Notices

Sobriety and weight loss

Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and weight loss

I'm a serial relapse over a period of years and years. Vodka was my drink of choice, and I made myself heavy dinners to facilitate drinking (up to an estimated 2000 cal per day in vodka alone!) so my weight has slowly crept up over those years.
On 2/17/19 I was sober and told myself that I only had to do one thing daily - stay sober! I could eat whatever I wanted but was going to focus on healthier foods to heal my body and limit portions when I could, all that was optional as long as I just made it through each day without alcohol. I was afraid that if I tried to change too many things at once I'd just set myself up for another failure.
In the course of the past month I've used it as an urge surfing tool, which is something I'd never learned to do. If I crave alcohol (which is happening less and less - generally only if I have a really bad day) I just tell myself that I'll plan a food treat for tomorrow, maybe Chinese take-out (I love General Tso's) or a jamocha shake. I have fun thinking about it, but by the next day the urge is passed and I tell myself - "well, I can always do it tomorrow."
Today marks day 28, a milestone I haven't hit in years! I've lost a bunch of weight and my clothes are starting to get a little flappy. I'm walking faster and moving easier. Better yet, I'm learning to listen to and respect my poor body!
Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I followed the same philosophy Lascaux and it has worked very well for me - well for nearly 23 months. I found it hard at first because I think there is an element of 'sackcloth and ashes' when quitting. A bit of self punishment. There seems to be a tendency to 'give up' things which can mean that one looses focus on what really matters - not drinking.
I love baking and find it very therapeutic so I made myself nice things to fill that need for a reward . I bought all sorts of cooking gadgets with my booze money to have something to show for it.
Over time, it has evolved - carrot cake is my thing at the moment -and I have lost weight and am in pretty good shape.
The very best of luck to you.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My body changed significantly after I quit. My stomach flattened out, I lost 3 inches on my waste. I GAINED weight but lost body fat. I started working out again at a gym and still do (its been 3+ years). I think losing all those empty calories and eating well makes a huge difference. Good for you on quitting and I'm glad to hear you are losing weight. Obesity is the silent killer. (Not assuming you are obese, just a general statement.)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am lighter at 53 than at 23. All due drinking. Once I quit 27kg gone in just over 4 months. A great self confidence boost alone.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've lost six pounds since quitting two months ago. I'm sure it'd be more if I hadn't been inhaling so many sweets for the first 2-3 weeks. I haven't really been working out a ton (it's that whole idea of not wanting to change too much at once), but it's on my radar. I'm trying to be permissive with myself and recognize that not drinking is the important thing and if I need to eat a cupcake or not work out for a day in order to accomplish that, it's OK.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 28 days Lascaux, great job! A lot of us booze quitters find that we want to eat more sugar laden foods than when we drank. That was certainly true in my case. It does lessen a bit over time but mostly I am just more active than I was as a drinker and so burn some extra calories. I would still like to lose a couple of inches of waistline.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lost a ton of weight over two and a half years. I look like a different person. People comment on it all the time. If only they knew that the weight I really lost was on the inside, and it was a heavy ball and chain keeping me down below the surface of actual living. Keep going! It gets even better.

xo-b
Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
I lost a ton of weight over two and a half years. I look like a different person. People comment on it all the time. If only they knew that the weight I really lost was on the inside, and it was a heavy ball and chain keeping me down below the surface of actual living. Keep going! It gets even better.

xo-b
Loosing the inside weight as well is phenomenal.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kudos to you on 28 days! Wishing you the best!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats! Hang strong!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We believe in you and I hope you can believe in yourself more and more.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic news! Beware of any sweet tooth habits. I developed a taste for ice cream I never knew I had and as a consequence I gained 10 pounds.

Many people lose weight, however. I hope to be one of those, soon enough- as I am growing tired of, and more disciplined with, the act of eating said ice cream. lol
Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
I'm a serial relapse over a period of years and years. Vodka was my drink of choice, and I made myself heavy dinners to facilitate drinking (up to an estimated 2000 cal per day in vodka alone!) so my weight has slowly crept up over those years.
On 2/17/19 I was sober and told myself that I only had to do one thing daily - stay sober! I could eat whatever I wanted but was going to focus on healthier foods to heal my body and limit portions when I could, all that was optional as long as I just made it through each day without alcohol. I was afraid that if I tried to change too many things at once I'd just set myself up for another failure.
In the course of the past month I've used it as an urge surfing tool, which is something I'd never learned to do. If I crave alcohol (which is happening less and less - generally only if I have a really bad day) I just tell myself that I'll plan a food treat for tomorrow, maybe Chinese take-out (I love General Tso's) or a jamocha shake. I have fun thinking about it, but by the next day the urge is passed and I tell myself - "well, I can always do it tomorrow."
Today marks day 28, a milestone I haven't hit in years! I've lost a bunch of weight and my clothes are starting to get a little flappy. I'm walking faster and moving easier. Better yet, I'm learning to listen to and respect my poor body!
I can relate with almost everything you said! Vodka was always my drink of choice, and it seems like we were drinking similar amounts. I did the math once and I was drinking about 2000 calories of vodka, plus another 800 calories mixer (Gatorade). Now, I too reward myself and satisfy my cravings with food. Jamocha shakes from Arbys are big for me, as are Chick Fil A shakes. The pints of Gelato at Harris Teeter....also so good.

I've lost 30lbs or so, can fit into my old clothes again, and want to lose another 20lbs. I'd be in killer shape if I stopped eating like this!

What part of NC are you in?