Notices

Feels like there is no way out

Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feels like there is no way out

Hi Everyone
I have been a functioning alcoholic for about 20 years. It has gotten to a point where I would try to plan my days around how to get a drink. It always seemed like I was able to control the situation, but after a couple of drinks, all stops signs have been removed and I would end up completely drunk. I've have gotten to a point that either this problem will problem will get corrected or I will loose my family. About two months ago I started seeing a psychologists who suggested I try meditation as a part of the treatment. So far it has been two weeks without a drink. Things appear clearer, sleeping and concentration have improved. My only concern are the cravings. They appear out of no where and can take over my mind. I hope with time things will get better where all the support from family and doctor will pay off, but for now it is an struggle everyday.
Thanks for reading.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maui2018 - I can totally relate - I've been in a similar boat with my alcoholic voice talking to me, jabbering in my ear about "go get a drink, who cares about 2-3 glasses of wine for tonight, won't it be nice" blah blah blah.

I'm trying to find ways to shut out that voice too. Can't say I've found the answers but I certainly keep trying. And I figure as long as I'm trying I'm making progress....

And yes, it is a struggle every day for me.

I look forward to seeing other posts and comments.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on 2 weeks, thats awesome!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks. There is medication for cravings if you think that it would help you out. I am taking anti-craving medication for opiate cravings and I barely have any cravings. My doctor said that it is the most important medication that I can take if I want to stay sober.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After relapse after relapse what has finally worked for me is a commitment to a daily exercise routine. I don’t know what your fitness history is but it can start with taking a 10 minute walk & looking to improve each day. You may end up looking forward to it! I’m rooting for you.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
It's been my experience that with time things do get better.
I, too, could never stop at a couple of drinks. I drank to get drunk. For a long time.
You've found a great place for support. Maybe post here if you get a craving?
Best to you. I was a drunk for thirty yeas and I've now been sober ten, so sobriety is possible.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a functioning alcoholic for about 15 years give or take, I say functioning but the truth was I was completely broken and completely insane. I must have tried quitting over 1000 times always promising myself and others I was done and it was the last time. Needless to say I relapsed again and again sometimes even a few hours later after promising my loved ones I would sort myself out. It was complete insanity and I was killing myself from inside out. The anxiety was becoming so bad I was bed ridden after binges and the sucidal thoughts seemed like comfort in those desperate times.
My problem was the cravings they where full body experiences I would be climbing the walls and justifying every relapse. I honesty thought I would never get sober.

Now over 2 years sober I don’t crave alcohol at all in fact it now has the opposite effect Iam actually slightly scared of the stuff. Therapy, mediation, yoga, healthy eating, exercise and honesty have helped Me get to this point. Stay sober and the brain will re wire and the cravings will go. The first year was the hardest by far. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 2 wks., Maui. We know what it takes to get there - well done.

I got to the point where every time alcohol was in my system, unexpected & dangerous things happened. I could never trust myself. I certainly had no willpower or control. The only way for me to stay safe & sane was to stop all together. Once I admitted that, I was able to get free - no more struggling to be a social drinker. We're glad you're here.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is a way out but it's hard at first. But it's worth the effort it takes.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maui, two weeks of sobriety is great.

And, yes cravings do appear out of nowhere. It helps to be prepared and to have a plan for what to do when a craving strikes. You might call someone, go for a walk, listen to some music, journal, whatever you think would work for you. And, yes, the cravings will lessen.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support.
Going thru this addiction it is not something everyone can understand without actually being an addict. With the support of this community, I think I will have a fighting chance. I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully not too many steps back.
Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on two weeks, Maui!

Here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7138494 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 434)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7137455 (Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, for reminding me what it's like 'out there'.
We're all here to help you. Many of us share your experience. And to the new comer you have helped by sharing your struggle and letting them know they're not alone in this.
I understand. I've been there.
Here's to no steps back. You can do it. If this chronic, functioning and later non-functioning drunk can do it so can you. I was a bad drunk at the end. Ten years later, I'm not.
You do have a fighting chance. There are ways out of addiction, you just have but use them. You're not alone.