinda Carlisle
Michael J Fox
MacKenzie Phillips
Abby Wambach
Mary Tyler Moore
Elizabeth Vargas
Carnie Wilson
George Bush
Natalie Portman
James Franco
Stephen King
John Travolta
Kelly Preston
Al Pacino
Melanie Griffith
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Randy Blythe of metal band Lamb of God has a fascinating story - as seen in the documentary 'As the Palaces Burn' - including staying sober while facing up to unfair (and non-booze related) manslaughter charges in a foreign country, in his first year of recovery.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Steve O of Jackass fame recently celebrated 11 years clean and sober. If Steve O can do it I will never believe any addict is beyond hope or doomed. That dude was on the express lane to an early grave.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

George W Bush has a great story that I can relate to. He was living the dream life, but drank too much. On his 40th birthday, he woke up from a massive hangover, went for a run, and decided he would never drink again. He made this decision because he wanted to be a "better man" and a "better husband". I have so much respect for that guy.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Never heard that story, WhoDeyPI, that's a great one. This is a wonderful thread, everybody!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love that you started this thread, Niclin. Why do celebrities inspire us so much? It doesn’t matter. They just do, so it’s great that many are using their status I had a huge crush on Rob Lowe in my teen years. He is just a couple years older than me. He has 28 years sobriety last time I checked, and is still as gorgeous as ever! Things didn’t turn out so well for David Cassidy who drank himself to death

I also love Jamie Lee Curtis. Her main problem was prescription meds, but she had a drinking problem too. She still inspires me.

Interesting to see the outcomes of celebrities who stay sober vs those who don’t. Look at what happened to Whitney Houston, Philip Seymour Hoffman

Thank you to the person who shared that about Trump. I didn’t know that. Like the YouTube video.

We should all look for these stories to inspire us.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
George W Bush has a great story that I can relate to. He was living the dream life, but drank too much. On his 40th birthday, he woke up from a massive hangover, went for a run, and decided he would never drink again. He made this decision because he wanted to be a "better man" and a "better husband". I have so much respect for that guy.
Thank you Whodey. Didn’t know that about George W
Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ozzy
stephen tyler
flea
anthony kiedis
james hetfield
alice cooper
clapton
neil young
Old 03-29-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Joe Walsh
Old 03-30-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Re Phillip Seymour Hoffman...I heard the other day that his wife had only known him in sobriety. They were separated when he began drinking again, and started his ultimate death spiral. It seems he would take care of the kids, get them off to school etc, sometimes have lunch with his daughter at a fave local place....then when he was alone at night be back at the same place in his cups, mostly keeping to himself. So talented and troubled.

Interestingly, if you haven't seen the movie "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot" (Joaquin Phoenix stars as the main character who has a life changing event at the opening of the movie, Jack Black has a small role). PSH plays the unconventional AA sponsor whose higher power is named "Chuckie." Def a recovery movie worth checking out on Amazon or wherever you find it.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Love that you started this thread, Niclin. Why do celebrities inspire us so much? It doesn’t matter.
I think we choose to select a few to look up to, with how they live their lives. They also are stars, and seem so disconnected from us, so when we find that common thread, it is empowering and inspiring to be like, WOW I am dealing with that same thing! We are more alike!

I have recently been seeing Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard a lot, and how they have set relationship goals in and out of recovery. I'll make sure to read more on them.

And of course there are the really sad stories of those who didn't make it, but their spirit remains and the motivation is definitely there.

This is so great, I'll keep posting as I hear about more.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
There is a long list:

Eminem
Robert Downey Jr
Rob Lowe
Daniel Radcliffe
Kristin Davis
Keith Urban
Jada Pinkett Smith
Russell Brand
Meredith Baxter
Colin Farrell
Tim McGraw
John Goodman
Elton John
Eva Mendes
Belinda Carlisle
Michael J Fox
MacKenzie Phillips
Abby Wambach
Mary Tyler Moore
Elizabeth Vargas
Carnie Wilson
George Bush
Natalie Portman
James Franco
Stephen King
John Travolta
Kelly Preston
Al Pacino
Melanie Griffith

Wow, Natalie Portman always was a role model for me. So classy and elegant, I wonder what her story is?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=August252015;7153673 Dax Shepard has a great podcast and he and Kristen Bell have been very public about their marriage and her support for him.[/QUOTE]

What is the name of his podcast?
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^^^Armchair Expert