Notices

I got a fabulous problem

Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I got a fabulous problem

This sobriety is starting to cost me serious money. I have lost a lot of weight 27kg most of it since going sober. I am tall guy 183cm and now 100kg(6,1) ALL my clothes are so huge on me. I have had to replace all work clothes, jeans etc. I have donated all these to a shelter.
Its a fantastic feeling to be able to shop again but $$$. The weight loss has been a side effect of going sober. The huge boost in self confidence is a plus. Posting this for anybody down due to their weight and that's what keeps them drinking. If you drop the booze not only will you get sober but that weight will come off.
Being fat (nothing wrong with that) for me was one of the triggers to drink in itself. I felt unhappy with myself so to make myself feel better I drank. It was a huge part of the reason I drank, a vicious cycle. I was teased at school and can vividly remember that. No more. Its a great feeling to feel great mentally but also look good physically.

You can drop it both the bottle and the weight
Old 03-10-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't wait 'til I have that problem!

Nice work Sydneyman....and Thanks for the encouragement ~ Happy shopping!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, I was a bloated mess when I quit May 2018. I have lost around 8kg.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 22 for me and I've lost 9.8 pounds (and have been eating lots of healthy food). Look on the bright side, you're not spending money on the booze so that's a bit of an offset. I figured I spent at least $40 per week on alcohol, not to mention all the heavy meals I was making to eat while I was drinking.
Hope I get to having your fabulous problem
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Syd,

I was so used to being sick, tired, and weak that my mind thinks I am still like that.

All of my conscious efforts to eat healthy, e.g. veggies, fruit, quality protien, lots of water, working out 4 to 7 days a week, have transformed me into a better human.

My brain tells me I am tired, but when I hit the gym, the energy is there. I started out doing 30 minutes of weights and cardio and now I can go for 2 hours if I want. I usually stop at about an hour though. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The endorphins from fitness feel way way way better than any drunkenness for sure. I have learned that.

I routinely do nice things for people expecting nothing in return. Holding the door, making way in traffic, a big tip for a service.

All of things generate natural endorphins, internally created opiates. These are addictive as well, but can be used to make me and the world a better place.

It is my path for life and it is good and right.

Happy Sunday!

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Syd,

I was so used to being sick, tired, and weak that my mind thinks I am still like that.

All of my conscious efforts to eat healthy, e.g. veggies, fruit, quality protien, lots of water, working out 4 to 7 days a week, have transformed me into a better human.

My brain tells me I am tired, but when I hit the gym, the energy is there. I started out doing 30 minutes of weights and cardio and now I can go for 2 hours if I want. I usually stop at about an hour though. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The endorphins from fitness feel way way way better than any drunkenness for sure. I have learned that.

I routinely do nice things for people expecting nothing in return. Holding the door, making way in traffic, a big tip for a service.

All of things generate natural endorphins, internally created opiates. These are addictive as well, but can be used to make me and the world a better place.

It is my path for life and it is good and right.

Happy Sunday!

Thanks.
I agree kindness is what this planet needs. I did not look after myself when active in addiction. I hardly ate. I drank and vomited bile as had nothing in my stomach in the end. It was full of wine and I could actually feel my stomach full of liquid. Gross. Self care is top of my priorities now. Feed my temple healthy good food and lots of water. Be kind to myself and others. Mindfulness mindfulness...
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your weight loss that must make you feel so much better. It is a wonderful side effect of going sober, I have lost 19.5kgs/43lbs myself and just being able to move around more easily is great. Sobriety really is the gift that keeps on giving
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It Is Helianthus. It just shows the overall positives with quitting. I will be off my blood pressure medications I have been on in the next coming weeks. Off cholesterol pills since beginning of this year. I am reversing all the abuse I have done to myself both mentally and physically. I feel like I am part of the human race again. Not drinking myself stupid wallowing in self pity. Perseverance and commitment is what this game takes.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

An excellent problem indeed! I lost 30 lbs in 5 months without much effort. It’s amazing how well your body responds when you treat it right.

