Notices

Stopping by to say hello

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping by to say hello

In case it helps someone to hear, this former daily wine drinker is doing well! I am coming up on almost two years of sobriety, and every day I count my blessings that I stopped the insanity of that no-so-merry go-round. EVERYTHING is better. My health, my relationships, our bank account, my state of mind and quality of sleep, the amount of long-languishing projects I'm getting done; my energy, my looks, skin and eyes; on and on. My blood pressure is incredibly good, my anxiety is eased, my bloating is gone.

Almost two years on, I honestly DON'T crave any more. I am not tempted. I am GRATEFUL to be sober when others are drinking. We have wine in the fridge right now (and I'm going to move it because I don't like looking at it), but there's no way I'd open it and drink it, any more than would I take a prescribed medicine in the cabinet that belongs to someone else in my family.

Still, out of nowhere sometimes, a rogue thought will pop into my head that I "wish" I could drink normally, the way I used to years ago, but it doesn't last. I KNOW I can't and won't do it, even if I had the opportunity. I will NOT go down that road anymore.

This is going to sound incredibly nerdy, but in the "Lord of the Rings" movie, there's a scene where Bilbo asks Frodo if he can hold the ring "one last time", and when denied it, he flashes back into a crazed monster for a second, demanding, "it's mine!". It's terrifying, but fleeting, and he snaps out of it and heads off to live his new, peaceful life, leaving that beast behind. We all have that power to walk away.

I know I need to be vigilant, but the cravings, and then the thoughts, fade. You don't long for it and you KNOW you won't pick up again no matter what. That serenity and certainty is a wonderful thing.

I'm not complacent but just wanted to share that it has gotten easier.

My original thread: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rate-stop.html (Wine drinking woman, desperate to stop)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're doing well, Tealily.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congrats on two years, tealily. Why not stick around and help others who are struggling?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you for an uplifting post, Tealily. Two whole years sober - that's fabulous.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Congrats on two years, tealily. Why not stick around and help others who are struggling?
I do when I can! I certainly did more my first year, but often check in, read often, and hope to contribute more again some day. I'm not as knowledgeable (or clever) a poster as many here, but would love to help when I can.

Very grateful for this community. It's what made the difference for me.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
This is going to sound incredibly nerdy, but in the "Lord of the Rings" movie, there's a scene where Bilbo asks Frodo if he can hold the ring "one last time", and when denied it, he flashes back into a crazed monster for a second, demanding, "it's mine!". It's terrifying, but fleeting, and he snaps out of it and heads off to live his new, peaceful life, leaving that beast behind.
I remember that scene, and I had the same reaction. Congratulations. You are no longer a newbie. You're a twobie.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post - thank you - and congratulations tealily

D
Old 03-07-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, I can "hear" the gratitude in your words. Amazing. And thank you for that analogy.. it makes total sense to me!!

All the best to you.

xx
Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good one TL
Old 03-08-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Congratulations. You are no longer a newbie. You're a twobie.
Lol love that, DriGuy

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tealily on 2 years! That's awesome!!