Notices

First time

Old 03-21-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time

Hi sb members. Could use some direction. 45 days sober. 55 years old. Heavy alcohol use in younger years, as I got older became binge drinking when stressers which came down to either financial problems with work or crazy ex. Can’t believe I got through 5 court battles and kids are now off to college and pretty much in very good shape. A lot of personal sacrifices. In a financially bad situation right now. Living with girlfriend and kids and somewhat strenuous with my financial situation. Have 2nd job but burdened by courts order to pay significant college expenses. Very successful prior to divorce before ex worked the courts. Never needed much anyways. 45 days sober and having little difficulty with it. Go out socially no problem without drinking etc. workout everyday but smoke quite a bit. Reality setting in as I’m starting to question whether I am having a drinking problem or work problem. Self employed for 25 years and have ridden some major ups and downs. My brain feels better and I think I feel at my age the novelty of drinking has faded. Went through same phase with marijuana and in late 20’s just stopped because it grew old. Feel same way with alcohol. I will say this alcohol gave me a false sense of reality making things seem not as bad for a brief moment. It’s settling in and I’m somewhat ok with it, but looking back have a little ptsd from family court. Anyways thanks for letting me vent and try to make sense of things. Any comments or insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Praying1234 View Post
Reality setting in as I’m starting to question whether I am having a drinking problem or work problem.
Welcome to SR, and thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear you are having a rough go of things as of late, life definitely has it's ups and downs. Regarding your question above - which to me is the most important part of your post - it's entirely possible to have both problems. And even though you aren't drinking now ( congrats on your sobriety by the way! ) , that doesn't mean the problem is gone. Addiction has a very clever way of making you think it's "all better" after you've been clean for a while...but it's lying to you. And there's no problem that won't get worse once you start drinking again.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, glad you decided to join us.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Praying!

I had to do more than just stop drinking--I had to work on the reasons I drank, and six sober years later I am still working on things. I use the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and go to about three meetings a week, and I have recently started working with a therapist.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Praying. I'm glad you wanted to talk things over. I really can't add anything to what the others have said. I hope you'll keep reading & posting.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Praying!
You've been through a lot and handled it well. You've also figured out alcohol gave you a false sense of reality.
That's a huge accomplishment! You don't need alcohol just as you didn't need pot.
Stay on the sober path....it will make any problems much easier to handle.
Congratulations on 45 days!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,
I saw this post and I definitely can relate. I have used drinking as a way to cope with stress for what is like eons now. ..I actually went back to it after I had my baby who is now 5 mos old to deal with post pardum depression that hit me pretty hard. I have a history of anxiety/depression. It quickly got out of control and turned into straight binging like one of two days a week. Now my husband has health issues , he is 54 and I am 34. He drank a lot also..so now I am back to trying to be sober after the other day when I got drunk and messaged and called ex's and all that crap that always comes up...good luck with all
Old 03-21-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you for the responses. very helpful in thinking this through.

weird thing is, i would go out, have a couple beers and everything would somehow workout. did that for 14 years.

but maybe thats not the case anymore as i look back, it was pretty challenging, and not quite as rosy and "ok" as it appeared under the guise of alcohol.

but right now, other things have come crashing down, outside of the alcohol. maybe its a way of saying, no matter what the situation, alcohol certainly doesn't help.

i think its become more obvious sober, that i put everyone else first, instead of me and with that came the frustration as things spiraled.

looking back, i tried not to see it, but i got played by both my ex and kids. thats a tough pill to swallow. maybe i just didnt want to believe it and alcohol was my way of burying it....
Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

just wanted to add....my drinking during the prior year had hit a pretty bad point, had a hospitalization in the summer of 2017 after being threatened with jail in family court. drinking to just get through the day including mornings. just know no matter how bad things get, i can handle it now without alcohol...i hope and pray
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome praying

I definitely think support helps, and you'll find lot of that here - you're among friends

D