Alcholic narcissism issues-splitting the family?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcholic narcissism issues-splitting the family?

The alcoholic is currently butt kissing various members of the family he normally doesn't give two hoots about frequently bad mouthing them to say the least. I heard this is a common tact for narcissists-trying to divide and conquer by ostracizing or splitting family members?

He's actually trying to portray himself as the victim from those who frown upon his behavior/life style. Also trying to portray others as selfish which is part of an effort to prevent several family members from moving(he'll lose a bed & storage when visiting the area which almost always include drinking/partying-tough decision not drink and drive sober or party and risk dui-oh the trauma). He's also trying to portray immediate family as incompetent/gain control of potential inheritance.

They say narcissism is frequently miss diagnosed or misapplied but this alcoholic seems to fit the criteria almost perfectly. One of the criteria I recent saw in a video says the narcissist absolutely fears death and the life they created-he's constantly passing comments about death(if I'm around, if I make it etc but his current health issues are self inflicted). The reason I bring this up he uses those issue for sympathy, pity, empathy etc. Make your own decision based on his personal issues. This is how he is playing at least one member of the family.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't speak to him using his health issues to garner sympathy, in terms of alcoholism, I haven't encountered that with a narcissist.

Two things though, true NPD and people who are high on the narcissism scale are different and it's almost impossible to discern with an alcoholic because they display, in many cases, high narcissistic traits.

That said, the first part you wrote, is NPD to a tee, from my understanding of it. And yes, I have seen that same scenario being played out.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Active alcoholism often has behaviors similar to narcissists. Within either can be a range of behaviors that become easier to recognize and disentangle from as one is open to seeing beyond the mask.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bill Wilson wrote that alcoholics are self-centered in the extreme. Thing is narcissists are always narcissists. When alcoholics get into recovery they can change the self-absorption (that's what the steps are for). If it helps you to call alcoholics narcissists ok, but they're not the same.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
The alcoholic is currently butt kissing various members of the family he normally doesn't give two hoots about frequently bad mouthing them to say the least. I heard this is a common tact for narcissists-trying to divide and conquer by ostracizing or splitting family members?

He's actually trying to portray himself as the victim from those who frown upon his behavior/life style. Also trying to portray others as selfish which is part of an effort to prevent several family members from moving(he'll lose a bed & storage when visiting the area which almost always include drinking/partying-tough decision not drink and drive sober or party and risk dui-oh the trauma). He's also trying to portray immediate family as incompetent/gain control of potential inheritance.

They say narcissism is frequently miss diagnosed or misapplied but this alcoholic seems to fit the criteria almost perfectly. One of the criteria I recent saw in a video says the narcissist absolutely fears death and the life they created-he's constantly passing comments about death(if I'm around, if I make it etc but his current health issues are self inflicted). The reason I bring this up he uses those issue for sympathy, pity, empathy etc. Make your own decision based on his personal issues. This is how he is playing at least one member of the family.
this was absolutely my experience. My AH went on what I called a “pr” tour, literally flied around the country to tell of his victimhood. I was on the pedestal and then pushed off, AH is currently trying to woo one of our children onto the pedestal but since they won’t comply he has placed his mom up there (who for years he has despised) I wish you well and send prayers dealing with NPD is no joke