Notices

Feeling depressed

Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling depressed

hi everyone- I’m on day 13 and feeling awful. Feeling very isolated and depressed, and so tired. So so tired. I went to serbia for work and nearly cracked. Had to run back to my hotel and just hide in bed as knew if I left I’d drink. I’ve taken today off work, and focused on my well being. My boyfriend is coming over for dinner. But part of me wants to push him away so I can be alone. I feel quite numb. Has anyone else felt like this at this stage? Is this normal? I can’t remember what it was like when I first did it last year.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Meddles View Post
Is this normal?
It's normal for early recovery to be tough...on our emotional well being, our physical well being, on our mental faculties.

Stay strong. It gets better.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Meddles,
I was pretty depressed for the first few weeks that i was recovering. I found that drinking alot of Vitamin C helped me. I also found that exercise washes away those depressed feelings. It is counterintuitive but it does. I wanted to be by myself alot early on too. It's ok to spend alone time to work on yourself..just not too much. Isolation can be deadly for an Alcoholic.
Good Luck!
Garrison
Old 03-08-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Meddes - I think early recovery is rough - I dunno about norml but I cetainly had a tough first 30 days.

What else are you doing to stay sober besides posting here?

D
Old 03-08-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey D- I’m going to meetings when I can, I swim twice a week, and I’m avoiding the pub. My partner came over this evening and I told him everything about how I feel and he was so supportive. He doesn’t really understand it though. He thinks I can pick up again once it’s under control. Does anyone know any good resources for partners of alcoholics? D do you have any advice or anything you’d recommend to help with the blues?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meddles View Post
Hey D- I’m going to meetings when I can, I swim twice a week, and I’m avoiding the pub. My partner came over this evening and I told him everything about how I feel and he was so supportive. He doesn’t really understand it though. He thinks I can pick up again once it’s under control. Does anyone know any good resources for partners of alcoholics? D do you have any advice or anything you’d recommend to help with the blues?
Watch something that makes you laugh. There are Al-Anon meetings that your partner can go to so that they can understand addiction better.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise helps me lot Medles - I can't do a lot but even 5 mins on the stationary bike a few times a day can really change my mindset?

D
Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt overwhelmed with negative emotions in early recovery. It's a tough time because it usually involves looking at the messes we've made through drinking. Try to focus on some kind of exercise and eating regularly and hopefully you will feel better soon.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's VERY normal. Your body is fresh out of alcohol and is very unhappy. It will pass very soon but it's pretty crappy when you have to go through it. Hang in there!
Old 03-09-2019, 12:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Robert88 great suggestion. I’ve sent the link to their site to him. I’m feeling much better today. Going to go swimming this morning and look into what hobbies I can take up to help. I’m two weeks sober today 😁 thank you so much everyone for all the support. I can’t say enough how much I’m relying on this forum at the moment!!