Notices

D-Day!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

D-Day!

Hello everyone,

I posted a while back about my desire and intention to quit drinking. Here's a link in case you're interested:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...610-hello.html (Hello!)

Anyway, I just wanted to post something short and sweet since my official quit date (tomorrow) is at hand. Like I said in my earlier posts, I selected March 15th as the date that I would get sober, and here we are. Since my original post, I've been working with a counselor weekly, have attended some AA meetings, been reading a lot on SR and the Big Book, listening to AA speaker meetings, etc. While I knew that I couldn't fully prepare for something like this, I felt it would be helpful for me personally to gear up so to speak, and I believe that is has been.

During the last two weeks I've had tests run and consulted with a doctor about all of this. Given my alcohol intake, I will be doing a medically supervised outpatient detox starting tomorrow morning. I'm incredibly nervous about all of this but I know that my time has come (absolutely no excuses or attempts to move the goal line). I simply cannot continue to live with alcohol as my master. Anyway, I wanted to post this so that I can keep a record of my thoughts and feelings as I officially move into recovery.

P.S. Why is getting sober so scary? Is it just one's fear of change or something different altogether?

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I congratulate you on your preparation. That is great and unusual.

For me, I guess it was scary because I'm an addict. Alcohol was my coping mechanism, my best friend, my hobby, my sport. But, as addiction is progressive, it became my worst enemy...just took me a while to admit that and accept it.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck for tomorrow ive only made it through day one today, hopefully this is a journey we can both achieve
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound well prepared and serious to quit.

For me getting sober was scary mainly because I didn’t believe I could do it, didn’t think I had it in me. Perhaps it’s a common theme and the reason why we often see posts along the lines of “If I can do it, anyone can!”

Best to you and please keep us posted on your progress!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I congratulate you on your preparation. That is great and unusual.

For me, I guess it was scary because I'm an addict. Alcohol was my coping mechanism, my best friend, my hobby, my sport. But, as addiction is progressive, it became my worst enemy...just took me a while to admit that and accept it.
Thanks Frick! I can absolutely relate to everything you say about alcohol being your bf, hobby, sport, etc. (and worst enemy). It's like a painful (but necessary) breakup with someone whom I've been intricately connected for the better part of 15 years.

For me, I have accepted that. Accepting it, however, doesn't really make it less scary for me though. Scary or not, I KNOW that I'm making the most important decision of my life!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Good luck for tomorrow ive only made it through day one today, hopefully this is a journey we can both achieve
Thanks for the encouragement Tinker! Great job on one day, you're batting 1000! I wish you all the best in your journey, keep posting and I'll be following along with you.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
You sound well prepared and serious to quit.

Thanks Capt. I am very serious and hopefully as prepared as I can be, fingers crossed!

For me getting sober was scary mainly because I didn’t believe I could do it, didn’t think I had it in me. Perhaps it’s a common theme and the reason why we often see posts along the lines of “If I can do it, anyone can!”
I often think of this. More and more as my quit date has grown closer. For me, it is imperative that I 110% believe that I CAN and WILL do this thing (i.e. reclaim a healthy and happy life without any alcohol for the rest of my life). As soon as an ounce of doubt starts to creep in I start to feel that I'm in trouble and it will just be a matter of time before I "slip". On the other hand, I recognize that I need to stay very very humble in my recovery lest I start thinking "I got this". For me, the challenge is in doing both things at the same time (110% believing that I will be successful all the while remaining watchful, vigilant and humble as I navigate recovery/sobriety. I don't know if any of what I just said makes sense (I fear I may not be articulating it well), but there you have it.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on that, if it made sense
Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes!! I love your attitude. 100% you can do this your determination is clear and positivity will serve you well. Best of luck to you Stay close to SR and I'll be following your recovery.

I believe getting sober is so scary because we numb our emotions with alcohol for so long that finally facing up to them is daunting.. but it's so much better than living in a drunken haze!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
Yes!! I love your attitude. 100% you can do this your determination is clear and positivity will serve you well. Best of luck to you Stay close to SR and I'll be following your recovery.

I believe getting sober is so scary because we numb our emotions with alcohol for so long that finally facing up to them is daunting.. but it's so much better than living in a drunken haze!
Thanks noaddedsugar! I couldn't agree with you more, it is VERY scary but the alternative (if I could truly and fully "play that tape out" in my head) is hands down WAYYYY scarier.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

There is an old saying that everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear. It’s very true for me at least and learning to walk through that fear is where you gain the most growth.

Best of luck and keep posting. You can do this! x
Old 03-14-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good choice!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thinking about you tonight 5329. Hope you’re doing well!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Atomic!

thanks for reaching out, I’ve been detoxing so I have been too active on SR the last few days or so.

Today is my 7th day sober! I’m not normally one to cry but I’ve cried several times today, I am just so very grateful to have gotten this far (ive never strung even 2 sober days together much less 7). Im also nervous for my future now that I’m not on Valium any longer, but as I said in my very first post, I’m confident that the way I did this (picking a quit date and gearing up) has thus far been just what I needed!

Not to say it’s for everyone (or probably even most) but I’m so freaking excited and grateful to be where I am today, seven days sober!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 days. I remember your first posts in SR. As you said yourself picking a date a couple of months ago is quite unusual. I wish you continued success.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week 5329guy

D
Old 03-23-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good to hear - keep going.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This great to hear! How is it going?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support! For some reason I wasn't getting notified of postings via email so I didn't even see any of these recent posts until now. It's going well, today is day 11! As far as alcohol withdrawals/cravings/etc. go, I am doing very well. I honestly don't really even think about alcohol much right now (staying grounded, however!). Physically, however, I am not doing as well. I am having a lot of trouble sleeping (I used to take ambien on top of my 14 or so beers to "help" with sleep), so my doc prescribed me Tegretol. Some nights I sleep fine and others, like last night, I don't sleep at all and wake up with a terrible headache and my stomach feels like its about to burst. I am also on 400mg of Magnesium to help with severe body aches. I am also on Gabapentin to help with anxiety associated with quitting (although I don't really think I should be taking it as I'm very rarely anxious about my decision to quit or stay sober). Plus, I absolutely don't want to get addicted to taking a pill like that.

For all of you who have quit drinking, how long did it take for you to start to feel better physically, lose some weight (I've actually gained a pound or two and I already had a beer belly), sleep better, etc.?