Notices

Newbie to the Sight Seeking Advice!

Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie to the Sight Seeking Advice!

Hi everyone!

I'm a newcomer (12 days sober after many 2 weeks stints and pretty stupid relapses) and brand new to this forum. I'm still in that 'pink cloud' of optimism and inner peace, though it's my first time in that cloud so this recovery feels profoundly different than previous attempts.

I'm wary of backsliding, and keep worrying about the inevitable fear, anxiety, depression and difficult conversations that await me. But I'm trying to stay positive. Any tips to staying positive at this delicate stage? Especially to keep me from being too hard on myself for all my past errs, which would only trigger that spiral of pain and shame all over again. Any advice would be much appreciated!

On a separate (and lighter) note, does anyone have suggestions for mindless activities to do during meetings to keep my hands busy? I see some people knitting or crocheting, but I don't do either. I'd like to have something like that to keep my hands occupied so I stay more focused and present on the conversation. Counterintuitive, I know, but I'm a hopeless multitasker.

Thank you and have a lovely day!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Try coloring at meetings. It helps me out a lot.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Agree with Robert! Look for Mindfulness Colouring Books in Amazon and there are loads of really good ones! x
Old 03-08-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both!

I love those coloring books and even have one at home. I don't mean to be rude by finding such distractions, but it slows my crazy mind down enough to listen.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome samus

what really helped me stay sober was getting involved in this community, daily - not only asking for support myself but giving it to others too.

You'll find support good ideas - and a little hope here too

Glad you're here!
D
Old 03-08-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that most people understand that it helps because no one has ever given me crap for coloring at a meeting. If they ask, just say that it helps calm your mind so you can focus on what is being said at the meeting.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Samus- daily support...here, meetings
Guidance- GP, psychologist, counsellor
Activities- walking, cooking, art, music, drives, coffee with humans

Support to you.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

An active recovery plan first.

Then, distractions and whatever it takes to keep you sober.

Good choices.

New habits.

Repeat every day.

Glad you are here!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Samus
Glad you found us.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found an old pack of cards and play solitare. Much as I'm used to the Windows version, playing the "analog" version is sort of Zen and meditative. Most of the time I'm on autopilot and playing with half my brain while the other half works through things.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’m on here a lot and I read everyone’s stories and advice. I find it so helpful. I also listen to audio books about people’s battles with alcohol. My recovery is dominating my life, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I feel better and stronger. I still get low patches for sure, especially on Fridays, but the morning after I always feel so good and remember that it’s worth it. I exercise when I can, I listen to calmingmusic and draw (even if it’s just doodling), I write in a journal, I cook every night, and I’ve started writing letters to my mum and dad. Good luck. I’m 14 days sober today and feel good and happy :-)
Old 03-09-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi

I found helping new comers and getting to meetings vital. most importantly doing service and gettinga sponsor who guided me through the 12 steps. Life changing!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Samus.

My pattern is a lot like yours and you used the word inevitable which struck a chord with me. I often wonder why I am doing the sober thing (again) because my head says that 'inevitably' I am going to end up drinking again anyway. Recently, I have come to the conclusion that this is my alcohol voice trying to trick me. If it tells me that it is inevitable then what is the point, I might as well crack on and have a drink. So I have a new tactic now of telling that voice in my head to 'get lost' although I am not so ladylike about it. I then try to visualise a world where I am sober a long time that those thoughts are but a distant memory. Great to hear that you are feeling positive and that it feels different for you this time. If it feels different then it IS different.

Look forward to making the journey with you.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope Samus is doing well, but this thread is from March.

D