Notices

Just a vicious circle

Old 03-06-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a vicious circle

Hi everyone , it's been a while since I last posted.

When I quit smoking....I drank more.
When I quit drinking....I ate more.

Eating has taken the place of drinking and smoking. When, I am on the phone I snack (just like smoking) When I get in the car I want to eat (just like smoking) When I come home from work I am craving food even if I'm not hungry (just like drinking) At 5pm I'm looking to eat (again) that's when I use to pour my first glass of wine. One addiction has lead to another. Has anyone else experience this? Or, am I the only blessed one. I really don't know what to do just like smoking and drinking It has a hold of me. I have gained 80lbs YIKES.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First off - congratulations on giving up the smokes and drink!!

Trying to quit smoking with a pack in the cupboard, or quit drinking with a bottle in the fridge, is not something anyone would recommend.

Same goes for food...

You don't mention what you're snacking on, but it might be a good idea to get rid of whatever it is, and stop purchasing it. If you must snack, maybe try to carry around sticks of raw carrot, celery, cucumber, or some other low calorie, nutrient dense food. You could even use fruit if you're opposed to raw veggies. Apple slices, oranges, berries, bananas are all healthy alternatives. A sugar free gum that keeps your jaw busy might also help to keep your mind off of it.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to watch myself a little bit as when I first got sober I tried to replace the drinking with other things like gambling & most of all sex, the addict brain is geared up for instant gratification, the small doses of dompine we get gives us a high and we get hooked. Now after 27 months sober my impulse control is a lot better but I still struggle sometimes.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REM700 View Post
First off - congratulations on giving up the smokes and drink!!

Trying to quit smoking with a pack in the cupboard, or quit drinking with a bottle in the fridge, is not something anyone would recommend.

Same goes for food...

You don't mention what you're snacking on, but it might be a good idea to get rid of whatever it is, and stop purchasing it. If you must snack, maybe try to carry around sticks of raw carrot, celery, cucumber, or some other low calorie, nutrient dense food. You could even use fruit if you're opposed to raw veggies. Apple slices, oranges, berries, bananas are all healthy alternatives. A sugar free gum that keeps your jaw busy might also help to keep your mind off of it.
OMG, quitting smoking was the hardest of them all. I like your idea about fruits and veggies. Unfortunety, I am not snacking on that now...I like carbs.

Good luck to you on quitting smoking and drinking.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I have to watch myself a little bit as when I first got sober I tried to replace the drinking with other things like gambling & most of all sex, the addict brain is geared up for instant gratification, the small doses of dompine we get gives us a high and we get hooked. Now after 27 months sober my impulse control is a lot better but I still struggle sometimes.

Yes, yes our brain is geared for instant gratification and it always wants it. Good for you that you were able to control your urges it's tuff. Congratulations on 27 months.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've done really great giving up smoking and drinking. That's a huge accomplishment. I like REM's idea of stocking up on veggies and fruits for snacking. If you have them available in the fridge, then it's easy to grab them when you feel a craving.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Rewiring the brain is a challenge, but over time it gets easier. I second REM that if you are snacking healthy options are going to be the best and assist with weight loss

When I am hungry I will first have a big glass of water to see if I was just thirsty or not. If I am hungry I reach for the good stuff 80% of the time.
I gained 80 pounds when I was pregnant. I am finding that working out and eating healthy is the best for me.
I no longer crave alcohol, I never looked for a replacement
I do vape, I stopped cigs when I stopped drinking but I wanted a crutch so I choose to vape. I will stop if I get pregnant again.

Best of luck,