Notices

Choosing To Feel

Old 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choosing To Feel

I watched a t.v. show today that put the moral dilemma out there: are feelings good?

Basically it was a dystopian scenario where half of humanity chose to erase their emotions, and the others chose to keep them.

All day I was feeling crappy but in the evening I had this burst of joy.

I thought wow, do I ever feel this way on a hungover Sunday? No. Not the joy certainly, nor depressed in that way.

Do I ever feel that way drunk? No, I don't really have any real feelings when drunk.

Drinking is like choosing the path with no feelings. Its soma in brave new world, its living in the matrix. For me, drinking is "opting out". And as someone who struggles with depression its often been very helpful to opt out of my pain.

But I don't want to live that way.

So another sober night. Ill enjoy the highs and lows it brings, and try my best to live in the present, fully feel those things that I always hide from.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feelings used to terridy ,me - but I'll take the feelinges these days - even the bad ones - over not feeling then at all

Glad you got some joy this weekend Kinzoku

D
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It hurt a bit, getting used to having feelings again, but I grew and got better from it. If I had to choose between pain and nothing, I would always choose pain.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
I watched a t.v. show today that put the moral dilemma out there: are feelings good?

Basically it was a dystopian scenario where half of humanity chose to erase their emotions, and the others chose to keep them.

All day I was feeling crappy but in the evening I had this burst of joy.

I thought wow, do I ever feel this way on a hungover Sunday? No. Not the joy certainly, nor depressed in that way.

Do I ever feel that way drunk? No, I don't really have any real feelings when drunk.

Drinking is like choosing the path with no feelings. Its soma in brave new world, its living in the matrix. For me, drinking is "opting out". And as someone who struggles with depression its often been very helpful to opt out of my pain.

But I don't want to live that way.

So another sober night. Ill enjoy the highs and lows it brings, and try my best to live in the present, fully feel those things that I always hide from.
Brilliant post kinzoku. Great insight.

I much prefer to feel. There can be no peaks without a valley to start from. And I mostly enjoy the climb.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kin - Great insight.

I suffer from anxiety and depression. I found that once I started regularly feeling my feelings, that I began learning how to handle my challenges. I have to put in the work now that I don’t opt out. It’s rewarding though. I say keep choosing to feel!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I drink I drink to numb out. That works for a bit. But as I drink more, which is what I do, the booze amplifies everything in a totally artificial, completely unnatural way. So I'm feeling so to speak, but not from my heart. I'm feeling poisonous and toxic. Crazy.

Real, sober, feelings from the heart? They are real, and foreign and they aren't replaced by a horrid hangover or detox. They are replaced by growth and understanding...and that can take time.