Notices

Let's talk about how crappy wine is

Old 03-08-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's talk about how crappy wine is

I just realized it's "barrel tasting" week here in wine country. It's where a bunch of tourists and locals alike come and get completely wasted all under the pretense of wine tasting. They buy a pass that gives them access to literally 100s of wineries.

I have been one of said people.

In fact this is just the start of the many festivals and festivities that plague this area. Fun fun fun- and it almost always involves good wine. Wine has been my biggest drug of choice in this mess of a life I've created with alcohol.

And so I thought maybe we could wax philosophically about the lame side of wine. Anything and everything you can think of, ranging from the taste of it, down to the snobby pretentious crap everyone says about it. Have at it. I really need to start re-framing how I see alcohol and especially wine- so anything you can think of will be of great help.

I will go first....

Wine is nothing more than rotten fruit mixed with yeast feces.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right on.
My sister is a wine snob.
Me? I can't tell the difference between a hundred dollar wine and Night Train.
One thing I never drank, except when it was free.
Never liked it.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red wine stains things when it comes back up at 3am.
And it drained my bank account like nothing else. One glass of wine usually cost as much as my dinner.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I played the game of wine snob early on as an excuse to drink. But in the later years of my drinking career, I only went to wine if there was nothing else. It took the greater part of my life to learn that all acohol sucks. It took much from me and I ain't givin it no more.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I played the game of wine snob early on as an excuse to drink. But in the later years of my drinking career, I only went to wine if there was nothing else. It took the greater part of my life to learn that all acohol sucks. It took much from me and I ain't givin it no more.
Yep. That's how I got hooked as well. I was a normal drinker for the longest time. Never ever thought I'd have a problem until I started up with wine. I have a culinary soft spot so I could play the whole "tasting" part right down to the letter.

Of course the AV paints beautiful pictures of vineyards with friends toasting to fun and merriment, while swirling a fine expensive glass of aged wine- when really it's just you drinking two buck chuck alone on a Saturday night!!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing worse than a wine hangover.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Right on.
My sister is a wine snob.
Me? I can't tell the difference between a hundred dollar wine and Night Train.
One thing I never drank, except when it was free.
Never liked it.
Yeah we played a funny joke on a friend once. She was a total snob so we brought out three glasses. One was expensive wine and the other two were less than $5. She picked one of the cheap ones as the "good" one. We were rollin'. haha!

So lame.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started off drinking a nice expensive wine. In six months I was drinking the cheapest wine I could get so I could afford more of it. I hate wine and now, even the thought of it makes me feel sick.
  # 9 (permalink)  
SIB

Never liked it and always thought most wine snobs used its appeal as a way to hide being a drunk. If you think they are bad though - how about whiskey connoisseurs lol
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
Red wine stains things when it comes back up at 3am.
And it drained my bank account like nothing else. One glass of wine usually cost as much as my dinner.
Hell yeah. I have gone to events that left my teeth red for days afterwards!

As far as whether to have blood spilled on your or red wine, I honestly don't know which is worse. I have heard it's blood because red wine sets in like there's no tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SIB View Post
Never liked it and always thought most wine snobs used its appeal as a way to hide being a drunk. If you think they are bad though - how about whiskey connoisseurs lol
Ugh....that's what pisses me off the most. Now there's whiskey, gin and even tequila "tasting".

Please.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I started off drinking a nice expensive wine. In six months I was drinking the cheapest wine I could get so I could afford more of it. I hate wine and now, even the thought of it makes me feel sick.
That sounds like me, least. I devolved into very cheap wine very fast.

Wish I felt sick thinking about it. Maybe I'll get there.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wine sucks. It's like overrated grape juice. You get a crappy hangover for hanging out with it and it's way more money than it's worth. F wine.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SIB

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Ugh....that's what pisses me off the most. Now there's whiskey, gin and even tequila "tasting".

Please.
Don't get me started, we can even touch on beer tasting and "craft beer". Beer was my drink of choice and I could barely stomach 90% of the trendy "craft beer" I ever tried. Bitter, pungent, crappy tasting - you name it and people gobble the stuff up. I was taken to a craft beer festival 2 years ago and all of it was terrible.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah beer will be the next thread!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day drinking warm white wine out of a plastic cup hidden in the laundry room - seriously the WORST.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nez

Rather than think about how crappy wine is, I think about how great sobriety is. Even if I am thinking how crappy wine is, bottom line is that I am still thinking about wine. Why even let wine into my thought processes? I can steer my thought processes in another direction and not even let wine get a toe hold in my mind.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Drinking acidic, rancid, warm Chardonnay out of a plastic bladder lining a cardboard box, because I drank everything in the wine refrigerator and stopped bothering to refill the bottles with the expensive labels. That’s how far I sank.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Rather than think about how crappy wine is, I think about how great sobriety is. Even if I am thinking how crappy wine is, bottom line is that I am still thinking about wine. Why even let wine into my thought processes? I can steer my thought processes in another direction and not even let wine get a toe hold in my mind.
Well you're welcome to start a sobriety thread. I just thought I'd try something different.

I don't know about other people,, but a lot of things enter my mind randomly, least of all when I am surrounded by that very thing I'm trying not to think of and I'd be foolish to assume that it has no power over me. Maybe in a year or two that will be different but for now it is not.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Wine is nothing more than rotten fruit mixed with yeast feces.
Anyone who pays more than $2 for a half gallon is a sucker.