Last edited by Atlast9999; 03-10-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Hit “Reply” too soon
Old 03-10-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lucky you! I gained in sobriety...

Not anything I can’t take off in less than a few months, but still...
Old 03-10-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Lucky you! I gained in sobriety...
Not anything I can’t take off in less than a few months, but still...
I have seen it go either way for folks who stop drinking. It's not universal. But in all cases sobriety is better! Getting sober is the top priority.

PS - Sassy Rocks!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Great thread. I went from 220# at 5'6" with no muscle to a muscular 165# Have gained a few pounds in the last 3 weeks but my pants are looser in the weights so I think it's muscle.

Exercise and health was a huge part of my recovery. Congrats Syd!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
I have seen it go either way for folks who stop drinking. It's not universal. But in all cases sobriety is better! Getting sober is the top priority.

PS - Sassy Rocks!!!
That’s so sweet! Thank you. .
Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
This sobriety is starting to cost me serious money. I have lost a lot of weight 27kg most of it since going sober. I am tall guy 183cm and now 100kg(6,1) ALL my clothes are so huge on me. I have had to replace all work clothes, jeans etc. I have donated all these to a shelter.
Its a fantastic feeling to be able to shop again but $$$. The weight loss has been a side effect of going sober. The huge boost in self confidence is a plus. Posting this for anybody down due to their weight and that's what keeps them drinking. If you drop the booze not only will you get sober but that weight will come off.
Being fat (nothing wrong with that) for me was one of the triggers to drink in itself. I felt unhappy with myself so to make myself feel better I drank. It was a huge part of the reason I drank, a vicious cycle. I was teased at school and can vividly remember that. No more. Its a great feeling to feel great mentally but also look good physically.

You can drop it both the bottle and the weight
Haha! Same. I'm actually 60 pounds lighter (27 kgs) than when I was at my worst with alcohol. I had a red face, sunken eyes, I was puffy and had terrible skin. I looked like a shadow of my younger self.

Honestly I look like a completely different person today. I'm trim, fit, clear skin, healthy-looking and I feel great. I've been told I look a lot younger at 35 than I did at 25. Imagine that.

I hear you on the clothing thing. I gave multiple trash bags of XL clothes to the GoodWill -- had to trade in for MEDIUMS. Who would've thought.

Great thread
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Being fat (nothing wrong with that)
That made me laugh. Over the weekend I found myself going through my closet trying on old clothes, new clothes, new older clothes....

Basically...

Before I had a drinking problem clothes: Size medium that I thought "one day" I'll fit back into these....[DONATED]

When I had a drinking problem clothes: Size XL that I wore to hide my 223 lbs of fat and bloat. [DONATED]

Between clothes: Size L that were too snug when I had a drinking problem, but too loose when I was skinny...and now fit rather well since I'm back to weighing 180 with muscle definition.

New clothes: Went shopping Saturday for a few new things. Felt good!

I'm so glad you feel confident again. It's the best feeling ever!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats and great post sydneyman!

I've always been average or underweight myself. I'm a 5 foot 9 woman and I weight around 121 pounds at the moment. The one thing I did notice is that regardless of how low my weight was, alcohol ALWAYS caused me to have a podgy looking stomach. I'd be slim all over apart from the chubby booze gut. That completely went once I'd given up alcohol.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Haha! Same. I'm actually 60 pounds lighter (27 kgs) than when I was at my worst with alcohol. I had a red face, sunken eyes, I was puffy and had terrible skin. I looked like a shadow of my younger self.

Honestly I look like a completely different person today. I'm trim, fit, clear skin, healthy-looking and I feel great. I've been told I look a lot younger at 35 than I did at 25. Imagine that.

I hear you on the clothing thing. I gave multiple trash bags of XL clothes to the GoodWill -- had to trade in for MEDIUMS. Who would've thought.

Great thread

I agree with the looking completely different person today. Its a good feeling. Day 124 for me today.
and