Notices

Day 7 or is it??0

Old 03-27-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 or is it??0

The most difficult day yet for me. Concentration poor feeling stressed. Mid week has always been a drinking time for me.

Went for lunch in work found myself walking down the beer aisle and ended up buying 15 bottles of alcohol free becks blue beer.

Colleagues seem to be goading me me saying things like ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO STOP DRINKING? I HOPE YOUR NIT GOING TO GI OFF ON A BENDER!

The first question I said well maybe I will have a drink on holiday. Oh I need to stay sober at least a couple of months (yesterday it was a cast iron 12 months!)

Got home had a couple of the alcohol free beers and discovered a change in my brain similar to the real thing which led me to believe there was alcohol in the product. The label said no more than 0.05 alcohol?

Can I still claim to be alcohol free? I have 9 bottles left What shall I do drink them or throw them away.

i have been emotionally unstable nearly my whole life. Frustrated and silly moods seem when I am most at risk!

Advise please.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's probably the placebo effect but I still think you can claim to be alcohol free.

Opinions are mixed on non alcoholic beer. Many people say to avoid as it can be a gateway to the real thing although for some it's helpful as a substitute. Personally I never drank because I liked the taste of any type of alcohol - I drank to get drunk so I would rather have a tonic water or a nice soda. Although I still drink my soda out a gin/wine glass so there's still that element to it...
Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 7 days! I personally don't see it as breaking your sobriety by having non alcohol substitutes. Having said that, if they are in any way making you crave the real thing then pour them away in my opinion. Hope you're okay
Old 03-27-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't drink NA beer largely because of that unsettling effect you mention.

Opinions will vary on whether you drank or not, whether you need to reset souts or not.

I say listen to your gut - you're the one who has to live with your decision, whatever it is.

Count or not, I think it's even more important you look at your commitment to total permanent abstinence - if you feel it's wavering, even slightly - what are you going to do about it? Be proactive

D
Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Personally I am not against NA beer as long as it doesn't mimic our alcoholic behaviors. I was not much of a beer drinker but certain times I just want a beer. Usually after a hard days work in the yard. A NA beer in a cold glass was enjoyable. But that was it. I don't crave the booze and one would do it. In fact, I don't buy it at all through the winter because it's just those specific times I enjoy it. It does not mimic my alcohol behavior in the least.

That being said, buying 15 NA beers is troubling. Pounding NA beers at the same rate as normal beers is not changing our behavior and it won't be long that it will not be a good enough substitute for the real thing.

Try going for a brisk walk after work to fight off stress. Change the patterns that kept you drinking in the past.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try sparkling water or soda instead.

I think its best to break the association.

Unlikely that it's more than the placebo affect and I wouldn't reset your days.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Stable, my 2 cents worth is that you can still consider yourself sober. I have been having N/A beer occasionally for quite some time, but I’m conscious to avoid resemblance with my previous disastrous drinking behavior, so if I do I never have more than one.

I think this is exactly what Finalround is saying as well.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What Dee said especially - and the most important part is what your commitment is to sobriety. I'm of the school that NA drinks aren't a good idea for plenty of us - especially at the very start.

How about committing to a recovery program, AA, or using SR or any of the other methods folks here can tell you about? And it needs to be for you - it can be hard, but tuning out - ideally, not being around, even- anyone who questions/challenges/"teases" you and such is a bad idea.

Hope you choose sobriety and stay here with us. The Class of Mar 2019 thread under Newcomers is a great one to get into as it has others starting their journey to recovery this month.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
The most difficult day yet for me. Concentration poor feeling stressed. Mid week has always been a drinking time for me.

Went for lunch in work found myself walking down the beer aisle and ended up buying 15 bottles of alcohol free becks blue beer.

Colleagues seem to be goading me me saying things like ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO STOP DRINKING? I HOPE YOUR NIT GOING TO GI OFF ON A BENDER!

The first question I said well maybe I will have a drink on holiday. Oh I need to stay sober at least a couple of months (yesterday it was a cast iron 12 months!)

Got home had a couple of the alcohol free beers and discovered a change in my brain similar to the real thing which led me to believe there was alcohol in the product. The label said no more than 0.05 alcohol?

Can I still claim to be alcohol free? I have 9 bottles left What shall I do drink them or throw them away.

i have been emotionally unstable nearly my whole life. Frustrated and silly moods seem when I am most at risk!

Advise please.

The brewer of the drink can't claim it to be 0.00% alcohol free as the brewing process means that there is the potential of a very small amount of alcohol being left (the alcohol is removed as part of the brewing process) but I believe that Becks Blue is really alcohol free. I've only ever drank Becks Blue once and I too felt like there was alcohol in it (I remember feeling a little flushed and slightly dizzy) but it was probably the effect of whatever chemical it is the brewer uses to remove the alcohol. I have read about people who have drank NA lagers / beers and who have woken up the next day with what feels like a hangover. Again, it's probably those chemicals causing the problem.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post

That being said, buying 15 NA beers is troubling. Pounding NA beers at the same rate as normal beers is not changing our behavior
^^^^This
Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I bought two six packs of NA beer from a microbrewery. It's really good beer, one stout and one golden ale. It's also .5%, so each one is about a tenth of an American light beer. I drink 1 or 2 max when I'm eating Asian food, but find that I don't even really want it then anymore. A pregnant friend who's a total beer lover had NA beer and I drank half of one while hanging out. I didn't like it, I kept thinking I needed to stop because I had to drive.

I also wouldn't have done so in early sobriety.

If you drank 6 of them in one sitting you're approaching a full beer. I'm drinking my very occasional beer for flavor with food, I'm not pounding them. To me that's a huge red flag.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
If you drank 6 of them in one sitting you're approaching a full beer.
I don't think this is true because surely the minuscule amount of alcohol (even in 0.5% ABV beers) contained in the first few would have long since been processed by the liver by the sixth? Still, a bad habit that could lead to the real thing.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I sometimes use wine when cooking some gravies and pasta sauces. I'm not going to reset my sobriety clock each time I make bolognese.

I would however, completely avoid doing this if it in any way triggered a desire to drink alcohol. I wouldn't advise buying NA beer if the intention was to simulate drinking, as eventually you will want the real thing.

Is your plan long term sobriety or is this a temporary thing for a couple of months?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I buy 15 bottles of sparkling water but don't drink them all in one night.

As others have said it's replicating alcoholic behaviours.

I'd also reconsider telling everyone around me what is private business, It's your business you've stopped drinking. You don't need to announce it to the world or ask for their validation and approval or give people the opportunity to criticize etc.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't consider it a setback! I occasionally drink N/A Beer(Clausthaler). I just passed the 11th month milestone. All the best, and Congrats!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How is today Stable?
Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I buy 15 bottles of sparkling water but don't drink them all in one night. c.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's been quite some time, but over the years I used to drink a N/A beer when I was actively drinking, usually on a hot day because I enjoyed the beer flavor. Despite the .05% alcohol content, I always felt the effect of the alcohol, even though it was much lower than regular beer. Yes, it was subtle, but I definitely felt it.

I would not touch N/A beer in the early stages of recovery, just my opinion. Too much of a trigger.