Notices

Seizures

Old 02-23-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

Seizures

Hi,

I have suffered numerous seizures in the past few years following going cold turkey and been hospitalised each time. I have managed to not drink for a week now but keep getting flashbacks and weird horrible feelings/ images that remind me of it all that make me almost think i will have another seizure even tho sober. AnyoneArelate? Is this a normal withdrawal symptom? I would have thought my psychological symptoms would have gone by now. Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

National Clinical Guideline Centre (UK).
London: Royal College of Physicians (UK); 2010.
Seizures may occur in the first 12 to 48 hours and only rarely after this. Auditory and visual hallucinations may develop; these are characteristically frightening and may last for five to six days.

Delirium tremens (DTs) occurs uncommonly, perhaps in less than 5% of individuals withdrawing from alcohol. The syndrome usually starts some 48 to 72 hours after cessation of drinking and is characterized by coarse tremor, agitation, fever, tachycardia, profound confusion, delusions and hallucinations.
At a week of non-drinking you should be pretty much in the clear, but I am not a trained medical professional; just an alcoholic in recovery who has experienced seizures from acute alcohol withdrawal.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Frizzer

None of us are Drs here - and no one here can give you any professional medical advice or guarantees yay or nay.

If you have a history of seizures in the past and you're worried about them happening again why not see a Dr and set your mind to rest?

D
Old 02-23-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on a week of sobriety. I hope you talk to your doctor about your health concerns.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having such a hard time Frizzer. Maybe you are having something called PAWS. Post acute withdrawal syndrome, this happens after your initial physical detox. You can google it, and maybe put your mind at ease just knowing this is what you might be suffering from. Best Wishes
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hate disagreeing with people, but think it's important to note that seizures are not part of PAWS.

Seizures are not something everyone gets. They can be serious.

I think the best advice to anyone with a history of seizures like the OP is to see a doctor.

Lets share our first hand experience by all means if we have any, but lets leave the diagnostic guesswork to the professionals

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Dee
SR
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you should see a doctor, they really can help you.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had a number of seizures days after quitting....and I've felt great at the time, then it hit. I've also had alcohol induced ones. Myself...it's always in the back
of my head that it could happen...that's why I would never go cold turkey unless at a medical detox. If you are worried you should consult your doctor or neurologist.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had seizures and pretty much everything extreme described in any of the usual info on w/d etc. Info on PAWS resonated with me - but whatever term or not, everyone here knows that I went cold turkey and did not go to an ER. I did have my GP whom I saw several times in those first wks, my psych straightening out meds, and all tests (esp scary liver done).

I just went thru it all. As said above, the safest thing for anyone would be to go to the ER/have a supervised etc experience, so I am only speaking for myself. Some part of me needed my experience to suck however bad it would, and I am sure that is not true for many (even most) people.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a few seizures at work following nights of drinking heavily. They were terrifying and could've been deadly if I was driving. I suppose the last one was my wake up call. Haven't had a drink since. No seizures to speak of either. Not a coincidence.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

Thanks for the replies. I called my gp (ER won't admit me unless I actually have another seizure) but I called my gp, he thinks these flashbacks/weird images/ sense of dread (mental but which makes my whole body kind of in fight or flight mode) should subside, particularly as I am on sertraline as well as thiamine tablets and am now eating healthily. No hallucinations (yet) but i have had in detox in the past in hospital. The flashbacks/sudden thoughts are the scariest because they are so random (not even stereotypical demons, spiders or whatever) but they are always the same and each time fill me with an illogical fear.. and the more i try and not think tyem obviously the more i get them. Started gym again tho which is helping
Old 03-15-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

Seizures

Hi I had another alcoholic seisure two days ago (hospital discharge 6 x librium given) - Any tips in recovery detox at home? x
Old 03-15-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

please see your doctor again. It's so dangerous and against the rules for any of us to advise you on medical stuff hope you are ok,
Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that frizzer - i'd stay in close touch with your doctor and strongly consider supervised detox. If you are to the point of seizures from your withdrawals it's not something you want to be risking on your own.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty serious. Dee47 (a mod on this forum) has had experience with seizures.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeff

youve misremembered
I had mini strokes. Not the same thing.

Frizzer - I think you need professional medical advice on detox, man.

D
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Frizzer, i really think you’re in need of medical supervision. Is there any intensive outpatient program you can do in the very Least? Even a doctor on this forum would refer you to someone who could monitor you.

Wish you all the best
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

See doc
Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, Frizzer. Please see your doctor. I had a seizure when detoxing and was fortunate to have been in a detox center when it happened. If this is happening you need medical supervision until you're out of danger. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey. Sobriety is worth the effort!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am unclear where you had the seizure. Were you in the hospital or did you go to the hospital and then they gave you the librium script to take at home? I had seizures in the ambulance to the hospital and stayed in the hospital 10 days under care of the doctors for the detox process. It was very serious and I nearly died from the dt's. You need a medically supervised plan. What were your instructions upon your release?