Notices

Pins/needles/burning/numbness

Old 03-26-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pins/needles/burning/numbness

Hi, my first post!
i have been drinking heavily for 12years (I’m 30). I’ve cut down over the last 12months to 3/4 bottles of wine a week.
about a week ago I noticed I had burning sensation in my foot the day after drinking.
i haven’t drank since and it has scared me to finally quit. After a week I thought these sensations would go, when they have in fact got worse. I have pins/needles and burning sensation in both feet and travelling up to my knee. Also in my hands but not as bad. I have also had a pretty much constant headache. Is this normal and will my symptoms get worse or start to improve? And why would they Come on so suddenly?
I have had the occasional time I haven’t drank for a week or two but never ever felt like this. I’ve also been taking vitamin b complex for four days.
Feeling a little worried 😥
Old 03-26-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the forum! A week sober is great--keep it up!

It sounds to me as if you should see a doctor, and I would recommend that you avoid getting medical advice over the internet. Everyone is different, and what is perfectly normal for one person may be fatal to another.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. If you want to quit and stay quit, we can help.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on a week sober

Definitely see your doctor.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Just another reason not to ever want to drink again. Alcohol can cause nerve damage especially in the hands and feet. Glad you are here for support. Things get alot better each day your body is alcohol free. Give your body the chance to heal. Eat right and try not to stress it out. It takes time for our body and brain to get back to "normal".
Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had similar problems and had to see a neurologist. I was recommended to stop drinking. Please see your doctor.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have read a lot about alcohol affecting nerves etc but where ever I read it says it comes on gradually. Mine came on so suddenly.
In myself I feel better then I did 3 days ago. It’s is only the pins and needles/burning and headache that is causing me concern now. I have made an appointment with my doctor but as it’s not classed as urgent I have nearly a three week wait. I just thought these sensations would be decreasing not increasing 😓
Old 03-26-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Full stop, talk through recovery with your doctor. It's very important.

I will say, numbness and tingling was a huge part of my withdrawals, and the extreme health anxiety associated with those (and many other) symptoms often would send me straight back to the bottle to relieve the overwhelming fear.

The good news here is that your doctor will be able to help you with these withdrawal symptoms, and you'll have more clarity and peace of mind in the short and long term.

Stay on the forum and keep us updated!!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The rules prevent us from giving medical advice, which is only fair, since we can't diagnose you over the net. I'd suggest you ask your doctor about these symptoms. I hope you use the support here to help you stay sober.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had similar experiences lately. That is also what scared me to stop drinking immediately. Follow up with your doctor for sure. Have you had your blood work done lately. I had the same issues in my hands and feet, both numbness and tingly. It came on pretty suddenly too. I saw my doc and my results came back ok. Kidney and liver functions great. I also have diabetes and am diet controlled so I thought maybe it was that. My a1c was also good. I don't take traditional meds I am just diet controlled but found vitamins and supplements are great. I love celery juice too. It is supposed to have great natural healing elements. It's so scary to feel so much when you aren't drinking because we feel nothing when we are drinking. You could go to urgent care or some kind of clinic? I know you will have a copay but that might eliminate the wait. Good luck to you!
Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rosie - welcome

could be something, might be nothing - best to be safe and check with your Doctor

D
Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Rosie! You found a great place for encouragement. I'm glad you decided to take action.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Rosie,

Company line is see a Dr.

If he gives you meds and you drink while on the meds the hell on earth will grow.

I had to completely stop drinking and my healing began.

I feel that the death curve near the end increases drastically.

Climbing out of the hole is hard and for many... impossible.

I am still healing.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Still having burning/ pins and needles in my feet, legs up to my knees and a little in my hands and arms. Not sure if I’m getting used to the feeling or it’s not quite as bad as it was Tuesday/Wednesday morning. I feel well in myself apart from this and a mild headache.

Managed to get an appointment tomorrow with the doctor (made out it was worse then it is!) . Will see what they say. I assume will just send for blood tests and I’ll have to wait for results.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie888 View Post
Still having burning/ pins and needles in my feet, legs up to my knees and a little in my hands and arms. Not sure if I’m getting used to the feeling or it’s not quite as bad as it was Tuesday/Wednesday morning. I feel well in myself apart from this and a mild headache.

Managed to get an appointment tomorrow with the doctor (made out it was worse then it is!) . Will see what they say. I assume will just send for blood tests and I’ll have to wait for results.
always good to know what's what... I had similar feelings at the end of my drinking and started to question if it was diabetes or something,it wasn't, but it keep me awake at night worrying. Mine ended up being "restless leg syndrome" or something, but it's cleared up now after 2yrs or so.