Notices

Let’s try this again

Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let’s try this again

Hi all, So today is my first day sober in quite a long time. I have been an alcoholic for at least 10 years. I’m only 31 to paint a picture. I recently just lost a pet due to getting run over, and as you can imagine I lost it. I went on a four day binger. I’m actually recovering today so that I can appear normal when I go back to work. I really thought I could handle my alcoholism, but clearly I can’t. Alcohol has ruined a lot of things in my life, and I really want to change. What advice do ya’ll have for staying sober?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The biggest thing I've found in staying sober is that I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. There are lots of ways to get and stay sober. I hope you find what works for you.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR! Read around the forum. Different methods work for different people. The main thing is to put together a plan for when cravings hit. Get yourself some face-to-face support and stay close to SR.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Takeaction

Hello Takeaction,
I'm new to sobriety (83 days) at 48 years old after numerous prior quitting and relapses. The difference this time is that I simplified everything in life and live one day at a time. I cleaned up my diet, started walking and dropped a bunch of toxic people including people who I thought were "friends" and bad relatives. I also stopped thinking about the past and the future and stopped comparing myself to others. Keep it simple. SR is really great too. That's my two cents from someone early in sobriety. Hope this helped. Take care.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Takeaction - I'm so glad you joined us. You're in good company, and we all understand - like others can't.

I'm sorry for the loss of your pet. I used to think drinking was the answer to everything - but it doesn't end up helping us through grief or any other emotion. It just masks our feelings & makes things worse in the end. It's good that you ended the binge when you did. Reading & posting here really helped me in the early days of recovery. It gave me something to do & helped me realize I wasn't alone. You can do it.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome takeaction - I'm sorry for you loss tho.

For me this community helped a lot.

It was important to me to know people understood my problem, but even more important than that, I saw people living sober - and happy - lives.

My life was all about drinking so it took a lot of change and commitment, but I've never regretted getting sober.

It all starts with a day one.

D
Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your feedback. I’ve always known I had a drinking problem, but I never wanted to say those words...”alcoholic.” Well drinking by yourself until you black out is not the answer. It’s affecting my job, my relationships, and my overall health. I really want to be sober. The hardest thing is not making that stop at the store after work because I had a hard day. I’ve attended a couple of A.A. meetings before, but I didn’t seem quite as bad as some of the attendees. Now I know I need the help. I fell yesterday bruising my back and hitting my head. Being sober all day today has made me realize I made alcohol my friend.