Notices

Diazepam schedule for withdrawing off alcohol

Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Diazepam schedule for withdrawing off alcohol

Hi guys,

So, I think I need to stop drinking. IT's been a wrestle for years and I'm seeing some serious psychological harm thats happening with me and my loved ones/friends even just random strangers. I think its time to see what life can be like without alcohol. I'm terrified!!! It's been about 5 years of heavy use, sometimes going back to just 2 drinks a day, for months, but ultimately the spikes happen again and I get to up to 10 drinks a day.

So I have a valium supply and want to taper off alcohol. My last drink was...probably around 12 hours ago. I don't normally drink during the day, I start drinking around 4 pm each evening. How soon after my last drink do I start the tapering? I have a schedule, I just dont want to take any before I really need to. Any ideas? Sorry if this is in the wrong place this question. And maybe its better if other people just tell me how it was for them, rather than directly advising me (I'm sure theres a rule or something for that).

Many thanks
Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience so far has been Im fine while on benzos (fine as in no urge to drink), but the minute the benzos are gone, I cant cope and invariably end up drinking.

I came of alcohol using benzos and did great while on them for 5 months.

When the script ran out, all the old stuff came up and I ran into trouble emotionally and decided I needed "relief".

Not saying this will be the case for you, just a cautionary tale
Old 03-23-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, we can't give you medical advice here.

You're asking for expedience sure, but you're also asking stuff like how soon after my last drink do I start the tapering?

We can't do that

Not sure where the schedule came from or if you've you seen a Dr recently about this but your best option IMO is not to go for the do it yourself route.

If you think you need help withdrawing, please be safe and see a Dr.

D
Old 03-23-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I've seen lots of schedules. Basically the last time I went to a doctor to get a tapering schedule, she treated me like a leper. Really condescending, a continuous shocked look on her face. Horrible experience. Thanks for your reply tho xo

Maybe I'll rephrase it, what has been others experience tapering off alcohol using diazepam. What pitfalls, things they wished theyd known etc...

anyway cheers again
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dandelion - that IS helpful. I need to change my whole life I think, address the things that are causing me to want to drink ..easier said than done of course. But thanks for that reminder. If there's anything you tried that has helped let me know (I mean like healthy things )
Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In my experience, when my doctor put me on benzos to detox from alcohol safely, I was only given enough for a few days to get me thru the acute w/d. Any longer than that and I'd risk getting addicted to the benzos.

My doctor said it was just to get me thru the worst stage of withdrawal, when the anxiety is the worst and the risk of seizure is present. I stopped drinking before starting the benzos.

He also told me under no circumstances was I to drink when on the benzos.

Just taking them for the initial phase of w/d was enough for me. Without the w/d anxiety, I had no desire to drink. After that, I used a program to stay sober. I went to counseling weekly and came here to SR every day to post and read. I no longer see the counselor but still come here every day.