Notices

Today Is Going Rough

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today Is Going Rough

Almost at the 24 hour mark, but really struggling with anxiety and nausea. I hate how easy of a bandaid having a drink would be. Just gotta make it through this phase.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

Remember that this is the last time that you have to go through this. What a great thing!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tough stuff man. You have to find a way to push through.

Day drinking and drinking at work is often very close to the end for many of us. The end being the place where you pick yourself up, suck it up and straighten your road. Or the end being where something terrible happens.

Hope you lose some leverage to make the right choice.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first week was horrendous. Someone told me to watch out for HALT (Hunger/Anger/Lonliness/Tiredness). They said to address these areas as they could contribute to triggers and general horrible feelings. So I made sure I ate properly, I tried to do meditation but failed as my mind just went nuts, I did though go to AA, and go out for coffee with people from there afterwards and called them too. Still do that. I went to bed early and took melatonin to help me sleep initially. I went swimming or for a long walk when I got agitated, and I carried a bar of chocolate with me everywhere. I’m on 18 days now, and I’m already noticing a huge difference in how I feel. It does get easier, but it takes time and you have to want it. I also downloaded an app called Pink Cloud, which keeps track of my days and I have a list of tasks I tick off each day. It’s also great for finding meetings. You have to take it one day at a time, and not give in. You will feel terrible at times for sure, and low, but for me it got easier, and still is getting easier. Hang in there. Remember what it makes you do, and how it makes you feel afterwards. It’s a poison! It will only cause you problems in your life.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today get lots of fluids, try to get outdoors and go for a little walk, the exercisewmd nature will help.

In the upcoming days plan out how you'll spend your time, maybe some books about recovery, maybe you binge watch an entire Netflix series.

If you're working make a to do list with things you can accomplish that day, if you're home do the same thing. Maybe you clean out a closet, organize the kitchen cabinet, vacuum, dust... try to pick just one thing.

The first days are hard, but once you're through them you never need to go through them again.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early days are tough but you never have to do this again. Try to listen to your body, drink lots of water, exercise a bit if you can. It will get better.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I counted the hours knowing each sober one was closer to feeling better. You should be feeling better in a day or two so just drink water, teas, and juices. Remember that you never have to feel like this again!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's going to suck. Just have to accept it and get through it.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
It's going to suck. Just have to accept it and get through it.
it's crazy how much worse it is this time around than it was a month ago. No appetite whatsoever, stomach and brain are all over the place, can only hold down water. I just need to remember this exact feeling if I ever had an inkling of a drink again.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's probably 'kindling', meaning it's cumulative, so that each withdrawal is worse than the last. Stay strong and keep posting.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It's probably 'kindling', meaning it's cumulative, so that each withdrawal is worse than the last. Stay strong and keep posting.
I've never heard of this, but it definitely seems like what is happening to me.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All I can say is that I feel for you, knowing how awful it plays out.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just remember that you never have to go thru this again if you stay sober.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you're feeling a little bit better now Utahman?

D