Notices

I’m worried

Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’m worried

I’m very worried about my partner of the last 2 years. We met at a coffee shop/bar in my neighborhood, where he worked. We spent a lot of time together as friends for 6 months. Everybody who worked there drank. I switched to water for medical reasons and it was no big deal for me or (seemingly) for the people i knew at the bar. Eventually, we started dating after he confessed his feelings for me. After our first date or so, he went radio silent without explanation—then he expressed to me that he’d been struggling with a serious alcohol problem and been trying to quit for a long time. Since before I met him, he’d been drinking throughout the day, alone and with others, to wake up and to fall asleep, and smoked weed constantly. I had no judgment to offer, only support and whatever relief i could offer for the shame he was feeling. He quit drinking that September, quit smoking weed later that fall. Everything between us was truly amazing—about as good as anyone could ask for—for nearly a year. We were clean at the bar, in good spirits, and very much in love. He even quit smoking that summer.
Things changed overnight when he quit his job at the bar. It seemed on impulse—he’d just quit smoking too and had nothing else lined up yet. He’d been complaining about the boss, etc. but the real reason (he only admitted me this months later) was because he felt uncomfortable in the environment—for obvious reasons. I supported his decision and helped him make a path to having a job and eventually the career he really wanted.
He broke up with me the day he quit that job. I was devastated. We reconciled later the following day.
That began a cycle of bliss followed by seemingly out of nowhere breakups (plus radio silence) once a month, every month, since. He just broke up with me again. We’d been living together. He moved out the moment he decided. This happened once a month every month since August.
I’m supposed to smoke weed for my condition, but i don’t. At one point, almost a year since he stopped smoking, he suggested I smoke for myself and wanted to smoke with me. We did, despite my questioning it. The next day and every day after for the week, he wanted to every day. When I had the hard talk and expressed my concern- and said no I wouldn’t smoke- he got mad at me. Eventually, though, he realized it was right to be concerned for his sobriety and wellness. His family used to pressure him to drink and smoke. He’d cave on smoking but eventually stopped. I encouraged him to be clear about his needs, to tell them if he felt comfortable, told him I was with him in it always. But I’m feeling like that was all perceived as meddling, deep down.
As far as I know, he hasn’t been drinking. He also never wanted to admit the problem or its severity. He only went to two AA meetings. I started to feel (and be encouraged to feel) guilty for guiding him too much—such as suggesting he go to meetings or find a counselor so he could speak freely and safely. Unfortunately he was trying to do this without any outside help, and clearly struggling. We had a very loving relationship. The breakups were awful and grew more awful each time—always in response to moments of stress on my part or a big (positive) event coming up. He would always simply leave.
We got extremely close over our time together and each time this stuff happened he’d reveal he was still struggling internally, hadn’t processed big traumas like his father’s sudden passing when he was a child, etc. He was also incredibly anxious all the time and would rarely communicate that with me. My attempts to encourage him in a safe way or to offer solutions, when he told me he was struggling with huge specifics, were met with resentment. But I supported his process because who am I to judge. We both knew we loved each other and he was otherwise extremely good to me, considerate of my health and needs, etc.
He’s not communicating this time. In fact, in the past I’ve always had to initiate communication because he’s felt like a failure and didn’t know what to say or expect I’d take him back. I did every time, because I don’t judge addiction. Everyone has some kind of issue in life.
Very recently he said I’d been making him do everything (including spending time with me.) His insults included yelling and cutting remarks. I’m sad to say I got so upset at one point that I said some regrettable things too. The reasons he provided for breaking up were money, conflicting desires, spending time, not wanting to build a life with me (we’d been living together and were looking for a new apartment), not wanting to go to our friend’s weddings together (even though we had planned to, and I found a way to pay for one or the trips), that he will always disappoint me.
He walked out saying he would have to come back because he left to pairs of shoes. He hasn’t said anything and still has my key. I’m worried he’s having a breakdown and I don’t know what my best move is. I know I can’t “save” him or “fix” another person or tell anyone what to do. He’s gone to stay with a friend who has even more major drug and alcohol problems.
My partner’s behavior has been extremely impulsive and inconsistent in bursts. Every month he’ll have a freak out and say/do the opposite of everything he’s expressed wanting and acted to build. I am very sad about this loss because I really do love him and life has otherwise been beautiful—I went to his brother’s wedding, he got to know my whole family, we shared nice weekend rituals and cooked food and laughed, he was with me through a major health crisis of my own.
Does this guy just not love me or is he in trouble right now? I’m at a loss. Thanks if you’ve read all of this.

Last edited by jh12; 03-18-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Jh12, sorry for what brings you here. Unfortunately, as you state yourself, there's really not much you can do to "save" or "fix" an active addict. And also, even more unfortunately, his addiction is more important to him than you are right now - a sad but real truth. That's not a statement about you in particular, just about addiction in general. I would recommend seeking help for yourself during this difficult time - we do also have a forum for friends and family of alcoholic here if you'd like to check it out - although you are always welcome here too.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott is absolutely right. It's best if you listen to your boyfriend now because he's telling you things are over. I do hope he gets treatment for his addiction. You might also think about AlAnon in your city as a support for you.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry you're going through this, as it sounds like you've been a supportive partner who is understanding when it comes to addiction. However, unfortunately you can't save him or even impact his using, that has to come from him. For yourself, as difficult as it is, it sounds like detaching from him is in your best interest, and probably his too. Take good care.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for your replies. They are helpful and I really appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for what you are going through.

You don't say how old you are but I imagine you are quite young in your 20s. I once read one here something i wish I had read in my 20s.

When someone shows you who they really are, believe them.

I have been where you are. So many times I wanted to believe what I wanted to believe, focusing on the best of times, wanting to have that all the time. I now realise it doesn't matter how good the good times are. The inconsistency, the ups and downs of life with an addict are no good for my mental health. It's like a drug in itself, addicted to the cycle, wanting it to be good all the time, believing what he says in the good times, thinking that outweighs the bad.

I realise now in my older years that it doesn't. It's destructive, addictive and negative for my mental health. A stable, consistent relationship is what really matters.