Learned Helplessness?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Learned Helplessness?

So often, here, one hears the words...."I feel trapped"....feeling like they are in a situation which has absolutely no way out....

I think that the following article may be of some interest.....

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is...ssness-2795326
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I learned helplessness from my mother, who is an ACOA from a family of mean drunks, and I am trying now to recognize it and overcome it. One painful memory comes to mind. When I was about 6, she was dating this guy. This guy and my mom were in the front seat of her car, him driving. My little brother, about 3 years old at the time, and I were in the back. My brother and I were either fighting, fussing, or just making too much noise. The guy pulled the car over, got out, yanked my little brother out, and "spanked" him. It was so incredibly scary. It was nothing like the spankings my mom used to do. I still feel scared just thinking about it. Anyway, my mom just sat there quietly. I don't think she said anything.

I forgive my mom and I love my mom. But I have never understood why she didn't try to protect my brother. Edited to add - I do, now, think I understand why she didn't. She was scared too.

I will rise from this learned helplessness. I will rise.