Notices

I'm new here

Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

Hi all, I hope you're having a good evening, or day, depending on where you live.
I'm new to sobriety, and I've been trying to focus more on the quality of my days rather than the quantity of them. I will say though that I'm going on two weeks pretty soon, and I'm feeling all sorts of ways. Detoxing from alcohol has probably ended, but the cravings still pop up. I've noticed that some days I can go without finding myself in a case of the "f***-its," as I've heard them be called. I'm wondering what you suggest for when you find yourself in those times.
There are a lot of sayings that I repeat over and over in my head when I get in that frame of mind. "Play the tape through," "bring the body, the mind will follow" (like tonight, I was craving pretty bad and tremendously stressed out, but I went to the movies and ate popcorn and had soda... the urge to drink was pretty nil when I left the theatre. There was an article that I read the other day that was explaining how well thinking where you want to be works. I've been trying that as well.

Anyhow, thanks all for being here. Knowing that others have done this too, and that I don't have to "white knuckle" it forever helps.
Thanks for any of your input.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on your sober time!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, WindPines! It's good to have you with us.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I finally obtained lasting sobriety when finally deciding that I just can't drink anymore. I decided deep down in the deepest part of who I am that drinking is no longer an option no matter what what is going on in my life. That decision makes the choice easy now because I can't even choose drinking. If ya get what I mean.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. I read some of the NA Book or Big Book. I journal about it, pray about it, or try to meditate. I am new to my recovery as well but I am trying to find other hobbies that I might like. I am doing sober living so that helps a lot.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Robert! Finding other people who are new to sobriety sounds like a good idea to me. Well, finding anyone in recovery sounds good to me right about now!! I'll PM you if that's okay.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WELCOME- do some wandering around the SR forums- such as the sticky's... loads of info
Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Welcome!

You won't be white knuckling forever, especially if you commit yourself fully to never drinking again, deep down inside. Once I did that, the obsession to drink pretty much evaporated. It was kind of magic, really. I also went to AA and outpatient treatment, and that bolstered my commitment. Making connections with other people who are in recovery is priceless. Stick around here, and maybe try out AA? Lots of really great folks there who can help you.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and congrats on two weeks! Glad the detox symptoms have left. It’s still early, and the emotional symptoms, f-it feelings and urges to drink may take time. It will get much better though. Every time you pass up an urge, you will get stronger and reinforce your sobriety. It took me about six months to stabilize emotionally. But even after a year, I started to feel drinking urges through a period of life stress, and now after two years, much much less, but things are pretty good in life now and I’m sure there will come a time when I will crave again. For years, I managed life stress by numbing my feelings with alcohol. So I figure it will take a lifetime reversing that pattern. It is so worth all the effort!

It’s important to start working on new coping skills, to replace drinking with healthier behaviors and new habits. If the popcorn and soda worked, that’s a good first start . I had a lot of chocolate in the beginning. I had to stop that habit too, because otherwise I’d probably end up with another problem. So I ultimately did yoga and meditation and exercise to help with stress. Therapy was also great for me. SR has been great as well. I think we all need to be connected with others in sobriety.

You can literally rewire your brain with new habit formation. Read about neuroplasticity. Rick Hansen has written some good books on this subject.
Hope to see you around here!
Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the forum! Here's some good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7139164 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 434)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7138139 (Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on your sobriety. I've said all along that my sobriety is directly dependent on my staying busy. I don't crave alcohol very often at all anymore, but when I do, it is always when I'm at home, alone, bored. Once I get up and do something, like you did at the movies, I'm fine again, and don't have a craving for weeks! Stay busy, stay sober.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WindPines View Post
Thanks Robert! Finding other people who are new to sobriety sounds like a good idea to me. Well, finding anyone in recovery sounds good to me right about now!! I'll PM you if that's okay.
Yeah, you can pm me anytime.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to this VERY helpful site. Specifically, the idea that moderation is NOT an option & skills to keep from the dreaded relapse. It is an everyday battle but also some days it’s as if you’re not an alcoholic. My two cents, a daily exercise routine is key. It’s just so incompatible with drinking & the physical & mental reward is so motivating to stay the good course.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, WindPines. Not feeling alone anymore meant everything to me when I first joined SR. I'm very glad you've chosen to get free of it.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you aboard WP

D
Old 03-07-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Welcome, and congrats on your sobriety. I've said all along that my sobriety is directly dependent on my staying busy. I don't crave alcohol very often at all anymore, but when I do, it is always when I'm at home, alone, bored. Once I get up and do something, like you did at the movies, I'm fine again, and don't have a craving for weeks! Stay busy, stay sober.
Thanks! Looks like we're not far from each other!! Charlotte gets some good live music from time to time, and I've been wanting to get over there to see some lately. Can't fully commit to going any time soon though, because I've always drank at shows :/ Maybe when I feel that I've finally got ahold of this thing, I'll go again.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robert88 View Post
Yeah, you can pm me anytime.
I tried, but apparently I have to post fifteen times before I can PM anyone. So, I'm trying! Hah